1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just finished building website and blog - now what?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by camhabib, Feb 4, 2009.

First post here, found it through on Google and got quite a bit of good information from various posts.

I have just finished creating my website and accompanying blog. The website is hosted by a company called SmugMug, a dedicated photo hosting company which allows you to make CSS and limited HTML edits to their template. The blog I have set up is through Blogger and is a blog related to general photography and associated technology.

My main job in life is as a biochemist grad student, but I do make a few dollars here and there from my photography. The main purpose of the site was to allow clients and just the general population to view and enjoy the hobby that I enjoy so much. The fact that you can purchase pictures brings in little income and is not my main focus for it. The purpose of the blog is firstly to spread on to others what I have gone through the trouble of learning and finding out (often the hard way) but I would like it also to make some money for me instead of just sitting around idly.

As you can see, I have placed no ad's on my main site, in accordance with its purpose. However, on my blog, I have attempted to place a few Google ad's here and there. The blog has been up for only 2 days, has had >80 unique visitors, and only one or two clicks despite a several hundred impressions. I have taken the steps of insuring my site and blog come up in a Google search, have listed on sites such as Technorati, reddit, Ping-O-Matic (after every post), as well as one or two others. I have also started making an effort to post on other photography related blogs, including the address of my blog, as well as including the address of my site and blog on signatures of various forums.

I'm just looking for general guidance on where to go from here. I would like primarily to generate more traffic, which I assume in turn will generate increased revenue. Is there a change I can make to optimize my ad placement or exposure to my reader base? I hear a lot about adding "keywords" and "meta tags" but know little about them or how I would go about adding them. Any suggestions, comments, or thoughts are appreciated.

Site address: camhabib.com
    Blog address: blog.camhabib.com

camhabib, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  2. Chancey

Chancey Active Member

Best Answers:
    NOw you will have to do your SEO or hire someone to do it for you.

Chancey, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  3. alber859

alber859 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should try to exchange links with other website in the same nice.

alber859, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  4. camhabib

camhabib Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there any site or reference you recommend to attempt to learn a little about this myself? I'm pretty good with coding and what not, but I've mostly worked with kernel programming and PHP/SQL stuff, vs HTML work.

camhabib, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  5. camhabib

camhabib Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you recommend I go about starting on that? Should I just start Google'ing "photography blog" and ask people to link to me and say that I'll add a link to them?

camhabib, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  6. kodut

kodut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes go to the link exchange forum and exchange some links and as traffic builds go for seo
    or directory submissions

kodut, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  7. Chancey

Chancey Active Member

Best Answers:
    the first thing that you should be doing is to have your site on your signature so each time you post here you will get a back link.

For reference, try reading the SEO section!

Chancey, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  8. camhabib

camhabib Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I'll take a look at it now.

camhabib, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  9. camhabib

camhabib Peon

Best Answers:
    I attempted to add a link in my profile, but it gave me a message saying I was too new a member to have that feature enabled. Oh well. As for the SEO section, I'll check it out right now. Thanks.

camhabib, Feb 4, 2009 IP