1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

James Arndt Of Super Kart Racing

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by James Arndt, Feb 19, 2013.

Hello everyone! My name is James Arndt and I'm a game developer based out of Florida. I have been making a living creating digital artwork for around 13 years. Within the last 5 yrs. I've been working as an environment and props artist in the gaming industry. I have been on development teams working on projects for Electronic Arts, Activision, THQ, Disney/Pixar, Codemasters and Majesco. I'm an online teacher of Unity game engine and basic game development principles.
    My web site is www.jamesarndt3d.com

My current game project is called Super Kart Racing. I'm developing it for the iOS phones and tablets as well as the Android phones and tablets. There is also a limited PC/Mac build in the works. I've set up a campaign to fund the development on Indiegogo. My strongest pitch as a return for contributors, is in-game advertising. These are not interstitial ads that cover the screen, but rather actual banners, logos and signage in the environments themselves. Players will drive laps around your web URL, logo, or any ad you choose. It's great exposure, and unlike traditional mobile game ads, this is not a form of advert that is annoying or in-your-face. Racing is one genre where sponsorship is an accepted and enhancing part of the racing experience (we all know our favorite drivers by color and logo).

Here is the link to the development campaign:
    Super Kart Racing Development Campaign
    www.indiegogo.com/projects/328140
    Here is a screenshot of the game as it stands today. It's an early prototype.

[​IMG]
    James Arndt, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  2. cdurbin

cdurbin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very cool idea regarding the ads. Good luck James.
    cdurbin, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  3. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I'm hoping to use this as a big selling point.
    James Arndt, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  4. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    I've updated info on the Super Kart Racing campaign page with some new images and information on supported devices. Check it out, and please help out any way you can with contributions. I've still got a ways to go to get this baby funded and I need your help!
    indiegogo.com/projects/328140/x/2305754

[​IMG]
    James Arndt, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  5. Webcenter

Webcenter Active Member

Best Answers:
    welcome dear friend, nice work and good luck .
    Webcenter, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  6. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    Still two days away from halfway in the campaign, but really need the help with this one.
    It's very close to my heart and I need your help seeing it get there. I don't need to
    meet the entire end goal to be able to make this game (using Flexible Funding Option on
    Indiegogo) so I'm in a good position! I just need every bit I can muster to pay for the
    plugins/software needed and audio/artwork services.

If you've contributed, please disregard this or help pass it on elsewhere on the web if
    you can. Some of you have done more than I could have ever expected and for that I'm very thankful!

indiegogo.com/projects/328140/x/2305754

[​IMG]
    James Arndt, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  7. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    The awesome folks at PowerA are sending me a Moga Bluetooth Game Controller. They will help market Super Kart Racing and I'll enhance the game to be able to utilize this controller.

[​IMG]

An awesome way for me to gain discoverability for the app!
    James Arndt, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  8. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    Moga controllers came in the mail today. They set me up with the Pro controller and two of the regular controllers. What awesome people! Looking forward to developing with these and working with them on marketing!

They feel awesome, very much like holding a Nintendo DS or PS Vita.

[​IMG]
    James Arndt, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  9. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not anything fancy, but the Android SDK is setup and working, it's integrated with Unity now and I can make builds to the Android device. Finally got the developer license (quite a bit cheaper than Apple's dev fee).

James Arndt, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  10. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    These are the first revision of menu screen mockups I've finished. More than likely they will undergo some changes to design or aesthetic, but for the most part they are solid. Looking forward to cutting these up and plugging them into NGUI atlases soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    James Arndt, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  11. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    Finally have this track taken from 2d concept to full 3d environment. Proud to finally show off the first outdoor track for SKR (Glen Meadows). This is still a WIP, but very near to completion. Next up - to be placed into Unity and lighting baked in. As you can see from the face count, this environment came in very optimized, which is perfect for running on mobile hardware!
    [​IMG]
    BTW launched a brand new Kickstarter - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jamesarndt/super-kart-racing-for-ios-and-android
    James Arndt, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  12. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been pretty busy on this one. Here is a finished 2d track concept based on the real world location Rock Island, IL. This is basically the drawing I will use to model the track and place major landmarks.

This is what it looks like in real life to drive around this location.

[​IMG]
    James Arndt, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  13. AllThatPublishing

AllThatPublishing Peon

Best Answers:
    very cool! i was thinking of purchasing one of thos MOGA controllers myself
    AllThatPublishing, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  14. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    @AllThatPublishing - I didn't have high hopes for a mobile phone controller, thought it would feel cheap or something. Turns out it feels really great, very similar to playing on a 3DS or DS.
    James Arndt, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  15. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember, every reward tier (even the $5) gets a full version of the game for PC and or Mac.

Super Kart Racing on Kickstarter

[​IMG]
    James Arndt, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  16. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    Time lapse video of me setting up blueprints to model another racing kart. I will be doing an entire series of these all through the modeling, animation, rigging and texturing process. Basically up until it gets into Unity and is implemented in game.

[video=youtube;k7P5MAsiJcI]
    James Arndt, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  17. James Arndt

James Arndt Peon

Best Answers:
    Completed the layouts for a new outdoor track called "Taybor's Field". This is going to be one challenging track and should be pretty fun to race.

[​IMG]
    James Arndt, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  18. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi James, just wanted to say welcome to DP and it`s an impressive work you`re doing there. Best of luck!
    webcosmo, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  19. CashflyAlex

CashflyAlex Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wow so cool! The ad element is really cool. Hopefully you can take some tips from Mario Kart, I love throwing bananas and watching other players slip on them.
    CashflyAlex, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  20. AllThatPublishing

AllThatPublishing Peon

Best Answers:
    dang i really like how its coming along. You are right on the controller. It seems unpractical but it truly is very functional.

would you happen to have a link to your kickstarter campaign? and will you have ad space available through kickstarter?
    AllThatPublishing, Apr 5, 2013 IP