1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just got a dmoz listing in the directory under a weird catergorey

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ausports.com.au, Jun 18, 2005.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I run a sports directory website in australia and have over the last 6 months been trying to get my site listed on dmoz.org under sports/clubs/various different sports. I got knocked back for all of the sports catergorys except one. Adventure racing? I have over 100 sports listed on my site( mind you not all complete as it is a work in progress). I just wondered why is there some sort of inclusion to see how your link goes and then if it goes well they might take all my submissions?. I find it funny cause its the first one that i submitted.

Anyway any comments regarding this would be appreciated.

Andrew

www.ausports.com.au
    (sorry cant be a link I am new on the forum and need ten posts before i can link to websites)

:)

ausports.com.au, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Jun 18, 2005 IP
    rob777 likes this.
  3. KingSEO

KingSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ often takes very long time to process submits. Perhaps all of your submits will be included? ;)

KingSEO, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  4. ausports.com.au

ausports.com.au Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks site tutor for making my link live.
    Grazzy - I hope thats the case that maybe it just takes a little longer i am still happy to have a catergory listed on there no matter what it is .

Thanks for your comments

ausports.com.au, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well, just hope that an editor from a totally unrelated category doesn't decide to start wiping out sites like it happened to me.

DMOZ sucks

fryman, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  6. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    Submitting to more than one category is againist the guidelines. Submitting deeplinks is against the guidelines -- that might have something to do with it.
    Anything still "under construction" usually gets deleted - as its against the guidelines to submit a site that is sill "under constuction"

Also a lot of links in the site go around in circles with no content. IMHO it would not, generally, be listable.

Birdie, Jun 18, 2005 IP
    rob777 and nyssa like this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    There seems to be a lack of consensus about this among DMOZ editors, or at least the ones who post on forums like this one, as there is for the claim that resubmitting a site pushes your site to the bottom of the submissions queue.

If even DMOZ editors can't seem to agree on the rules, is it reasonable to expect that webmasters should know what the rules are?

minstrel, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    And since they cancelled their forum, you can't even ask what to do anymore. You are on your own, and the DMOZ gods don't have time to waste answering your questions...

fryman, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  9. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    My understanding and from what I have observed is that if the exact same URL is submitted to the same category, then this does generally overwrite the previous submission with the new date, but for some reason it does not necessaily happen in all cases (which might explain some confusion between editors).

If the submission is to different category (which appears to be the case in the first message of this thread, which is against the guidelines), then this does not overwrite anything.

Birdie, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Whether that is true or not, Birdie, it doesn't alter my point, which is that a common reaction to complaints or criticisms of DMOZ is that webmasters don't read and adhere to the rules - and yet clearly with respect to certain rules at least even the DMOZ editors can't seem to agree on exactly what those rules are.

Baldly stated, that's like saying, "We insist that webmasters adhere strictly to our rules, even though we're not really certain ourselves what the rules are and those rules may change at any moment depending on which editor looks at your submission".

This is one example of where DMOZ really should get its act together.

11. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ does allow multiple submissions, but not the same URL to multiple categories. IMBD is a good example - they're everywhere in DMOZ in various Art/Entertainment categories and subs.

I completely concur with you minstrel - consensus and consistency would be very nice for all involved!!

DMOZ does still have forum Resource Zone but they do not allow you to ask about the status of submissions unfortunately :(

I've had limited success emailing an editor directly, but that can be a kiss of death with some editors, so do so with a risk implied.

Finally, be glad you got listed, albeit not the category you were seeking. If your site is still being built as you put it, don't be surprised to see a higher-up-the-foodchain editall pull it without notice or explaination. Also, being listed in DMOZ is the ONLY way to get listed in the Goolge Directory and many others, like AOL, Netscape and many other lesser knowns that are fed by OPD = many quality one-way IBL for you!

Good Luck and Happy Ranking
    w

wrmineo, Jun 19, 2005 IP
    JohnScott likes this.
  12. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ does allow multiple submissions, but not the same URL to multiple categories. IMBD is a good example - they're everywhere in DMOZ in various Art/Entertainment categories and subs.
    PHP:
    No, DMOZ does not allow multiple submissions. However editors may decide that certain websites justify additional listings, or for some sites such as IMDB or Wikapedia, a consensus may be reached that very large numbers of pages may be used and in those case, editors are encouraged to list as many pages as they wish. It does not mean that IMDB is allowed to submit thousands of sites.

macdesign, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  13. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    I have not seen any inconsistency from editors. The standard advice is submit one URL once to the one best category (with the exception of the regional and topical category). Can you point us to where the advice has not been that?

Additional listing and deeplinks (and some sites have 100's) are at the descretion of the editor in "exceptional" circumstances. This has been stated consistently ad nauseum in many forums by many editors.

Birdie, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Oh, please! Cut out the bafflegab, Birdie :mad:

I'm not going to do your groundwork for you, Birdie. Look at what editors have said in the various DMOZ threads in this forum and back at WPW. Not only have there been inconsistencies in what editors have claimed but some (e.g., Alucard) have even acknowledged that fact here at DP - especially about re-submissions but also about whether one can submit to more than one category.

One of the main things I enjoyed about discussions with Alucard (and some with you in the past elsewhere) has been the lack of this sort of Resource Zone nonsense - blatant denial of reality. Please don't start that here... I would hope you were above that.

15. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple fact:

As soon as you click on "Suggest a site" at DMOZ you are greeted with this message:
    The above link to the submission policies takes you to:
    and
    Can it be made any clearer?

Birdie, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You're still missing the point.

Whether or not it's clear to me, or even WHAT is clear to me, doesn't matter if DMOZ editors are giving conflicting advice or conflicting versions of the rules.

Perhaps all that information should be conveyed to them a bit more clearly, as a starting point.

And once again, I would suggest that you lose the Resource Zone attitude. Alucard, and to a lesser extent Jim Noble and compostannie, have demonstrated here that it is possible to have a reasoned and noncombative discussion with DMOZ editors about DMOZ problems. We don't need the standard Hutcheson, donaldb, and cronies RZ crap and bafflegab here -- all that will get you is return fire.

17. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:

You're correct, I should've exercised better clarity in my attempt to be concise - multiple listings, not submissions. However, to further clarify so no one gets excited or the wrong ideas, that means a site with a very wide genre of information, with separate url/directories/etc. containing different information could be listed in many categories; I have four listings so far for one website.

Thanks for correcting and clarifying!

wrmineo, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  18. nyssa

nyssa Member

Best Answers:
    Really difficult to understand DMOZ, website like mine(same category) are listing and listing more day by day, but my sites bad luck, never get in there .. Strange.. I studied 2 days all the guideline and submitted as simple way but look like people who have site link on similar category they may be looking that category and they don't want their competitor to be there ..:) what ever :) still going to try last chance..

I apoloize If my guess is wrong :(

nyssa, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How nice to see a six year old thread resurrected.

Some advice: Stop suggesting your website to multiple categories lest you be mistaken for a spammer.

jimnoble, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  20. nyssa

nyssa Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply, wondering If you know more answers,
    How long do I have to wait to resubmit in same category.
    I have incident : one of the SEO company they submit my site (with charge) in different category, later it was also not approve, my question its been about to 6 month I have submitted do you think I have to resubmit it or just ignore and forget about DMOZ. I am thinking to give a last try, advice me please I just don't wanna be spammer..Thanks

nyssa, Aug 17, 2011 IP