1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla 404 error after enabling SEO friendly URL's

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by RPPcom, Jan 17, 2008.

I had a site with a good bit of content and several menus. I enabled "search friendly URL's" and in my haste failed to read the warning about the htaccess.txt file. This has spawned a few problems and questions.

1. I use FTP commander. Do I simply rename the htaccess.txt file in my ftp manager to .htaccess or are their other steps?

2. Now that I have these errors, if I property change the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess will it automatically fix my error or will I have to redo all my content and site navigation?

RPPcom, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  2. JoebeeKenobi

JoebeeKenobi Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes you need to rename the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess as you say. You will need to edit the .htaccess file aswell though to uncomment the lines to do with SE friendly URLs depending on if you are using built-in Joomla SEF or a 3rd party addon like OpenSEF. Its pretty well documented within the htaccess file itself so just open it and follow the instructions you will see there.

JoebeeKenobi, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  3. tnt-tek

tnt-tek Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you must rename the htaccess.txt to .htaccess. If you are hosting on linux you shouldn't have any issues. If you are hosting with Windows you may have problems depending on how your web host is setup. If your using shared hosting (eg GoDaddy, 1and1 cheap plans) it can take an hour or so to refresh the directory access.

You won't have to redo any content or site navigation but it might take awhile for the change to take effect as described above. If you login to the administrator and disable SEF urls the site will go right back to normal.

Happy Joomlaing!

TNT

tnt-tek, Jan 17, 2008 IP