1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword order relevant?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by juko, Aug 4, 2004.

Hello,
    SEMrush
    I run a small site for an orchestra.
    www.juko-stuttgart.de
    It is quite astonishing that the site is listed #1 for the search town orchestra.
    However it is only #31 for orchestra town.
    Is the order of the keywords relevant for Google?
    I thought it does not matter.

Could someone clarify this?
    Thanks in advance

juko, Aug 4, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    You appear to have answered your own question!

Will.Spencer, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  3. leo

leo Peon

Best Answers:
    The question aims deeper than is obvious at the first glance: I have made similar experiments and got the impression, that G! tries to make "sense" of the KW sequence. There seems to be a data base which determines whether a particular word and combinations of this word with others is a frequently used search item and if so, it ranks the combinations different from a less frequently used combination of the same words. Only if the words convey the same "meaning" - or better: if they are used with equal frquency - then ranking is independent of word order. This finding is, by the way, supported by jukos posting. A town orchestra is certainly more frequently searched for than an orchestra town.

leo, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Big assumption!

Orchestra town is to my believes searched more often but... With the word 'in' in between. ("in" is a very common word and was not included in your search. - G) Thus becoming orcestra town instead of orchestra IN town.

It does depend though on what they are looking for. If the search for a known orchestra, for instance London Orchestra then yes that will be the likely order. If however they search for any odd orchestra in a town then I think they will seach Orchestra in Town X.

A search query, and especially for not so savvy searchers, is often an answer to the question - What are you looking for? Answer: Orchestra in London.

Just my experience/findings.

T0PS3O, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  5. juko

juko Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your answers.
    So one could say that what Google does is a combination of exact matching like when you search for "word1 word2" in quotation marks and a loose matching of all the given keywords, right ?

Thanks again.

juko, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  6. leo

leo Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry - there was a misunderstanding from my part: when I wrote "orchestra town" I really meant that and not "orchestra <town>" (with town a variable to be replaced by a town's name). So - tops30 is certanly right with his remarks.

I wonder whether writing "orchestra in <town>" would not help to prevent the suppression of "in".

leo, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I'm not too sure myself on what they mean with 'not included'. It is stored in their cache and it is used for exact matches so perhaps it might help using that little word in titles etc. but then there will be those argueing it will dilute the strength of the other words.

Tough one.

T0PS3O, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Keyword order is definitely relevant... Try it with any multi-word search on Google, and you will always get completely different results by mixing the words around.

digitalpoint, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  9. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keyword order is absolutely important. I don't have time to search it, but it is explicitly written in google's site.

nohaber, Aug 4, 2004 IP
  10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Shawn. I was totally surprised that anybody ever consider otherwise. Certainly Google will return pages that contain all the keywords but not necessarily in the exact order or in continous phrases, but they don't give them all the same ranking.

In the example you are giving it seems to me that the two versions of the keywords you mention have potentially significantly different meanings. Google wouldn't be doing their job if they think both of these terms have the same relevance for your site.

compar, Aug 4, 2004 IP