1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla vs Mambo

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by brandondrury, Jan 18, 2006.

I've done a little research and determined that Joomla is a spinoff of Mambo or something. I didn't get the whole story, but it appears that they are related.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't find it after searching.

What's the difference between Joomla and Mambo?

If there is a thread that already contains this, a link would be appreciated.

Brandon

brandondrury, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  2. KernelXP

KernelXP Guest

Best Answers:
    Theres really no difference. Theres a bit of politics behind the split but its the same software. It's a great CMS, though I found it tricky when it came to Adsense.

KernelXP, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, Jan 19, 2006 IP
    MKInfo likes this.
  4. KernelXP

KernelXP Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I might look in to using Joomla again for some of my upcoming sites.

I was using a plugin in the past, cant remember the name? However I didn't trust it that much as for Alternate URLs it would put in the plugin authors Adsense ID.

KernelXP, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  5. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    Hi sarahk thats a great hack.I've been looking for someting like this for ages.Thankyou:)
    Can you use javascript in it or do I need the mod_HTML mod (which I can't find).
    Great site too.I've bookmarked it.
    Now if only I'd asked in here before..............:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

MKInfo, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  6. Didoz

Didoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer Mambo, easy to edit it!

Didoz, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  7. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Like Sarah says, there's not a lot of difference between the two right now. Joomla is Mambo's old dev team and most Mambo mods work on Joomla for now.

I recently downloaded Joomlaspan's AdSense module for Joomla and, after installing it via the Joomla admin panel, found it to be pretty simple to configure (as long as your template includes the correct positions to publish the module to ;) )

Lever, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  8. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for appreciating my modules :). The latest versions of that module are much more simpler to configure. Try these:

1. Joomlaspan Google AdSense Module v 2.0 Regular Edition

2. Joomlaspan Google AdSense Module v 2.0 "ClickSafe" Edition

The "ClickSafe" edition has a feature to block Google Ads from showing on specified IP numbers. This can include your own IP to avoid your clicks from disabling your account! You can also use this to proactively avoid clickbombing from a particular IP if you notice any such activity in your logs.

Would appreciate your feedback on this. You can leave the comments either here or at the forum on my site.

Regards

medusa, Feb 12, 2006 IP
    Lever likes this.
  9. webavt

webavt Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is the CMS that is going to be growing exponentially. Mambo is not going to be as supported as it used to. At first I didn't want to make the switch, but then I realized that for the newest components/modules Joomla was going to be the next gen cms to go with.

-JB

webavt, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  10. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hated mambo... and as of now - this second - I'm uploading joomula, so we'll see.

Lpspider, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hate is a very strong word. Joomla is still basically Mambo so if you "hated" one, you'll "hate" the other.

sarahk, Feb 17, 2006 IP
  12. Lookinglass

Lookinglass Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi all, I stumbled on this thread at the top of a Google search. The last post posted here seems to be nearly 18 mopnths ago, so is Joomla still the way to go?? - I've got a site I wrote in the old Mozilla-Composer, all made up of tables, and am looking to get something more now - Is Mambo more "business friendly" or are Mambo and Joomla still the same with Joomla being better?

Sorry for such a dumb sounding question! :) On my Fantastico it says it has: "inline WYSIWYG content editors, newsfeeds, syndicated news, banners, mailing users, links manager, statistics, content archiving, date based content, 20 languages, modules and components" - sounds good but is it just marketing? Does Joomla have the same sort of stuff?

Lookinglass, Jun 6, 2007 IP
    Lever likes this.
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Joomla certainly seems to have all the attention but you'd need to go on the mambo and joomla forums and see which are looking the most active.

sarahk, Jun 6, 2007 IP
  14. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Mambo and Joomla! are still very very similar at the moment, after all Joomla! was a set up in late 2005 with the same codebase as Mambo 4.5.2 (if my memory serves me correctly) But watch out because Joomla! 1.5 is on the horizon, already out in Beta and a different beast altogether than the current Joomla! 1.0.12 I've not tested the 1.5 Beta 2 yet but I'm looking forward to finding time to giving it a go.

And yes, Joomla! does have the same sort of stuff. It has over 1000 extensions too if you're not happy with what comes out of the box.

