1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

June 27th revisited

Discussion in 'Google' started by MikeSwede, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all. I will PM you in a second.

No, never have and probably never will. Tell a lie, one of my sites had coop on it when I bought it and I removed it after about a week.

Jez, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  2. RedCardinal

RedCardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    Have to wonder if perhaps there is some correlation between this and the volume of sites (spam and otherwise) now targeting Google's SERPs? As Google's marketshare increases, more content goes live and SEO usage increases you would have to assume that we can only expect more of the same.

RedCardinal, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  3. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    The biggest problems started occurring around the time Nintendo started his billion sub-domain spammer thread. I've been wondering what kind of impact the expediential increase in sub-domain spammers and site scrapers is having on Google. I remember rumblings a couple months ago about comments attributed to Google about them running out of disk space. Maybe all of that spam is just overwhelming Google's infrastructure and this is creating instability in their data sets and algorithms.

KLB, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  4. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google has been dealing with spam for over 10 years.....

Not perhaps in the same magnitude but indeed its been a thorn and will continue to be such

Sem-Advance, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    More misinformation from Sem-Advance. :rolleyes:

Google hasn't existed for even 10 years, so I don't know how they could have been fighting spam for over 10 years.

http://www.google.com/corporate/history.html

minstrel, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  6. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    I love the fact that my site has been around longer than Google. :p

KLB, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    :)

So has mine, although it underwent a name (and domain name) change about the time Google came on scene.

minstrel, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  8. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Ditto on both accounts!

hulkster, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  9. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    I also went through a domain name and site name change in 1999. Although the change didn't have much impact on my SERP placement with any of the search engines.

KLB, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  10. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    The diskspace explanation seems like BS., Diskspace is very cheap especially for a company that is very profitable like google. You can get 100 gig drives for 100 bucks.

IamNed, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  11. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't forget this thread: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=97090

If Nintendo is anywhere near correct and he did provide some pretty good evidence (yes I know it's Nintendo we're talking about) we could be talking about around 5,000,000,000 pages of spam being indexed. Now assume that it takes on average a very modest 10 kb to store each page, that comes out to over 46 terabytes of data. If it takes on average 25 kb to store each page that would be over 100 terabytes of data. :eek: This would be on top of the 5 - 6 billion pages that Google normally indexes. In essence indexing all of that spam could have doubled Google's disk space requirements in a matter of a few months.

KLB, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  12. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    but my best guess is that they target different areas that has been used for spamming. My site got hit once again september 15th after having recouped in August. When I saw that it did recoup I did not so any changes to it, thinking that everything was ok and better leave it they way it is. This did not help since it seems that Google reverted back and I now see supplemntal results and old cached pages again.
    I was checking my stats during the so called update and what I did see a couple of days before was that I suddenly got a couple of thousand more visitors to my site!! On Sept. 15th it just went down the hill and what is left is probably the extra couple of thousand visitors I got the days before. It seems that they mixed the results first and then got rid of the old. Also when I look at what people have been searching for to find my site have changed. Some keywords, not even optimized for, are more common and is higher up in rankings, like on page one in 10 million pages which might be good but it seems like that is something people don't search for very often because you would think that if you are on page one you'd get a lot of traffic, right??

MikeSwede, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  13. sarathy

sarathy Peon

Best Answers:
    i would recommend hostgator to anyone who looks into cheap hosting., They are the best

sarathy, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  14. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    A comment I saw over at Webmaster World was for people to do the Google search "YourDomain.com */" and see if any scraper sites with goofy sub-domains with numbers in them show up. I don't know whether or not the search should be conducted with or without the quote marks so try it both ways. Some people who are having problems with these Google updates is finding lots of instances of these spam domains showing up for said search.

Maybe the rash of sub-domain spammers, site scrapers and splogs are helping to exasperate the problem by creating duplicate content penalties.

KLB, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  15. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    But if you are the original creator of the content don't you get priority?

IamNed, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  16. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    In theory this is how it should work. The problem is how in practice Google actually determines who is the original source.

KLB, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  17. DJRubio

DJRubio Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi guys,

it seems like a lot of people think that the june 27th problem is mainly a problem with google de-indexing pages. For my site, it has nothing to do.

I've lost my ranking on june 21st (not 27), the same way everybody's talking: showing # 30 and over for most of my keywords while I was #1 for over a year, my site showing #30 on "www.mysite.com" search, visitors coming from GG dropped from 18k to 2k... you know the pattern!

But unlike some of you, I've never experienced any drop in the number of indexed pages. Was at 98,000 on june 21st, and now getting 140,000!

Even with optimized unique content pages, with almost no competitors for a given keyword, my pages are still showing 30-40 and above. Still dont get it!:confused:

DJRubio, Sep 20, 2006 IP
    KLB likes this.
  18. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a good point. I think most of us have been very sloppy about reporting whether our sites have been delisted (e.g. pages removed from Google's index) or simply buried deep in search results.

I suspect that for most of us we weren't actually deindexed, rather our pages just got buried. I know this was the case with my site.

KLB, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  19. northstar

northstar Peon

Best Answers:
    I know I wasn't delisted just had 70% of my keywords dropped. I'm still listed at the top for a couple two word phrases but any of the single keywords that I had were mostly lost or buried. Some of the single keywords I can still find my site if I look 10 or more pages deep.

northstar, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  20. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You could report the delisting but I think with everything with Google its lumped in a massive pile of others reporting delisting and get the old "fix with the next algo change / update" or whatever dribblespeak Google engineers like to call fixing everything with one fell swoop....as opposed to any one on one type interaction

This is speaking merely on the organic listings side, not adwords or adsense which seem to get more personal with their problem solving...

Peace

Sem-Advance, Sep 20, 2006 IP