1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jakarta - I hope everyone is ok

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by sarahk, Jan 14, 2016.

I've just seen the CNN report on Jakarta and we have so many Indonesian members. I hope everyone is safely out of harms way.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/13/asia/jakarta-gunfire-explosions/index.html

It's a bit frightening getting Indonesia involved. There is such inequality that I fear an ISIS type group might be able to stir up a bit of trouble. Wouldn't be good for the country as a whole though.

sarahk, Jan 14, 2016 IP
    TopForum.Ir and th.sigit like this.
  2. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hoping for the best - very annoying situation I would like to say

Shahzad Jameel, Jan 14, 2016 IP
    th.sigit likes this.
  3. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Sarah, Shahzad. Had been following the news here on local tv. There are 7 casualties, 5 of which are suspected terrorists. Other two are: one civilian (local) and one Canadian --no identities are disclosed, yet. Hopefully, these two are none of my friends or acquaintances. I feel sorry for these victims, hope they rest in peace.

There were some injuries, too. TV reports say these were suicide bombs. There were some amateur videos, but not much analysis there on the news, except some interviews with high officials and eyewitnesses. It seems no living terrorists got arrested, the police are still investigating. All the dead terrorists are Indonesian --at least that's how they look, I think. They can't speak anymore, can they. TV reports are relating them with ISIS, which is a complicated situation here because the government and most citizens are against it, but some small (yet vocal) people or organization are under an influence of the caliphate glory propaganda. And these people are probably your neighbor, your old friend, or your family.

My personal view:

The terror today seemed different to several years ago. In the past, they use high explosives, and they were targeting international hangouts like hotels and cafes. Today, they employed some small explosives (as captured on some amateur videos), but the action went in public. It was one of the most busy shopping area in Jakarta (I know the area a bit), and these terrorists carried some guns. They seemed to have no special target but the crowd.

Live on local TV:

Head of police is saying that everything is taken care of regarding security. Citizens should stay calm and not get panic. There is no red alert. The initial explosion came from a tire exploded. Hmmmmm ...

th.sigit, Jan 14, 2016 IP
    qwikad.com and sarahk like this.
  4. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the very details update Sigit.

Good to know that there isn't much loss like the suicide bombers do. Also it looks like that security agencies took an immediate action against them to reduce the loss.

Hope life will be normal now

Shahzad Jameel, Jan 14, 2016 IP
  5. TopForum.Ir

TopForum.Ir Active Member

Best Answers:
    The world is being shitter.

TopForum.Ir, Jan 15, 2016 IP
  6. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    th.sigit, Jan 15, 2016 IP
  7. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    ISIS seems to be everywhere, it is quite scary, the entire South East Asia is particularly at risk given the diverse geography.

wisdomtool, Jan 15, 2016 IP
    Shahzad Jameel and th.sigit like this.