1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

JavasScript variable to Coldfusion

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Sushi_Master, May 28, 2009.

I need to pass the screen height and width to coldfusion variables, so I can output the value in a link.

e.g.

<a href="http://mysite/myfolder/?keepThis=true&amp;TB_iframe=true&amp;height=<cfoutput>#height#</cfoutput>&amp;width=<cfoutput>#width#</cfoutput>" class="smoothbox" title="mypage">mypage</a>

Code (markup):
    My problem is how can I get javascript screen.height stored as the coldfusion variable #height# ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sushi_Master, May 28, 2009 IP
  2. cfStarlight

cfStarlight Peon

Best Answers:
    Javascript runs _after_ all ColdFusion code is already finished. So you cannot do this on the same page/request. You need to use separate pages (or ajax).

The first page would grab the screen height using javascript, and pass that value to the second page, in either a form field or as a url variable.

Page 1:
    <script>
    document.href = "http://yoursite.com/page2.cfm?height"+ jsHeightVariable;
    </script>

Then the second page will have access to #height# as a either a URL or FORM variable, depending on which method you used on page 1:

Page 2:
    #url.height# ... or
    #form.height#

cfStarlight, May 28, 2009 IP
  3. xheartonfire43x

xheartonfire43x Guest

Best Answers:
    The only problem with doing what cfstarlight says is that if your index page is just a script that get the screen size and pushes it to another page your SEO is going to go way down. Search engines do not like re-routing like that on the Home Page.

xheartonfire43x, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  4. cfStarlight

cfStarlight Peon

Best Answers:
    Who asked about SEO? The question was about javascript and the answer is correct. It cannot be done in a single request.

cfStarlight, Jun 23, 2009 IP