1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just another IE vs. Firefox vs. Mozilla thread

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Leveller, Oct 25, 2005.

Yep, I have a problem with CSS and the browsers. I write all my pages for the IE, but recently I saw how strange they look in Firefox and Mozilla.
    I searched through Google, browsed tons of forums, but it didn't help me.

The problem:
    I want to avoid tables and use DIV-boxes instead. It works fine in IE. But in Firefox and Mozilla the blocks/boxes have a different size. I could figure out that the padding is the problem. Is there a way to keep the padding and fix the differences or do I have to find a solution without padding? How would a solution without padding look like? Oh, I forgot to mention that there's content in the boxes and that may make it look weird...

Example (height is the same, but different output in browsers):
    div#left {background:#000077; position: absolute; width: 200px; height: 500px; top:30px; left:0px; padding-left:10px; padding-right:10px; padding-top:5px; padding-bottom:5px}
    div#main {background:#F0F0FF; position: absolute; width: 520px; height: 500px; top:30px; left:200px; padding-left:10px; padding-right:10px; padding-top:15px; padding-bottom:5px; z-index:0}
    div#right {background:#000077; position: absolute; width: 80px; height: 500px; top:30px; left:720px; padding-left:10px; padding-right:10px; padding-top:5px; padding-bottom:5px}

Leveller, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ie has a bug with padding with fixed widths (padding-inside for IE versus padding-outside with mozilla/Firefox) It's Firefox/Mozilla that render it properly. You can do a search for css ie6 padding issues and they could explain it a lot better than I could.

mjewel, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  3. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm not surpriced

latehorn, Oct 25, 2005 IP