Lever, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  15. kodut

kodut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well how can we compare them when joomla was out mambo was in

kodut, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  16. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Best advice is to set up both Mambo and Joomla! and see how you get on. With both stable releases being so similar it might be worth testing the latest Mambo stable vs Joomla! 1.5 Beta 2.

Lever, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  17. Lookinglass

Lookinglass Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the input all (and I confess I find the winking eye is enticing!) :)

It sounds a good idea to set up both of them Kodut, but also like a LOT of work for a fumbling newishbee? I keep trying to get a feel of what's possible combined with what's easy/difficult. It's normal to say anything's possible but generally we all choose something that is achievable and affordable in terms of time and effort. I found http://www.opensourcecms.com/ which OFFERED a play with all of the OSCMS out there, but I couldn't see how to actually do that. All I found was commentary. I've briefly visited the Joomla demo but haven't really managed to drive it. I can't say I find the demo that attractive and I've seen another Joomla site which is dreadful! Then again the promoodle site (Joomla + Moodle) at http://promoodle.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=49, while not my style, would be a fine framework to tinker with: change the colours, "wallpaper", fonts, maybe rearrange things a bit . . . But maybe it's easy to start afresh - I just haven't a clue.

Also, I'd like to find out, at first how easy it would be to transfer my existing site into either, and also how easy it is to transport the content to somewhere else later, so if I make a mistake I am not faced with days of cutting and pasting into a text editor!! As Joomla says: content is king!

IMHO they do make a meal out of a three level content heirarchy. Make sme think there's something else going on underneath. I've read the definitions but they don't describe what a "Wrapper" is and that seems to be a key concept or how wrappers might be edited (assuming they're some sort of CSS or theme or . .)

Is it possible to say from the perspective of content accessibility/portability, or of visual design capabilities or of ability links to other OS packages like Moodle - which is easiest but with flexibility to develop things like shopping carts, bulletin boards, etc or does that not come into it? I would like WYSIWYG or similar rather than trying to wrestle directly with code. I don't mind changing variables etc as long as the variables are global OR local. I don't want to have to seek out the global variable in every local expression it occurs in or be faced with weird consequences.

Also, hunting until 3 a.m.!, somewhere I read that J & M are sort of like blogs - that's not what I want. Then there's Drupal too . . . and as you say the all new singing and dancing Joomla 1.5 . . . it just gets worse :( What of upgrade and portability issues for the data/design.

My aim is to deal with content and ensure the site looks like I want it to and provides the functionality I know is out there. But I guess I can't learn it all in 8 hrs! :)

Lookinglass, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  18. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Lookinglass, there's plenty of templates to make a Joomla! site look good, or you can hack your own. Porsche Brasil is Joomla!

I know what you mean about the hierarchy of Joomla! root>section>category>article is as far as it goes, but you can split each article into multiple pages. I think 1.5 is supposed to address the deeper level issue but I cannot be sure.

I don't agree that J&M are just like blogs, but they do have blog facilities which I have never used. J! can easily be made to look like a normal site, see Porsche above again ;)

The wrapper is simply an iFrame; I pull legacy asp pages into a php J! cms site using the wrapper until there's time to dev them in php.

Hope that's of some use to you :)

Lever, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  19. Lookinglass

Lookinglass Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks Lever, yes it's really useful. :) The Porsche site is pretty "flash" I must admit. :cool: I'm trying to figure out how its construction ties into Joomla.

I can't get porsche.com to work on FF, is that too in Joomla? Starting at porsche.com.br I find 6 menu items (Categories?). If I select "Modelos", there are then 4 sub menus for it (Sections?) then, selecting the 911 for instance, there are 13 sub-sub-menus (Articles???). Hovering over these last menu items generates a sort of popup, but if I click on them I am directed to another page/site with a different format.

Could you explain how this structure "works" in Joomla jargon? and what advantage they may have got by using CMS as opposed to . . . something "more standard"?

Could I "pull" the pages from my site (phoenixchange.com) into Joomla in the way you describe?? Also I know next to nothing about php. Is that a deal breaker for using Joomla effectively (i.e. at least to the level of my existing site)??

p.s. Why J! as an abbreviation?

p.s.s Sorry for the barrage of questions! :p

Lookinglass, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Personally I wouldn't install both... I'd stick my neck out and go with one... and that would be Joomla right now. You can always change back...

sarahk, Jun 7, 2007 IP