1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword limits?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Mia, Nov 16, 2004.

Is there a limit to the number of keywords you can have in your meta keywords tags? Also, does the order in which keywords are listed in the meta tags relavent?

Thanx.

Mia, Nov 16, 2004 IP
  2. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    There is not limit, but ofcourse most search engine probably consider the first X number of keyword ... and keyword spamming (repeating the same one over and over ) is not good.

I would think order is relevant, but the advantage gained from it is negligable so it doesn't really matter. Just have your most important keyword in the first few positions.

payoutwindow, Nov 17, 2004 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Great. Thanx!

Mia, Nov 17, 2004 IP
  4. SEO_AM

SEO_AM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Jeremy,

A good rule of thumb is to not repeat any given word more than 3 times. Also, no one page should go beyond 3-4 primary keywords per page. On super competitive keywords it should only be that keyword for that page.

SEO_AM, Nov 17, 2004 IP
  5. Scoreboard

Scoreboard Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry too much about Meta keywords anyways. Most of the major engines ignore them or don't weight them enough to merit much thought. Some of our most popular client sites have done just fine excluding them entirely, although we went back in and added some minimal info just to appease the largely unused Meta engines.

Scoreboard, Nov 17, 2004 IP
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I feel that Yahoo in fact scores down sites who have keywords in the meta that don't appear on the page, although I have not carried out scientific tests, it is just a gut feeling from work I have done. This could equally have been caused by raising the density and prominance of the correct keywords as a result of removing the crap!

Old Welsh Guy, Nov 17, 2004 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I've noticed that too and use Addme to check my site content to make sure I have all the keywords in my meta tags appearing on the site. I have put a lot of them on the site in an opaque color that does not show up too well to the naked eye, but will register with a search engine.. Anyway, I think it is probably pointless now to have meta keywords given the fact that they do not matter much if at all anymore. I guess I will concentrate on having the keywords appear on the site itself.

Mia, Nov 17, 2004 IP