1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla on your desktop...tutorial

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by Edz, Jan 27, 2006.

Joomla on your desktop...tutorial

I thought this would be interesting for people that want to experiment with Joomla and don't want to spend money on a hosting account just for this reason. With this set up you can also test out your php scripts without the need of having a server that has php installed...you have your own server so to speak for testing your webpages with php scripts right away in your browser.

I found this tutorial in a magazine and tried it out for myself and the result was that i now have Joomla installed on my desktop and i can wade through the possibilities and options of Joomla to find my way around.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So what do you need for this set up?

The latest Joomla Release to be found here...http://developer.joomla.org/sf/go/projects.joomla/frs.joomla_1_0

Click on the Download icon

WAMP...this is the software that makes it possible for you to have your own desktop server...http://www.wampserver.com/en/
    WAMP is for Windows XP and Windows 2000 only

If you have Windows 98 or Windows ME then you need XAMPP...to be found here...www.apachefriends.org/en/
    PHP4 add-on to be found here http://www.wampserver.com/en/ for switching between PHP5 and PHP4, not all hosts have the latest PHP version installed.

Winzip or other software to unzip files - i used Winzip www.winzip.com
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Installation.

Before installation make sure you don't have any MySQL-services running anymore.

Double click on the WAMP.exe file and click through the installation procedure,

-> Accept the license agreement

-> Click Next

-> Now you will be asked where you want WAMP to be installed...it's best to leave this default as it is (i did as well)

-> Click next untill you reach the screen where you can checkmark the box for autostart up for WAMP services...if you
    don't want to overload your system upon start up check it to off.

If you wish you can always start WAMP by selecting ->Programs ->WampServer ->start WampServer

-> Click again on Next and after this on Install.

-> During the installation procedure you will be asked wich folder you want to set up as your >>DocumentRoot<< ...if you are more experienced with webservers you can select something else if this is not the case it's best to leave it at default >>WWW<<

In this folder you can later on place all your documents needed to be tested that you can view in your local browser... http://localhost

-> Click OK
    Now there will be a screen where you can set up your local browser, the default is>>explorer.exe but you could also select the .exe of Firefox or Opera...you name it.

-> Now you can complete the installation

-> Leave the checkmark standing so you can start WampServer immediately after you press Finish.

In the system tray you see a little icon that looks like a speed gage with a red pointer.

When the server is off you click the icon with your left mouse button to activate it by choosing >>Start all Services<< from the menu that will appear after clicking it with the left button of your mouse.

When you type http://localhost into your browser and everything is done correctly you will see a starting screen that will display wich components are installed on your server.

Configuration.

After installation of the WampServer the installation needs to be secured - a display message will appear that the root-password needs to be changed for security reasons. So password will be changed by doing the following...

The standard administrator holds the username >>Root<< but does not contain a password yet.

To set up a password do the following:

-> Left click on the Wamp icon that is sitting in the System tray

-> Choose >>MySQL Console<< in the menu that appears

-> A screen will appear where is being asked for the password of >>Root<< since there isn't a password set up for >>Root<< you can just hit enter for access.

In the screen that is before you type the following:
    * is a space

The indication of yourpassword is where you fill in your desired password

and then you type:
    * is a space

After this you will have to make adjustments in the configuration file of phpMyAdmin by locating this file >>config.inc.php<< through this procedure:

-> Start
    -> My computer (C: )
    -> wamp
    -> www
    -> phpmyadmin

And the file >>config.inc.php<<will be on the second row from the top and the sixth from the left.

-> Open this file by using Notepad ( i dragged the file to my desktop and opened it from there with Notepad and left the window>>phpmyadmin<< open) and make the following changes in this file:

The line,
    To make the search for these lines a little easier...they are approximately located on the 3'rd line from above and about 100 characters to the right, in that area you will find the lines as shown below.

does not have to be changed, the next part,

as you can see there has no password been filled in between the quotation marks - type the password you have made up earlier on in between these quotation marks.

