1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

June 27th revisited

Discussion in 'Google' started by MikeSwede, Jul 16, 2006.

Did anyone here ever figure out happened on June 27th? What exactly did Google change?
    It seems like they don't like querystrings in php pages anymore and if you have a sessionid then google saves it in the cache which causes problems later on.
    I still have tons of pages that are supplemental so I am just wondering if anyone that got hit that day have seen any changes to the better or not?:confused:

MikeSwede, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  2. Buckenmeyer

Buckenmeyer Guest

Best Answers:
    Ive read hundreds of posts on this and there is absolutely no pattern or criteria as to why certain pages got wiped out. I have many pages but only one brings in most of the money and thats the one that lost almost all traffic from Google, I get more from Yahoo now on that site. None of my little sites were affected at all and still receive 90% traffic from Google.

If they dont fix whatever they did im going to have to let my staff go and try to find more alternate sources of income very fast. I dont understand why Matt Cutts and Google completely ignore this issue.

Buckenmeyer, Jul 16, 2006 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  3. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    Loosing tons of money and it seems that NOBODY cares, just you and me because I don't see any other people care/post on this board either :)
    Maybe it was just you and me that got hit, but I have read on Matt Cutts blog in some comments that other people got hit too but he only says that they used the algo to update, nothing really exciting but there would be another one in a couple of weeks so god knows what will happen after that!!!!:mad:

4. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't believe that it has anything to do with querystrings and php pages because the sites that took the stronger hit, at least for me are pure html sites. Noone can really answer what happened because there isn't any clear pattern.

dkessaris, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  5. adolix

adolix Peon

Best Answers:
    my opinion is that this is caused by COOP. the only site that has "vanished" in google on June 27 is the site with COOP on it :rolleyes: of course, i am not sure this is the reason.... :confused:

adolix, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  6. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    The things I can see if I do a site search is that most all of my php pages with querystrings went supplemental but my genuine html pages are not.
    Another thing is that Google have the phpsessionid in the url so even if this page: pagename.php?catid=1 is different from: pagename.php?catid=2 in the result Google has kept the phpsessionid in the url so both pages have the same phpsessionid and treats it probably as the same page, OR maybe not :(
    I have removed all sessionid's from my pages now but google still want to use the old crap so once again I am guessing that they use old cached pages when they spider my site because I see a lot of old links I USED to have but are gone since about a year!!
    What next?!?

7. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't use coop so at least for me that can't be the reason!
    I think that something went terribly wrong because they decided to do something about spamsites and some PhD right out of school came up with the bright idea that "why not roll back everything to about year and go from there. I haven't seen any posts about spam sites before that, so we sould be fine, right?" so he shows his findings in nice charts created in MS Works and PowerPoint and everybody, except Matt Cutss who was on a vacation reading books while they hired some interns, thought this was the best idea since they decided to go public with their stock!
    And then, they looked at all spam reports and went through the DP forum to see what the problem was so they could fix it once and for all. They found out that a lot of spam sites used "searches" to generate pages so then everybody that use php and databases must be spammers! Eureka! Another bright idea from an intern at Google! He must have bought his degree online somewhere!!!
    Now they just need to find out how they can check to see if people are using .htaccess file to mod_rewrite because if they are, then they must be spammers.... Heck, why don't we just put them all in supplemental hell and then we can just wait until someone complain, check out the pages (or let Matt Cutts do it and if they are spammers we'll allow him to show it in his blog ...HE HE HE.... <grinning>) and if they are ok we'll let them in again!
    One thing though, we need to let all the big companies with thousands and thousands of pages stay, the ones with a TrustRank=$$$$ or else we'll be in deep shit!
    But hey, what about your cousin that used to make 7 grand a month in AdSense? "Yeah.. what about him? He can get traffic from MSN and Yahoo instead since they are better search engines anyway....."

