1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Javascript reflections in IE

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by bigjoe4, Sep 11, 2008.

Hi,

After updating my site the javascript reflections under the photos on this page stopped working in IE: http://www.circuitz4u.com/previous_designs.xhtml

They work in all other borwsers apart from IE; does anybody have an idea?

Thanks

bigjoe4, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  2. iwtmmo

iwtmmo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I checked your page, Here is working fine in IE!!

iwtmmo, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  3. bigjoe4

bigjoe4 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi,

You mean the reflections under the large photos lower down the page?

bigjoe4, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not see any reflections in IE7.

You said you made an update, what exactly did you do?

Dodger, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  5. bigjoe4

bigjoe4 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I just changed the logo, header image and footer image from html images to css images (so all the html files contain a bit less code and the css file is a bit bigger, so the pages should load faster).

I also removed two redundant divs, one which went around the header image and one which went around the footer image (I found a better way to do it using css).

I'm thinking perhaps IE can't understand "/>" (since it doesn't support xhtml) so i tried changing all the "/>" to "</div>" ect but it didn't make a difference.

When I turn on IE8's script debugger it sais there's a javascript error but it always did that even when it was working.

bigjoe4, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  6. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    You are the guy using the funky Html editor. Forgot which one you are using, but I think the problem is because the editor is reformatting your javascript. When you string multiple lines of javascript into one or two lines of code, it may break it for some browsers.

Suggest that you load the javascript as a file. Redownload the script so that it is properly formatted.

Dodger, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  7. bigjoe4

bigjoe4 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I also tried doing that and it didn't fix it. + I had the script like that before it broke.

No I don't use a funky html editor I use notepad++

bigjoe4, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  8. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, then paste the code back into your page without stringing it altogether into a few lines. Paste it like it was originally formatted.

Dodger, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  9. bigjoe4

bigjoe4 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I already tried that yesturday and it didn't work. +I used YUIcompressor to obfusicate it which is meant to be perfectly safe.

bigjoe4, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  10. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see any need for using the YUIcompressor. That tool is not providing you much savings in file size since it is only a few K to start. It makes it difficult to troubleshoot when things go wrong, too. I think I mentioned this to you once before.

Dodger, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  11. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Fine buddy. If you cannot take constructive criticism, then I will not offer it. You are on your own.

The reason I keep bringing this up is because it is hard to help you when you compress your code. It makes it difficult, not only for me, but anyone else who wants to look at it for you.

And you are using the compressor without any valid reason to do so. It has obviously screwed up your javascript so it does not work in IE ... but hey, you know best. So you fix it.

UPDATE: This post was made in response to bigjoe4 basically telling me to take a hike and quit posting in his thread. He then deleted the post while I submitted this one (I guess I should have quoted him, my bad). But I am going to let this post stand, for it shows his total disregard to learn.

Dodger, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  12. bigjoe4

bigjoe4 Guest

Best Answers:
    actually my site is fine thanks

bigjoe4, Sep 13, 2008 IP