1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jumped on the Adwords bandwagon

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by piniyini, Dec 9, 2004.

I signed up to adwords the other day to test the waters on 'affiliate marketing' like everyone on here keeps going on about.

Signed up with my debit card and I'm wondering how long it takes for payment to go through? Been 2 days.

I've never done anything like this before and am nervous on what is going to happen, and adwords seems difficult to understand.

As most newbie's often say, any tips guys?

I've only got one ad so far...

piniyini, Dec 9, 2004 IP
  2. stephaneggy

stephaneggy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My tip:
    Start easy, defenately set a daily max limit! If something goes wrong it stops automaticly.

Start with low pay per click and fine tune very much. Use lots of diferent keywords, texts etc, you slowly gonna see some good keywords, keep them and drop the bad ones, keep improving all the time

stephaneggy, Dec 9, 2004 IP
  3. piniyini

piniyini Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent thats music to my ears

I have set a daily limit, but I think It's too low

And I will 'fine tune' once the payment goes through

Thanks for the advice :)

piniyini, Dec 9, 2004 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    adw will show you when your daily budget is too low the ads will not show 100%

Closely watch the ROI. You can use adw code for this or have your own affiliate system and run agw as affiliate.

What I find usefull is one can have two ads and G will show them alternatively whilst working out click through which than will adjust the rate the ads are shown.

So when I have a set where it is close to 50/50 with similar CTR I tend to split these and run each in in its own campaign.

Also allows for some whacky ideas to be tested without killing the whole campaign.

Best of luck
    M

PS as long as you stay low you're unlikely to be hit by CF

expat, Dec 9, 2004 IP
  5. havok2004

havok2004 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I say first of all, always set your daily spending to $500 per day (max) as long as you are monitoring it it wont get out of hand, if you go low, your ads wont show that much.

THINK! I can't stress this too much, so often you think your ads will generate massive profits, but fail.. Think how often you think your clicks will generate sales. For instance, if you promote a retail store such as marshall fields, and your keyword is marshall fields, the people that click are most likely browsers, and not buyers. Make ads that will get sales, not just clicks.

Don't give up....at first i guarantee you will lose money, its a simple fact. Its the same with life, you must learn from your mistakes.

havok2004, Dec 9, 2004 IP
  6. mrjonman

mrjonman Peon

Best Answers:
    AdWords is probably the most significant advertising breakthrough in history (IMNSHO) but it does take some tweaking to get your ads "right". Changing even one word can make a difference in an ad's performance.

I believe that one of the most important things to remember is to have at least two ads running at the same time. This is called "split-testing". Review the CTRs after you have received a significant number of clicks and discard the underperforming ad. The "keeper" then becomes your "control" ad. Replace the deleted ad with a new one and begin the process of trying to beat the control ad all over again.

AFA determining how many clicks are a "significant number", that's open to interpretation. Perry Marshall (the authore of the best eBook on AdWords IMHO) has a free tool online that mat help. It's located at http://www.splittester.com/ It uses statistical analysis to determine the probability of long-term performance, given the # of clicks and ctr from two different ads. Perry also offers a gree email course on Adwords that is quite informative.

John

mrjonman, Dec 11, 2004 IP