1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joel Comm fraud or real ?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Shoemoney, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Thats cool... I was just asking if he was a fraud or not cause someone asked me my opnion and I never had heard of the guy... thought I would ask here. I honestly know nothing about him other then he posted a ups envelope when I was told google never sent out ups.

I am a newbie to adsense compared to him so what do I know. I am sure he has already forgoten more ways to make money then I will ever know. I just post my experiences as I learn and this is another learning thing for me =)

Shoemoney, Nov 7, 2005 IP
    Correctus likes this.
  2. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I'm not really concerned about it being brought up, it was a perfectly valid question, I was interested as well to be honest, but having known of him for a few weeks now I knew that there was a prefectly good explaination - which there was. I was more just a little dissappointed with the way he was judged prior to anyone having any real insight to the issue and then he was ridiculed after he explained it to everyone and still is by the looks of it - not to mention that the issue was kindly explained by one of the more experienced adsense users on these fourms before he even posted.

Maybe because you judge the self confident and those that have achieved in life as tools, which generally highlights that the accuser has an issue with his own status or achievement (or lack there of) in life, because when people around them display their confidence and status (which they have every right to have) they feel as if it highlights there own lack of status - which is the accuser problem not the problem oft those around them, but lets face it, its easier to call someone a tool and shift the problem as to be someone elses than deal with real issue. That's just my honest opinion.

Burta, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  3. Kasparoff

Kasparoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Those you make 5 figures a month at AdSense would never create such website to sell some insignificant stuff. They wouldn't bother...

Kasparoff, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  4. Hoang

Hoang Banned

Best Answers:
    I did and I think it's pointless ... cuz I have already known everything in there

Hoang, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  5. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If they were selling it for $97 and hundreds of people were buying it - they would bother, you'd be crazy not to bother, its no maintainence and its all profits.

Burta, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  6. millst2

millst2 Guest

Best Answers:
    well some of his methods and crap he pushes or recomends on his site is pure junk. He has pushed TrafficEqualizer and Articlebot and other spam related programs,, But i guess if it is an easy way to make adsense revenue then thats what he is there for, regardless of the reprocussions. Then again the reprocussions are not his problem.

Find it odd so many people are defending Joel Comm,, you can more than likely get the same information or more right here at DP or maybe your an affiliate or just plain pissed that you bought his ebook and got all excited only to produce a few dollars a day. Its amazing the discussions that piss people off, when all shoe did was ask a question about what his adsense rep told him.

millst2, Nov 7, 2005 IP
  7. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I only defend him because other people attack him without reason - Shoe was perfectly within his rights to asked the question. I guess I just don't like people dealing with people like the way that many have.

I personally never bought his ebook nor am I an affiliate of his ebook, I'm not his RL friend nor an online associate, he doesn't know me from a bar of soap, however I am a member of his forums and I have read a lot of his articles, and between his site and this one I have managed over the last month or so been able to quadruple my adsense earnings and things are still looking up. I'm not judging the quality of his ebook - I have never read it - my only concern is the way people deal with other people. If someone unjustifiably started ripping into DP I'd step to the plate to defend it just as quick as I have done Joel.

I guess I'm just one of those young (20 years old) losers that has this romantic and idealistic notion that the world doesn't have to operate this way, with judgement, ridicule, and more importantly than anything hatred of those that achieve and are proud for doing it. I'll stop posting on this thread now, everyone is giving me dissapproving ratings, sorry for interupting your belittlement of an honest guy. Have a good day.

Burta, Nov 7, 2005 IP
    Jat likes this.
  8. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I had forgotten that he very briefly mentions those bad content generators in the second edition of his ebook (not in the first one), because it's a few lines in a 132 page ebook. :eek:

Those are mild disapproval lines, suggesting giving good content to users instead, but I agree he should remove the two links and condemn those programs much more strongly. He says:

You know, Google is trying to get rid of that kind of unethical, greedy sites. For instance, the PageRank of the Traffic Equalizer site is currently zero. :cool:

Juan G, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  9. ecolatur

ecolatur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with kasparoff

A very valid point, a person who is making 5 figure a month and more would not bother to sell some two digit ebooks....with lot of headaches including refunds etc....

Instead he will concentrate on further increasing his adsense revenue..