So the line would look like this:

If your password was to be 123456

Then place (by drag and drop) the file back from where you got it and close the window.

When you are finished with this restart the MySQL Server (Left click on the speed gage icon in the system tray and choose restart all services) then,

-> Click on the icon with your left mouse button and select >>phpMyAdmin<<

(if you want to even work more safer then you would have to install a >>.htaccess<< file) (don't ask me about this because i have no idea and i did not installed this)

Making a new database and a new user..

Something important you have to remember is to never use the Root user for installing scripts - this is a great security risk since everybody that knows this password can do everything with the database.

With scripts you often have to provide the connection configurations to the MySQL Server including the Username and Password.
    If someone would retreive this information it's best to contain the damage as best as possible so first we will make a new Database and User.

-> First we make a Database with a random name (not>>Test<< because this already exist) by typing the name of the Database in the formfield that is residing in front of you on the screen of phpMyAdmin (We will use Database1)

-> Then click on >>produce<< (i translate it into produce because this likely what is been mentioned in the options - if not? - it will be the option that will be closest to this)

-> The screen will be refreshed and you will get a message that there are no Tables available in your Database - ignore this message and click on the house icon to return to the homepage of phpMyAdmin.

-> From here you can click on the link >>Rights<< (Once again this is a rough translation, so look anything that comes close to this option)

-> On the next screen you can add a new user by clicking >>Add a new user<< (This is a rough ...bla bla...you know what i mean ;) )

Now you will arrive on a screen with a lot of options,

Take these actions:

-> First you will have to enter the desired user name - for example ->>Testuser<<
    -> In the field >>Host<< - Choose >>Local<<
    -> Enter the password again (twice) that is entered before by you on other occasions earlier on.
    -> Click Start

The user will now be produced and you will see a screen where you can provide all kinds of rights to this user >>Testuser<<.

You only want to give the >>Testuser<< rights to the >>Database1<< that you just configured....

Scroll a little downwards untill you see >>Database specific priviliges<< (This is a rough ...bla bla...you know what i mean)
    ...right after you made this choice the screen will be refreshed...

->Click on Start

The new user now only has rights to the>>Database1<<

To see if this is correct log out by clicking on the exit symbol right from the little house icon..

(Something i never could do because it's nowhere to be found but i add this part in anyways because maybe you will get this option, i have seen numerous remarks about this on other places that this can not be found but it is not a neccesary thing if you only want to explore Joomla and work with it on your Desktop and that is what this is mainly about)

You will see a pop up screen that you can use log in again.
    Now fill in the information for your new user and after logging in you will see on your left only >>Database1<< and other Databases are not accessible.

Using the PHP4 Add-on.

The new PHP5 has some different features then PHP4 so it might be possible that certain scripts will not function properly under the newest function of PHP.
    A lot of webhosts don't support the latest versions yet because they rather wait for more stable versions to be released and the most stable version is according to many still PHP4.

If you want to test out your scripts on your own desktop it is best to have both versions to your disposal.
    On the Wamp website you can download this add-on and just like WAMP itself it is easy to install.

Double click the file and install the contents to the same folder where Wamp has been installed - this would normally be >>C:\wamp<<
    So if you used the Default configuration you are good to go.

After installation the server will automaticly be restarted.
    If you would view the menu by clicking on the wamp icon in the system tray you would see another option namely >>Switch to PHP4<< ....if you would click this option the server will be restarted so that PHP4 will be started as well.

In the same manor you can swith of course to PHP5

Ok, now the Joomla part.

-> Go into the WWW folder and make a new sub folder called Joomla

->Place the zip file you downloaded from www.joomla.org that contains the latest release of Joomla into the new folder Joomla

->Unzip the file so that all files will be unpacked in the Joomla folder (remove the initial zip file).