8. Buckenmeyer

Buckenmeyer Guest

Best Answers:
    Like I mentioned, all different types of sites were hit, not just dynamic, so there isnt really any criteria or patern to go by. Its not just us, thousands of webmasters and small businesses (and some medium size i assume) had their income almost completely erased.

Buckenmeyer, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  9. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    Can email me and I'll see if we can get some sort of analysis going. It doesn't matter if you are a black-hat or not :) We won't publicise anything but an analysis maybe since the most important thing is that we know what is going on here!

10. wibr

wibr Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I don't mind posting my info about my sites. And the results of what big daddy did to them.

I don't use php for anything except wordpress blogs. Those blogs are ranking in the SERPS fine in Google. No supplemental pages either.

I have never been a member of any type of coop.

I don't use adsense.

The remainder of my pages use html and have .shtml extensions. I use SSI files and some javascript for navigation. That's it.

I trade links the old fashioned way. I email people and ask them. I contact related sites. We trade. That's it.

All content is 100% mine. No scraping, no RSS or XML feeds. Nothing. Just me typing at my keyboard and writing articles.

So to sum it up, I do exactly what google has always told us to do. Been doing it for years. Never had a problem with'em. Never had a problem with any SE.

Since BD I've lost over 50% of my pages, on all sites, to supp hell. I orginally lost all of them except their index.html pages. About half have come back into the SERPS. The rest may as well not exist.

Yahoo and MSN continue to rank and index my pages. Everything seems fine with them.

So what can we surmise from that? I'm falling into the "Minstrel and Old Welsh Guy" camp. Google tried some big algo change with Big Daddy. They went spam hunting. Failed miserably. And in the end they wreaked havoc on pure whitehat sites that just happened to get caught up in the spam hunt.

Google won't talk of course. So that leaves all of us to speculate and try to modify our sites to suit google's latest whim. I've stopped doing that. I'm not changing anything else about my sites for google.

F---'em!

wibr, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  11. alhoop

alhoop Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's bacuase pages dont have enough inbound links

alhoop, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  12. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    That's just an inane statement considering the factors and sites involved.

Christopher, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  13. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    well if you add June 27th and this upheaval taking place place at the moment, then my major Mobile Phone site is destined to die within months , its raanking have plummeted , supplemental pages everywhere , backlinks dropped PR 5 to PR 0 , no blackhat at all just a normal seo site???

why google?

mobilebay, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  14. diac

diac Peon

Best Answers:
    Too much power in only one hand...

diac, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  15. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    Send your URL to me and I'll have a look at it! I am trying to see a pattern of all sites that got hit! Maybe I'm taking on too much but who knows? Maybe there is a pattern in all the madness :)

MikeSwede, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  16. Boro

Boro Peon

Best Answers:
    Heureka :) Finally I think I got the right pattern which matches for all my pages that were affected by the 27th strange-days-update. If you have affected pages that dropped to nirwana (remember: site: www. example. com doesn't show your mainpage any longer at position one) could you be so kind and send me these by PN? If the pattern prooves to be real for all sites I will publish it.

Boro

Boro, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  17. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know, it may be pretty close to the mark. To get a big site deeply indexed, it usually takes a lot of pagerank and inbound links. What we can't tell just by looking, is how much PR is passed through each link.

The green bar doesn't give us a very precise figure, and it's not up to date anyhow. The link:command can only give a rough estimation, and it doesn't show most of the backlinks anyhow. And most importantly, we don't know which links Google has decided to discount.

Obelia, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  18. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems to me that Google is doing some anti-SEO filter or sorts? I see all the new top ranked sites in my industry are all sites that has little or no SEO work done.

maha, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  19. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    Also trying to figure out what happened!!

MikeSwede, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  20. shenron

shenron Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I setup my account on June 27th, so I believe I'm learning the hard way...
    Better this way than start fast and get crushed a couple of days after.

shenron, Jul 17, 2006 IP