1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla vs. raw .HTML? Will it effect my SE RAnkings?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by KGL, Jan 27, 2006.

I want to convert one of my sites that is basically 90% .HTML to Joomla.
    Said site has pretty good SE rankings, will switching it affect my rankings?

KGL, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  2. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    There are too many variables in the equation to give a good answer.

With Joomla you probably won't be able to recreate the interrior page URLs of your current site. Each of those pages have links, are aged, are themed and most likely rank for some combination of keywords. If you move to to a CMS you'll need to do 301 redirects on all of the old URLs to the new ones and expect some ranking / traffic changes for some period of time as the SEs figure out where the pages have moved.

Why are you looking to change?

-jay

classifieds, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  3. Edi2

Edi2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am considering also to move my well established static .html website to Joomla.

The reason to move is :
    1/ adding daily content easily.
    2/ getting it automaticly listed on my home page.
    3/template issue - quick change if needed
    4/ flexibility with banners and adsense - easy to change on all pages at once...

I have now about 400 pages on this website. Recently, one of my advertisers, who has affiliate banner on almost all of my pages, changed it's banner code, so I had to change that to on all pages ( took me ages)
    At the moment I placed phpAds for banners ( learned hard way) but I still think it might be better to have more flexibility for future "if"..

I want to further develop this site but I feel I am stuck because of these issues.

Or perhaps, I am missing something?
    Is there a way I can obtain all of this using only Dreamweaver ?

Thanks for any suggestion:)

Edi2, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  4. junjun

junjun Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're looking for consistency and easy updates only, a combintaion of template/snippets would suffice. Your advertisers adcode would be good for snippet.

junjun, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would NEVER use a cms for any of my sites. They are just not configurable enough for seo.

I use a system of php includes for example each page has
    <?php
    include(header.inc.php3);
    ?>
    main content here
    <?php
    include(footer.inc.php3);
    ?>

Within the header and footer files you can have the adverts and menus which are then displayed on all the pages.

The beauty of this system is you can change a 400 page html site to use this with no change in the filenames (use mod rewrite to parse html files as php files) or the urls at all.

mad4, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  6. Edi2

Edi2 Peon

Best Answers:
    junjun, thanks for good advice.
    a combintaion of template/snippets is what i have to explore before i go anything further.

mad4 - thanks for this tip too. i also feel cms is not good enough for seo, that's why i was very reluctant to do move from static .html.

i have to look into option you mention.

the trouble is, i am actually more the writer than "proper" webmaster, so i struggle with technical stuff. i learned simple usage of dreamveawer, but moving further is confusing. :confused:

does anybody have any good link for tutorial/info how to do snippets or/and php page as mad4 is suggesting?

thanks! :)

Edi2, Jan 31, 2006 IP