1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla vs Drupal - Comparision

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by ablaye, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally feel that Joomla is now the best choice, easy installation and adminstrations & there are lots of components & extensions available//

Red_Virus, Feb 8, 2007 IP
  2. ztyler90

ztyler90 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Joomla is more popular, but through expierence i've noticed that it's very hard to use depending what template you have

ztyler90, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  3. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is terrible if you have any PHP/XHTML/CSS knowledge, it will seem too dumbed down for you. Otherwise, its probably a good choice.

Austars, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  4. DharmaSeo

DharmaSeo Peon

Best Answers:
    i heard drupal is much better, but joomla is doing pretty well with my sites

DharmaSeo, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  5. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    Not as buggy as other Sef options either ...

I also made the comment in this thread that Drupal appears to be a dying community. I appologize. It not as popular as joomla but it in many ways is more versatile and as far as doing well in the serps that it will.

reapr, Feb 11, 2007 IP
  6. sypad

sypad Peon

Best Answers:
    I've not used joomla, but I do like using drupal. One of the things I like about drupal is the amount of extensibility it supports through different modules. It's also great for getting you initially listed in the search engines - search engine friendly URLs, ping module, google sitemap module, etc. These are all things that can really accelerate getting listed in the search engines and getting a number of pages listed.

sypad, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  7. cmm

cmm Peon

Best Answers:
    Old thread.

Go for Drupal. Joomla is not for pro's, its a very basic CMS. I have used Joomla for 2 years, and after giving in and finally trying Drupal I wanted to kick my own ass for not trying Drupal earlier.

Drupal works like I do, Joomla is a dumbed down CMS and not very flexible. Sure, it will do what you want, and both CMS will work.. but if you want to dive in and do customization, Drupal takes the cake.

cmm, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  8. Qowiem29

Qowiem29 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla! is ROCK :D
    I learned this system by one month ago and so far I enjoy to use it.
    Regards

Qowiem29, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  9. dhana_space1

dhana_space1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Now, Joomla is SEO friendly.

dhana_space1, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  10. aminemx

aminemx Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Joomla is very user friendly

aminemx, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  11. Maxiorel

Maxiorel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal is a good platform for experienced web users/ web programmers. Joomla comes with a little bit easier user interface. But I recommend Drupal because of its modules and API.

Maxiorel, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  12. Paintball Guns

Paintball Guns Active Member

Best Answers:
    Best for blogs: Wordpress
    Best for simple site with a few pages: Wordpress
    Best for a full featured site (blog, forum, pages, etc.) where SEO matters: Drupal
    Great option for a full featured site where SEO doesn't matter but cool effects are easy: Joomla.

I use Wordpress, Drupal, and some others for ecommerce sites. I have tried Joomla but decided it didn't meet my needs.

Paintball Guns, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  13. tetet

tetet Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal is harder then joomla but drupal is more powerfull than joomla
    i use drupal in my site

tetet, May 11, 2008 IP
  14. daringtakers

daringtakers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal VS Joomla - Comparison

I have seen lots of members asking this question again and again, that which one is better, Joomla or Drupal. So I finally decided to write a review to help people choose a CMS which satisfy their needs.

Which CMS is better for you?
    If I am required to answer this question in one line, I will say The one which satisfy your needs, without lots of tweaks.
    Download and try few alternatives and see if they satisfy most of your needs, without needing too much customization.

I will review Joomla and Drupal based on their architecture, support, documentation, Learning Curve, available themes, modules, security, ease of administration, SEO, flexibility, Performance, ease of integration with other applications.

1. Architecture
      When it comes to architecture, Drupal wins. Architecture is the building block of any CMS, If you have right architecture, you can build almost any thing. Here's a comment from Deane Barker
      If you are a developer I will recommend Drupal to you, there's almost nothig that drupal can not do. Some features that you need may not be available out of the box. But developing your custom modules will be quite easier than Joomla.

