1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just wondering ...

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Toon-c, Jun 28, 2011.

I have a Tunisia Travel Guide, been up and running for almost 2 years now .. quality unique content, I make videos and post them regularly ..

I don't think that there is a website that gives better information in this field ..
    http://www.tunisia-tourism.org/

I thought that submitting it to DMOZ will be great ..

I found the appropriate category
    http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Africa/Tunisia/Travel_and_Tourism/Travel_Guides/

and it seems that this category was never been updated ..
    no websites in there, just pages from Yahoo, lonely planet, worldtravelguide and a couple of gov websites ..

I'll never get my website listed , would I ?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    Toon-c, Jun 28, 2011 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Check out the bottom of the page where it says:

Though remember, you'll need to add several sites as you add yours or it'll be considered self serving.

So hit up google, or other directories, find some competition & add them to your app. Don't worry about them being competition though, as in the end, it's just a DMOZ link.

Qryztufre, Jun 28, 2011 IP
  3. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    May be this category is inactive or volunteers are not taking the pain of approving new websites (since they are not getting paid for)

Try submitting your website, may be you are lucky and get listed soon.

C.Rebecca, Jun 29, 2011 IP
  4. Alex060985

Alex060985 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would strongly suggest sorting out the hanging on the site otherwise you will be rejected.

For some reason you have a server that is taking over 2 1/2 minutes to resolve one content page?

I would also suggest not posting 'like for like' wording on facebook to promote your articles/pages, you need to aim to keep that text different from your site as they carry much more strength than your site will.

Google Search Results

Thats the results of only a little of your text.

Alex060985, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  5. Toon-c

Toon-c Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your post , you seem that your are trying to help ..

BUT

You must check your connection speed ..
    The pages load very fast for plenty of people .. and the server is really great

First, the results in Google showing in the first place are from the websites, so I don't know what are you talking about .. maybe you are seing it differently, but check using online tools and you will see that ..

second, you suggest not promoting on facebook ? lool ..
    that's bringing me a lot of traffic .. I don't care if it hurts (and it's NOT) ..

Thanks for the input though ..

Toon-c, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Its nice of you to thank him, too bad you didn't listed to his advice...

Not as slow as him, but, erm, FAR FROM FAST for me, and it's the only site I've been to today that lagged...

Eventually duplicate content WILL catch up to you....

that's NOT the suggestion, its the method you are using to promote on facebook that was suggested against.

And if you don't care if things are hurting your site, why bother asking for things to help it?

back to the loading issues...

Loading your photo pages brought me back memories of using dialup. In fact, I started loading the page at the beginning of this post, am now ending it, and the first photo page is still loading.... for what people is your site working fast for?

Qryztufre, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  7. Toon-c

Toon-c Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey ...

Don't bother with our discussion, me and Alex060985 have a little "dispute" going on ! that's why my answer seems odd !

anyway, wasn't aware of the slow loading issue ... maybe the website is too much crowded .. I will try to improve that ...

And sorry about the duplicate content thing, Google isn't that stupid .. been using the same method for a year and a half now, and the duplicate content didn't "catch up" to me ...

But I will change the words that's not an issue ...

the facebook page is linking to the website, also, the content is first indexed in the website, not in facebook ..

Toon-c, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  8. eurogal

eurogal Peon

Best Answers:
    Add sites map plugin to your blog so that google and bing can find you.

eurogal, Jul 4, 2011 IP