1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword Research

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by ZachH, Jul 8, 2005.

Hi Everybody

I’m doing a bit of keyword research here. I know there are paid services for this, but since I don’t do it that often I prefer to use the free services.

I want to find out how much certain keywords are used on all search engines accumulated. For this purpose I usually use Overture. Overture has a free service called a Keyword Selector Tool. The tool tells me how often a certain keyword is used on Overture. That is very interesting data, but I want to know how often the keywords are used on all search engines accumulated.

Let’s take an example:
    The word “chair” was used 104,224 times on Overture during May 2005. The questions is how much should I multiply the 104,224 with in order to get the number of times that “chair” is used on all search engines.

In order to answer this we need to know something about Overture’s market share. I’m looking forward to hearing your comments. What factor should I multiply the number from Overture with?

Thanks.

ZachH, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  2. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe it would be possible to determine the number of searches on other search engines, as they keep them private. For example, with google the main stats they release ore in the monthly Zeitgeist.

dvduval, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  3. ZachH

ZachH Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree because I'm looking for something that gets close, not an exact number.

ZachH, Jul 9, 2005 IP
  4. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    common practice in my circles seems to be to take the overture #'s, and multiply by 2.4 for the collective daily average across all search engines. (although I can't remember the reasoning behind the 2.4)

I take an overture count (from my trusty digital point keyword tool) and multiply it by 72 (2.4x30) and call that my collective monthly average searches.

Of course its impossible to confirm the #s, but this gets us in the ballpark.

Epica, Jul 9, 2005 IP