1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jagger 3 - happening now on some DC's?

Discussion in 'Google' started by dkalweit, Oct 31, 2005.

1. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't know ... watching serps these past weeks is like watching clothes in a washing machine ... of there it is... of wait .... oh there it is ... oh wait.

maybe they just busted up the system real good after trying to wipe out spam and this 3 part update shizzle is just their cover as they try to fix and undo mistakes.

this DC - http://66.102.9.104/ ... during "patch 2", i mean update 2 - my site went from not listed to #1, that was friday. by monday morning it was gone again. today (Nov 1, 2:15 EST) it's back to #1.

if this is rollout #3 ... cool ... for now.

the way things are going ... having worked in software companies, this looks more like programmers fighting the software and less like an organized rollout. from matt cutts' site, it was looking like this 66.102.9.104 server was leading the new wave of updates ... and i waited and waited for the other DC's to catch on ... they didn't, but they did rollback, and now they roll forward again?

but what do we know ... this is 99% speculation, there is no Google Logo branded on Matt Cutt's site and the info there is sparse and carefully spoken to begin with. is it possible that they are wagging the dog?

skattabrain, Nov 1, 2005 IP
    dkalweit likes this.
  2. mikeg_seo

mikeg_seo Peon

Best Answers:
    well said.

I have read in SEO chat and WMW by a few, that the reason we are seeing directories and spam sites is to bring the spam to the top so they can get spam reports validating their filters, but I know that there has to be a better method and would hate to think that google would hurt the rankings for something that would have been better suited to do below the top 50 results. Even the below the top 10 would have been nice because page 1 is the money maker.

I have also hear that they trashed results to drive up ppc, but that sounded kind of illegal to me so i doubt that too.

Personally, I think the Update was necessary because of the spam sites, but i also think that they are having some serious filter issues because every time Google Guy or Matt says anything about it, they emphasize about reporting spam sites. They have made this their primary focus, but jagger 3 should start tomorrow and they said thier team will then begin to put a bigger focus on the dissatisfied submissions.

mikeg_seo, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  3. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    if that's true, sounds like a great idea ...not, i hope they plan on doing this every 2 months LOL

4. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ick! I'm still #1 on lots of (crappy) words. I hope that isn't the case :p

lorien1973, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  5. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    if they know enough to make spam float, why even go down that road? they've isolated it.

6. Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my sites that come to the top in Jagger 2 (episode 2) on some DCs has just vanished again (in episode 3?)..and my other site hasn't been affected..what is up with this, kind of like there are mini Jaggers happening in the main Jaggers, (Jaggerflux?)

I want my site back Google-bully!! You hear me?

Lucky Bastard, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  7. sGroup

sGroup Peon

Best Answers:
    its all about the $$$ - they have been doing this every year about the same time.

sGroup, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  8. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    If spam sites floated to the top during the new update, wouldn't Google make more money. After all, spam sites have alot of Google ads...

D

bigdoug, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  9. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yes, but they make money off the adsense, and it forces "real" sites to buy ads to continue getting traffic. its sorta win win. I dont think thats happening though. If they could filter it and move it up, why would they?

lorien1973, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  10. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahhhh yes! The double wammy...

Them Google guy's are smart,

D

bigdoug, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  11. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    bloodwrath, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  12. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    That is one thing I don't think a lot of people understand. These are seperate updates that are targetted at completely different things. Some people have this expectation that this is some kind of tiered update and 3 is just an extension of 2 etc and that it will just be tweaks and clean-up.

It is completely new changes that have nothing directly to do with 2 or 1, so the results could be very different and in some cases will make changes that result in much difference results from 1 & 2.

aeiouy, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  13. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    also see some positive results on one of the dc's. :)

bentong, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  14. rickbender1940

rickbender1940 Guest

Best Answers:
    Massive Change this morning - we're ranking for our company name as #1 for the first time in over a year!!!!

rickbender1940, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  15. Nathan Malone

Nathan Malone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Which datacenter?

Nathan Malone, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  16. rickbender1940

rickbender1940 Guest

Best Answers:
    All of them, now that I check. I looked on just google.com when I posted, but Mcdar is showing every dc the same currently

rickbender1940, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  17. baseballcube

baseballcube Peon

Best Answers:
    Cutts said later today and I am seeing nothing change yet so I am hoping that he is right.

baseballcube, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  18. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmmm...I'm still hoping the changes seen on those 5 DC's mentioned above spread out.

Roze, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  19. mitchandre

mitchandre Peon

Best Answers:
    The slow spiral down in SERPS has begun anew.

mitchandre, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  20. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    As of this morning i'm seeing my serps from 66.102.9.104 / 66.102.11.104 start to spread to other datacenters, but it's not widespread yet. Still to early to tell if it's across the board.

Dreamshop, Nov 2, 2005 IP