1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla or WP?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by flippingenesis, Jul 21, 2009.

Which one works best for website flipping, or if I'm planning to create and sell websites --Joomla or Wordpress?:confused:

flippingenesis, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  2. webdesigners

webdesigners Banned

Best Answers:
    I think wordpress is easy to handle & manage sites. We recommend our hosting clients to setup their sites on wp if they ask.

webdesigners, Jul 21, 2009 IP
    gareth_esutera likes this.
  3. gareth_esutera

gareth_esutera Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress is very easy to customize and it has free plugins for virtually any purpose. You can use it to create websites that does not look like blog, photogallery, etc. If my clients request certain feature that I didn't know how to do, 85% of the time, there's a plugin somewhere that can enable WordPress to have that feature.

However, I heard from a previous client Joomla has certain nice features that can be more useful in business or company websites such as those little boxes that provide preview on what's inside the site. When I have time, I'll study Joomla.

gareth_esutera, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  4. theredsheep

theredsheep Member

Best Answers:
    We recently moved away from Joomla at this site mirthcorp.com and we run the frontend with wp. We found it easier to work with and customize and do all that we wanted.

theredsheep, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  5. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't beat WP - light weight, tons of free plugins & themes, massive community, extremely stable.

Pixelrage, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  6. apex2009

apex2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    for me i prefer to used JOOMLA 1.5, Joomla is more powerful as a Content Management System. i used joomla in all my clients, its a open source cms and lots of tons of free component, plug-ins, module in the web, and its absolutely free.. you can find it at thier joomla site...

So, if to compare these two software as a personal publishing system, I would say that Wordpress built around writing content and publishing that content. Joomla from the beginning built around presentation of content - reflecting absolute meaning for CMS - Content Management System. Managing content in some nice way first and only then writing and publishing it.

apex2009, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  7. Domino

Domino Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you look for a simple CMS take WP, its very simple and very reliable. I would take Joomla for more complicated sites with more functions but also more "heavier". I prefer WP.

Domino, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  8. wssadb

wssadb Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, WP has come on leaps and bounds in the past couple of years and is now unstoppable. The amount of plugins and cool themes make it the best option most of the time, especially how you can get a great looking website for under £50 (including hosting and theme)

wssadb, Jul 21, 2009 IP
  9. generaldozak

generaldozak Member

Best Answers:
    Word press is far better then joomla. I have my all blogs on workpress.

generaldozak, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  10. anakyn

anakyn Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer Joomla, is very powerful cms and you find a lot extensions free or not and you get support very fast. I use joomla on al my website. I recommend this CMS.

anakyn, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  11. Chocolate Lime

Chocolate Lime Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla, at present, is a far more power content management system. However, if clients are looking for a simple blogging, magazine or basic gallery site - Wordpress will be more than enough.

For more complicated sites, a hybrid of the two can be accomplished using a bridging component within Joomla 1.5

Chocolate Lime, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  12. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    For website flipping it may be easier & quicker to use Wordpress. Joomla is a far more involved CMS so it's more appropriate for bigger & more complicated sites IMHO

Lever, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  13. Designstrike

Designstrike Peon

Best Answers:
    website flipping i reccomend wordpress and for a selling website i reccomend joomla with virtuemart :cool:

Designstrike, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  14. masterwongso

masterwongso Banned

Best Answers:
    my answere is wp. I think wordpress is easy to use and works best for website flipping

masterwongso, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  15. grigson

grigson Peon

Best Answers:
    Yap. I agree with you.

grigson, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  16. cupid007

cupid007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I choose WP...

cupid007, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  17. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I very strongly disagree - sites like phone.com, graphics.net and seo.com are made with Wordpress -- Joomla doesn't hold a candle to those sites. The things you can do with Wordpress are just amazing, and nothing is more SEO friendly!

Pixelrage, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  18. theredsheep

theredsheep Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with markn26, and thus disagree with Chocolate Lime...

We tried Joomla and yes, you have lots of features and available options and solid CMS, but managing it is a bit complicated compared to WP. We had problems with modules, re-write rules and single sign on integration.

It took weeks just to do a couple of the tasks we wanted on Joomla, while the same tasks plus then some we were able to do in just a couple days with WP. The team involved in the transition had never used WordPress but had been using Joomla for 1+ year and immediately switched to WP after realizing how easy it was to do things in it. We even wrote a couple of plugins in less than a day to help with Role Scoper, vTiger and a Single Sign on backend system from Atlassian.

theredsheep, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  19. HighRankingSEO

HighRankingSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are trying to get them out the door quickly and most of the people using them don't need a sophisticated CMS then just use the bloggging platform of Wordpress with some plug-ins to make it a hybrid CMS

If you need some serious power, then use Joomla.

I use both....
    For bigger more powerful sites I use Joomla

for quick and easy sites I use Wordpress with a couple of special plugins....
    admin drop down menu, exclude page plugin, and some other ones...

HighRankingSEO, Jul 22, 2009 IP
  20. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress would be the way to go, because you can have it up and running in a matter of minutes. With joomla, you have to upload the files, run the install script and chmod almost a dozen folders to 666. The chmoding the extra folders takes time, and time is money.

With wordpress you upload the files, run the install script and your done. If you want to upload files you have to create one uploads folder and chmod it so 666. So that is 1 folder for worpdress and almost a dozen for joomla.

And then there is the bloat that joomla has. You can run a lot more wordpress sites on a server then you can joomla sites.

So if your leasing a server to showcase the sites and put them up for sale, your gonna be able to get more wordpress sites on the server then joomla - once again you save money with wordpress.

~kev~, Jul 22, 2009 IP