2. Support
      Joomla wins. You can get both commercial and free support, forums are very active, joomla has bigger community than drupal so getting answers to your questions would be easy.

3. Documentation
      It's difficult to say who wins here. With joomla 1.5 documentation has improved significantly, on other side drupal API is also very well documented. You will find lots of good tutorials.

4. Learning Curve
      Joomla wins. Joomla is one of the very easiest CMS to learn. Drupal can be little difficult to learn initially.

5. Available themes
      Joomla wins by a huge margin. Joomla has lots of good templates to choose from, However recently nice themes are coming up for Drupal 6 also.

6. Modules
      Drupal has more free modules than joomla, But its difficult to find a good (and cheap) commercial developer. With joomla you have choice to get commercial support if you need some specific feature.

7. Security
      Drupal wins by a huge margin. you will seldomly hear some one saying that my drupal site was hacked. There are lots of big enterprizes using drupal, so there would be reason behind that.

8. Ease of administration
      Joomla wins, Drupal administration can be confusing, especially for newbies

9. SEO
      Drupal wins by a huge margin. It has built in support for SEO friendly urls, You can create url aliases and have whatever url you want. Other modules like metadata, page title, pathauto helps in creating a good SEO friendly site.

10. Flexibility
      Drupal is one of the most flexible CMS, There's alsmost nothing that you can not do with drupal, possibilities are unlimited. Drupal has built in support for Custom content types. Module like CCK, Content template and Views, when used effectively can satisfy most of the needs.

11. Performance
      Drupal wins, With joomla 1.5 performance has improved but still drupal blows away joomla.

12. Ease of integration with other applications
      Currently drupal wins. With plenty of available hooks, you can integrate it with almost any external application. There are tutorials available which explains how to integrate drupal with some of the popular applications.

13. Internationalization
      - Drupal wins, Its can be accomplished easily using i18 module, lots of tutorials are available

14. Multisite management
      - Drupal wins, It has built in support for managing multiple sites with one installation. Joomla does not support it out of the box, but it can be accomplished with some commercial modules.

Which big corporations are using Drupal
    - http://www.mtv.co.uk/
    - http://www.observer.com/
    - http://www.javaworld.com/
    - http://www.dzone.com/
    - http://www.ubuntu.com/

- For more, look at http://buytaert.net/tag/drupal-sites

Which big corporations are using Joomla
    - Honestly I don't know any, Some might be using and I may not have noticed. If you know any post in this thread.

Summary

Joomla and Drupal both are good CMS, The choice depends on you requirements.
    - If you have totally no experience, and want to start a nice looking site quickly joomla can be a better choice for you.
    - If you want flexibility, if you are a developer and ready to get your hands dirty, if you want better security and performance, Drupal can be a choice for you.

Personally I prefer Drupal :)

daringtakers, Jun 24, 2009 IP
  15. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is for the beginner/rookie and Drupal for the Pro ;)

bnandika, Jun 24, 2009 IP
  16. wilfordsy

wilfordsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice summary, I might say. Thanks for taking the time to make this dude. :D

wilfordsy, Jun 24, 2009 IP
    daringtakers likes this.
  17. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nicely explained....
    Actually your CMS should depend on your need.
    I am another Drupal lover.. :)

aap, Jun 24, 2009 IP
    daringtakers likes this.
  18. daringtakers

daringtakers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly...

I believe,

Why a CMS is better than another - Because it has almost every thing that you need from it. It does what you want it to do.. so its better than another.

daringtakers, Jun 24, 2009 IP
  19. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is a bolted pile of junk, Drupal rocks.

I never have figured out why joomla has so many followers.

Joomla is easy to download and install and then.. it is a disorganized buggie nightmare.

averyz, Jun 24, 2009 IP
  20. hospitaleracha

hospitaleracha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent, thanks for that, somebody should make it a sticky! SY

hospitaleracha, Jun 24, 2009 IP