1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just analyzing ad_network_ads.txt ...

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by rudi, Sep 4, 2004.

... and what I've found.

Digitalpoint.com have 16 links there
    Sendwu.com have 13 links

Nice random... For example airmp3.com that have weight app. equal to digitalpoint, have only 3 links.

I have a question to another memebers. Can You check Your coop files?
    I have a question to DigitalPoint.com. Do You have weight 10 times more than really big site airmp3.com ?

Edited: simply check coop log from another site:
    Digitalpoint - 9 links
    Sendwu - 13 links
    Airmp3.com+Bresso.com - 3 links

SEMrush

rudi, Sep 4, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    How would you know the weight applied to Bresso/AirMP3 and how would you know the weight applied to Digitalpoint?

schlottke, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  3. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    I assumed he was just using a site: check to see the number of pages in each, but of course, there are other secret weighting factors involved. I know Digitalpoint has said small sites can gain from this as well, but I admit it is hard for me to imagine how. Still, sometimes I am just unable to visualize things that are clear to others.

dazzlindonna, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  4. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    I'll give my $.02 because I am a total ad network believer....

For your Christmas site, let's say you have 230 pages indexed. Let's take out a bunch of variables from the ad network weighting and just for the time being assume number of indexed pages is the only factor (doesn't affect the argument, just makes the example easier to work with). Given this assumption, your 230 pages submitted to the network should get you 230 links back to your site (or whatever you choose to use them on). You give up 1 link position on every one of your 230 pages, and in exchange get 230 links back! As the network grows, the probablity grows that the links back will span a larger and larger number of different sites. Also, the probably grows that more of your links out will not link to the same sites linking back to you.

If you were going to go on a link building campaign, how much effort would you have to go through to get 230 reciprocals? I would say a lot. Now, are you a believer that non-reciprocal links are better than reciprocal links? If so, how much harder and more effort would it be for some significant percentage of those 230 link exchanges to be 3-ways, so they were not reciprocal? Again, I would say an awful lot.

Many people give up site wide links ... a link on every page to the same URL ... so maybe you trade a footer link on your site for a footer link on someone else's 230 page site ... this provides very little SERP benefit. It is much better to get 5 links from 50 sites (or even better 1 link from 230 sites) if you want to improve your SERPs.

Now ... it *appears* (CAUTION: Pure specualtion now ...) to me another huge advantage of the CoopAdNetwork is that as google finds and registers the links, it doesn't immediately forget/unregister the link when a new link is found on that page at a later spidering pass. In other words, your 230 links coming back to you may actually register as many more than 230 links to google at any point in time. The dynamic display of the coop link I think will mean backlinks register for longer than the average time between spidering passes. I say this because prior to the coop ad network I had a mini version I used between my own sites and the backlinks would grow over time for all the sites.

I hope some of that made sense .... not always as clear and articulate as I should be in the forums ;)

Bottom Line - I guess it is this: I don't think there is a better alternative than the coop ad network for the effort expended and the benefit received.

Nitin M, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  5. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks dude. Actually, I understand 99% of what you said (and always have). I guess what I've never been clear on is that a 230 page site would get 230 links in return. Are you sure about that? (Not trying to argue, I just am unclear if this is really true or not). If true, then of course I understand how that would help. I guess for whatever reason, in my mind, I was imagining more along the lines of a handful of links back for a 230 page site when competing with lots of sites with 30,000 links.

6. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    Only shawn knows for sure ... my guess is that the numbers may not work out exactly even when the number of sites in the network is not that high... but as the numbers go up, you *should* get out what you put in. Shawn stated he was not taking any advantage (though I personally believe he is entitled to some) over anyone else in the network.

We know there is more to the weighting then just number of indexed pages, so those other factors will have some affect as well.

Nitin M, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  7. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I trust Shawn is being fair, mainly because I have his address and staked out his house- but also because he seems to be pretty honest... lol.

schlottke, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  8. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely didn't think Shawn was taking advantage...hope I didn't imply that. I guess just somewhere along the line I never figured out that "you *should* get out what you put in". Probably just missed something somewhere. No biggie. I probably shouldn't even bother to try to understand the math - not my best subject. :)

9. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    You didn't imply it DD ... seemed like Rudi may have been questioning it.

I think people that have been around the forums for even a little while have quite a bit of faith in Shawn's honesty and ethics.

Nitin M, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  10. rudi

rudi Peon

Best Answers:
    schlottke, look there (ohh, I can't place full link, showthread.php?t=2331 )

Virginia Realtors, I like ad network too, that's why I've joined it, but for now when googlebot come to my(or any) page, it will see digitalpoint(sendwu) with ~30% probability, and any other site with 1% or less - 3%(for really big site like airmp3.com as an example).
    Your theory with 230's pages site and 230 links in return will have only 3-7 links in fact. Now I see 2 links to top-real-estate-agents, so You can divide Your chances to 50 to get backlink to Your site on google for now...

rudi, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well first of all, if the ad is to the root of www.digitalpoint.com, it's not from my account. If someone is in the ad network, and for whatever reason they have not setup any ads yet, it will use a generic "Digital Point Solutions" ad in that case (rather than serve an blank ad). That is the only advantage that would be going on.

My normal account which has ads primarily for sendwu.com does not have any "extra" weight added to it. But what it *does* have is a whole bunch of weight bonuses from referring people to the ad network (just like anyone else can). The keyword tracker has a link to it for example, and it gets thousands of users per day in it. So I usually get a couple new ad network users signing up through the referrer link per day. So the account's referral bonus weight us much higher than even it's base weight. For ad network users that actually promote the ad network, they also have higher total bonus weight than base weight.

digitalpoint, Sep 5, 2004 IP
  12. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

Many thanks for taking the time to explain the situation so clearly to us all.

I suppose we should all be promoting the network so that we can take advantage of the weight bonus.

nadlay, Sep 5, 2004 IP
  13. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    I have noticed this effect in other situations, and if you noticed the top people in this forum, you will be able to see that they frequently swap around the links in their signatures, as this is helping them gain additional exposure.

nadlay, Sep 5, 2004 IP
  14. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    it certainly works better in OTHER forums, but hey, I wasn't using the space, so why not :)

disgust, Sep 6, 2004 IP