1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keeping Joomla Site Safe/Clean

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by wexzone, Dec 28, 2013.

I have several joomla site and lots of wordpress sites. I find that it is very difficult to keep the Joomla sites free of malware, just because there are not many security extensions that can help.

I scan my Joomla sites every few days here: http://evuln.com/tools/malware-scanner/

But, you could use any scanner. Typically, the most common malware I get is one that redirects my social and google traffic.

Does anyone know of some decent security extensions or help for keeping your joomla site safe?

wexzone, Dec 28, 2013 IP
  2. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've made several dozen sites with Joomla and have never had this happen. My best guess is that you have installed an extension that has some sort of cross-site scripting vulnerability. Old, outdated extensions might be prone to this. I would do a google search on any third party extensions you use, along with the term xss and see if any of them are known to have exploits.

I'm not sure of any specific extensions to refer you to, as I've never had the problem. Have you checked the "Site Security" section of JED?

Foxxy, Jan 25, 2014 IP
  3. sarah_23

sarah_23 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    sarah_23, Mar 30, 2014 IP
  4. Aff_Fan

Aff_Fan Member

Best Answers:
    To keep your joomla safe and secure:
    1. Backup your mysql (everyday).
    2. Backup your joomla directory (weekly or daily, according to your joomla requirements).
    3. Install ALL official upgrades (asap).
    4. Use external services like SiteLock.
    5. Change your admin passwords (monthly).
    6. Never use extensions or templates from unknown (hackers, black-seo) websites.

Aff_Fan, Apr 2, 2014 IP
  5. Kenneth Pabon

Kenneth Pabon Active Member

Best Answers:
    #6 Is always on my mind, when it comes developing new joomla site. Because most of hackers injected scripts in templates/extensions.

Kenneth Pabon, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  6. Claudia_A

Claudia_A Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Backup is crucial, I agree with Aff_Fan on this one. You may also want to check out this component http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security/site-security/spam-protection/25529.
    Claudia A.

Claudia_A, Sep 9, 2014 IP