When everything is unpacked/unzipped in this folder you have to type the following in your browser >>http://localhost/joomla<<

If everything is unzipped correctly and the Wamp server is running you would land on the installation screen of Joomla.

On this page there is a list with requirements - all items that are marked Green you can ignore - this is already configured properly.

The items in Red are the ones that need attention - when something is marked in Red the installation will not work properly.

But if you left everything in default everything will be green.

With the >>Recommended Settings<< it's not that of a problem if something is marked in red.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Trouble shooting

If wamp is still not working properly
    and your localhost is giving
    error massages then there might
    be other programs that are in
    conflict.
    For example Skype uses port 80
    ,just like your localhost so it
    would be neccesary to close
    Skype.
    See if you Firewall maybe
    causing the conflict, turn this of
    (after disconnecting from the net
    entirely by unplugging
    your connection)

If the firewall is causing the problem
    you have to make sure the following
    ports are open.

Localhost uses port 80
    MySQL uses port 3306

---------------------------------------------------------

When you encounter the indication >>Unwritable<< near >>Directory and File Permissions<< you would have to change the rights for the folder in question.

This you can do by right clicking the folder and in >>Properties<< remove all checkmarks...there should not be a checkmark standing by >>Only read<< ( <----Translation, your situation might be different but it comes down to this translation).

-> If everything is correctly configured on the first page you will proceed by clicking >>Next<<
    -> Accept the license Agreement by clicking >>Next<< again

On the next screen that comes up you would have to fill in the neccesary info to let the script connect to the MySQL-Database and that will be as follows:

-> For >>Host Name<< you fill in >>Localhost<< >>Localhost<<
    -> For >>MySQL User Name<< you fill in the username, as discussed before this would be >>Testuser<<
    -> For >>MySQL Password<< you fill in the password that you have used earlier on.
    -> For >>MySQL Database<< you fill in the database name that was designated namely >>Database1<<

The other configurations can be left alone.

You will see an option that indicates >>Install Sample Data<< with a checkmark,

Leave the checkmark to get to know Joomla.

If you are a experienced user you can leave it off.

->Click Next
    ->Click OK

Now you can give your site a name.

In the upcoming screen the paths to the script will automaticly be made and you will see that >>Admin<< holds a autogenerated password,

WRITE THIS DOWN or make a new password AND WRITE THIS DOWN!

If you lose this password you will have to to do the installation all over again siince the password will be encoded in MySQL and is not retrievable through the database.

After you clicked >>Next<< you will be asked to remove the installation file.

Go to:

>>C:\wamp\www\joomla\<<

and remove the folder >>Installation<<

If everything has been done correctly you will by typing http://localhost/joomla see the joomla template loading in your browser.

Now click on the Administrator option in the left handside navigation menu and type in the fields

Username: Admin
    Password: 123456 (In this case, your password will be different)

Completed:

And now you can learn and find out what Joomla is all about by getting your way around in the Admin Area/Control Panel to see how everthing works and to understand Joomla.

Source: Chip Magazine

P.S. please don't ask me how or what you need to do to make changes in the template or any other tasks related to website maintenance since i am a Beginner/Novice as well.

I hope i did not make any mistakes and if there are please don't hold it against me.
    Have fun. :cool:

Edz, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  2. nOR

nOR Peon

Best Answers:
    great guide, thx dude :cool:

nOR, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  3. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations, from the 144 views your the first one to even comment - LOL :D

Edz, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  4. proskater

proskater Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice guide! Thanks

proskater, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  5. nOR

nOR Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea I thought that was unusual as well :p

nOR, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  6. Blame Me

Blame Me Guest

Best Answers:
    That's great!

For those that only use a Mac try MAMP Does exactly as it says on the tin (but for Apple Mac's).

I have used MAMP for testing link directories and CMS's, a great way to hone your skills before using them in the real world.

Blame Me, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  7. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:
    good info buddy

icare, Feb 23, 2006 IP