1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jagger 3 - happening now on some DC's?

Discussion in 'Google' started by dkalweit, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I do not agree - I have seen no evidence of Jagger3.

What I see is only slightly different in what could possibly referred to as Jagger2.

In any case results are erratic at best.

ALSO:
    "tomorrow the results will start to show up when doing a search"

What is that?

ALL Datacenters ARE Google !

When you type www.google.com into your browser window, www.google.com redirects you, behind the scenes, to www.google.akadns.net. It is at this latter location that you are then routed to the Datacenter/IP Address that is both close to you in proximity (area of the Country) and experiencing lower traffic at that time.

During Google Updates or Google Events it is not uncommon to see a wide range of placement across the datacenters. (as you are experiencing now).

You can read more about datacenters here...

About Google Datacenters

An easy way to tell which datacenter Google routed your current search to is to just "mouse-over" the "cached" link of any of the returned results. When you do this look at the lower left corner of your browser window. You will see the Google IP address in the first part of the url.

example: http:// 216.239.57.99/search?...

There is MUCH we have to speculate about in regard to Google. How Google uses Datacenters is NOT one of them.

Caryl

mcdar, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I've seen more than enough changes on my terms to see that this is jagger 3

fryman, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  3. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    mcdar, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    fryman, see Matt Cutts' blog - he says he expects phase 3 to start tomorrow.

Actually, someone else here at DP claimed Matt had said that - if so, perhaps it was at WMW - I can't find that on the blog anywhere.

There are however some pics of Matt Cutts dressed up for Halloween and a comment about Martha Stewart's Apprentice show on his blog, if anyone cares...

Geeze, I do NOT envy that guy having to wade through all the comments on his blog... :eek: :eek:

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    More from Matt Cutts on Jagger:

That second comment is interesting. No idea what it means exactly but it's interesting...

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  6. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Jagger 3 might work out well, but nothing beats Leonard Part 6 ! Man, that was an awesome flick!

lorien1973, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  7. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe, once you un-spin it, it's something more like:

"We put Jagger1 out to the world without thinking through the reprecussions. With Jagger2 and Jagger3, we're taking the wiser, slower approach and putting it on a few data centers as a test before replicating world wide."

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Elsewhere on that blog. Cutts says that Jagger 1, 2, and 3 are independent (but presumably independent and, according to him, "interactive") updates so 2 and 3 are not actually corrections or modifications of 1 but something else.

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  9. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are on to something there, Derek :D

mcdar, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  10. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    But remember, Google is publically traded now. Would they admit if an update went haywire? Of course not. It'd cause stock to take a dip, at least temporarily.

I don't think its a haywire update, I think its more of an update where they didn't fully grasp the effects of it; much like economists who aren't sure how policies will react in the real world, google wasn't sure what would happen when jagger was let loose.

11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Even Mick wasn't sure what would happen when they let him loose...

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  12. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    Well, thank good it didn't look like this:
    [​IMG]

13. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    I never said jagger1 was a mistake(though others have on this board)-- I'm simply saying maybe Google knows now that it was a mistake to roll it out to all datacenters at once instead of using the test data centers as they are with jagger2 or jagger3. Of course they can't tell us this, so they spin it to be "jagger2 and jagger3 are too complex to roll it out all at once"... Matt's blog is just Google's spinning top(mixed in with some useless crap about Martha Stewart SEO's and halloween customes, of course)...

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  14. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it a case that the people who lost out thing it went haywire and those that didn't think it went okay.

Or are people looking at other things.

Personally, from the perspective of an idle browser the results have all seemed okay to me.

blackbug, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  15. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    IF this is Jagger3 then I'm going to be smiling a lot more around here :D
    I'm seeing my sites at #1 where they've only every managed at best #4.
    If this propagates I'll be looking at quite a healthy boost in traffic :)

jlawrence, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That quote was from October 26.

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  17. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    Change 'now' to 'October 26'. Thanks for nit-picking. My point still stands.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  18. mikeg_seo

mikeg_seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I do not post here to often, but i read the forums on occasion. IMHO i think this is only jagger 2 flux. I have been tracking a lot of kewords over the past few weeks and my keywords are dancing to much for me to say that its not flux.

Personally, I have taken a good hit from the update, but in spite of being on my bosses "you are in deep **** list, I was actually forced to go manually go through a few hundered pages and I found some things on a few of these pages that needed to be fixed andI am happy that I at least go that done prior to jagger 3.

In my field for just about every keyword i have, i get the same thing.

1) Big Directories replacing relevant content pages.
    2) Relevant news articles
    3) Old pages that look like they were made in 1996
    4) Spam sites

I can't beleive this would be what google would want as their results, so I am just going to sit back keep plugging away at white hat seo and see where it leads me. I just hope i can keep my job afloat after the jagger 3 flux, who knows how long that will be. I have hear 2 to 3 additional weeks from GG or matt Cutts, not sure which though.

Anyway, interesting read and just wanted to share my thoughts.
    :D

mikeg_seo, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  19. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    If you end up losing your job over Jagger, be sure to contact the big news shows-- 20/20, Dateline, Nightline, Primetime Live, etc. I've contacted these shows asking them to do a story on Google's destructive practices and explained that people are losing their jobs and such over this-- having someone who's actually lost their job might appeal to them somewhat. A bit of general public exposure of Google's tactics is sorely needed, IMO.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Nov 1, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  20. mikeg_seo

mikeg_seo Peon

Best Answers:
    As much as I would like to put it all on google, I can't. They are a business and they only need to worry about their own employees. If there is one thing i have learned, google is the bigshot ans I am at their mercy.

However, i think it would be in googles best interests to do more than give a weather report from a blog or on wmw. They are great places for that, but I think as big as google is, they should at least forewarn about updates so SEO's and indutry leaders can prepare for the fall out.

I know they are not going to ever give 100% because they would be giving too much away, but they need to rethink the concept of being the big fish in the pond. I think they would get a lot farther and have more fluent updates if they communicated to webmasters and SEO's a little better.

As much as i appreciate Matt Cutts and Google Guy, I feel like i am being spoon fed like a child when i want to have the full plate.

mikeg_seo, Nov 1, 2005 IP