Abhilash.

ecolatur, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  10. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Joel is one of those well-known Internet entrepeneurs with multiple income streams, from many different sources. For example, he seems to be getting more than a few thousand dollars from that $97 (soon $127) ebook, from sales and affiliate links in the ebook, a typical marketing strategy.

In his newsletter, he says he try to accept only good businesses, and in fact his recommendations are often good, even very good sometimes, but in a few cases I think Joel should be more careful with some of the many people who approach him to obtain an endorsement.

Juan G, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  11. techlh

techlh Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, JC is using ClickBank to 'spread' his book across the 'net. They take care of pretty much everything. He types the book, whips out a few web pages about it, and forgets it. Well, forgets it except once a month when CB sends him a check...

techlh, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  12. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Funny you sound like a tool in sheep's clothing. No he is a tool because what he said made him sound like a tool. I know plenty of people who are many magnitudes more succesful than Joel and some are tools too. Most are not. But the two things have nothing to do with each other. In fact his behavior is actually a regulator on his ability to succeed.

The reality is what he displayed here is not confidence at all, it is the exact opposite. A confident person wouldn't feel the need to come here and act as he did. He would actually have confidence in himself and his product. Coming here and writing what he wrote and insulting people the way he did, actually exhibits a high level of insecurity.

Same stupid stuff Joel said. It is not accurate, and it is simply a smokescreen to defend someone who came here and acted like a tool. I don't know about you, but beyond that coming to one of the largest webmaster resources on the internet and insulting a bunch of people when they are the ones who pay his bills, well that is also dumb.

Feel free to continue to defend him. His post here made him come off as an insecure tool. There is no glossing over it. Perhaps you think grade-school defensiveness is a sign of confidence, but I think most people would disagree with you.

aeiouy, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  13. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I don't really want to argue over whether a guy we both don't know is a tool or not - that would result in a best case scenario of two tools in this conversation if not three if your conclusions about Joel is right.

Burta, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  14. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, it's that simple. Most e-books are sold through ClickBank for exactly these reasons. ClickBank takes care of collecting taxes, of handling refunds, etc. All you do is pay a fee to register your product with ClickBank and create the PDF file for them to distribute. Oh, and you choose the price of your product and what percentage of the price you want to give to your affiliates. See the ClickBank overview for the details. You can see the ClickBank stats for Joel's book here. Affiliates earn on average $32 for each copy of Joel's e-book they sell. Those kinds of payouts provide the incentive for the affiliates to go and aggressively market the e-book. Unfortunately, sometimes those affiliates can use spammy techniques, but that's usually not the author's fault.

Some people sell their e-books directly, of course. You can charge less and still make the same profit because you're cutting out the affiliates, but then you have to deal with the hassles of actually selling the stuff yourself. If I had an e-book to sell, I'd seriously consider using ClickBank, just to avoid all of that...

Eric Giguere, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  15. bloggerman

bloggerman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    digitalpoint v/s joel comm...?

it's getting Hot in here!

p/s: let it be....

bloggerman, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  16. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha fair enough.

aeiouy, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  17. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool isn't it?

One day, I hope someone will badmouth my best-selling ethereal book (which can downloaded to your mobile and PDA by the way), and I come back here to defend my Adsense empire.

my44, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  18. Serg

Serg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I learned quite a bit from Joel's book... I had no idea on what I was doing with AdSense.. I have had several sites for years, but never tried to make money from them. My original AdSense implementation was horrible, and I still have much to learn... but that book took me from $2-3 a day to averaging $25 a day since I implemented the changes last month. So to me it was well worth it..

I don't think he is a fraud at all.. but I like to learn wherever I can so I found this place and have learned alot here as well already! Thank you all, keep the good info coming!

Serg, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  19. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fraud or not, I wish he didn't make his site look like all the other adsense sites. I mean, it's the same sort of text and phrases, the same sort of quotes, the same yellow highlighting...

That site put me off him for good :/

relixx, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  20. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is part of the "formula". I never understood the one page-yellow highlight- forever scrolling webpage either but apparantly it's effective to a whole bunch of people that make the purchase because of it. I personally never bought into the concept, but then I don't have an ebook out either.

MattL, Nov 9, 2005 IP