1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jagger 2 Update Info - October 26, 2005

Discussion in 'Google' started by john_robot, Oct 26, 2005.

1. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Everything is steady here. Which DC's are you lookin' at?

lorien1973, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  2. sGroup

sGroup Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, I see some movement.

sGroup, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The testimonials to FDS just keep pouring in... :eek:

minstrel, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  4. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What (or who) is FDS?

e10, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.... a product advertised on TV in the 70s with a strong emphasis on the word "freshness", three words, first word "Feminine", last word "Spray"...

perhaps you're too young...

6. marques

marques Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see jagger as this:
    Decrease or the elimination in the value of rep links.
    Giving more weight to older sites.

If this is the routine google decides to take, i think it is a very bad move.

#1 de-value the reciprocal link.
    Webmasters will be less modivated in performing link exchanges. Webmasters would start removing links from their links pages in a attempt to gain more value from the existing links on other sites. News sites will have a more difficult time getting index b/c webmasters would just ignore there requests.

#2 increase valuing of older sites.
    Now this one is just stupid. Now when did old=better in the IT world? This is not a art class google, sorry spelling Google in colorful letters does not make you an artist. I would love to hear their reasoning behind this one.

marques, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  7. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Perhaps not. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=35870 ;)

e10, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    "rep link"? I presume you mean reciprocal link... and if so, what is that conclusion based on? I really haven't seen anything that would support this.

9. minstrel

Best Answers:
  10. marques

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong this assumption, everything with jagger is currently assumptions. If Google wanted to reduce the effictiveness of SEO and push adsense on us then the reciprocal would a easy target.

I will give my site and my competitors site for example. I have a couple of hundred links pointing to my site most are reciprocal, directories and the rest natural. my compeitors site has very few reciprocal links and a small handfull of natural. The URL date of both sites are about a month apart. After jagger my site falls into the depts of SERP while his site seem un-affected.

FYI, all reciprocal links are from sites of similar content, not ramdon sites.

marques, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm confident I could find a dozen other factors that differentiate your site and your competitor's site.

To start with, for your hypothesis to be true, you would have to find a way to account for the fact that there are numerous other sites with many reciprocal links that have either been unaffected or who have improved in Google rankings. That's not the only objection to your theory but it's probably a good place to start.

12. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:

Screw You!

By the way the support for this is that some people who have recip links on their site moved down in the serps!

:mad: :D

aeiouy, Oct 29, 2005 IP
    STVP and minstrel like this.
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    "Screw you guys. I'm going home!" ~ Cartman :eek: :eek:

14. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "Whatever! I'll do what I want!" ~ Cartman

lorien1973, Oct 29, 2005 IP
    STVP likes this.
  15. onedodd

onedodd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    :( Forget about the fact that my sites ranking for my keywords have totally evaporated, Forget about every single one of my secondary pages disappearing completely from the serps. Still indexed but no where to be found for my keywords.
    I have already come back from that jagger1 smack in the face - I felt like I got dumped by my best girl when those jagger1 results appeared.

But these jagger2 results on these 2 data centers have absolutely filled the fishing reports and charters/guides sector with pure JUNK. At least for the cities and locales I searched.
    I have never seen so many 3 page sites in my life with broken links, pictures that don't appear, 2 sentences on a page and so on. I never knew sites with 4, 6, 9, 16, and 21 total back links could dominate the top 10 so easily. I thought lots of quality links ment something?
    I think I will do better using a free host with a sub-domain, throw in some broken links and pics that don't work and get my ranks back.
    I won't knock a Charter Captain for having a junky site - after all they are fishermen not web gurus but I do think Google should be able to pick out the authority sites even in the charter fishing sector where website quality is not always the best.

Never thought I would say this but THANK GOD for MSN and Yahoo.
    At least I have a top 5 rank for THE Main keyword in my entire sector - "fishing" and I am enjoying it while it lasts. At least until MSN tries to mimic Google and get to smart for their own britches.
    Also I am glad I didn't rely on Google 100% to pay my bills - A Tip, the best thing you can do for your website is to have some good old fashioned marketing for other traffic sources in case your site goes of the Google deep end like mine did.

An observation/question:
    Are they trying to bring in more local sites in main search? My #2 site doesn't even have the word Virginia on it and it is now ranking top 5 to 10 for various Virginia terms. Are they checking where the domain owner lives, the state where the site is registered.
    Same thing happened to my #1 site. I am a 50 state fishing reports and charter listing site and all my state ranks vanished except for the state the domain name is registered in.
    A friend with a fishing charter listing site said the exact same thing to me last week about his site - He is a 50 state charter listing site and every one of his state listing pages have vanished except for "Kentucky fishing guides" and thats where the domain is registered.
    Coincidence or not? Hope not - I thought thats what local search was for.:(

onedodd, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  16. flyguy

flyguy Peon

Best Answers:

I'm seeing some changes that are not pre jagger and are not in line with what I've been monitoring after jagger 2. New results, scattered, but major moves.

flyguy, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  17. marques

Best Answers:
    Really, well I think I would have a better say, mainly because I was the webmaster for my competitor's site.

Thanks aei, after jagger 1,2,3 has past we will have a better idea of what google is up too (chaos maybe???). and I would not be at all surprise that the value of recip links was a apart of this update.

Not trying to flame this thread, we are all on edge and losing money. I run a niche website which is targeted to a local audience (city wide). Paying for ads on big sites would yeild little in return.

marques, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  18. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    jagger 1 - drop everyone a big, promote spam.
    jagger 2 - randomly rearrange the serps
    jagger 3 - return to pre-jagger state and laugh very hard.

nddb, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  19. HHI Golf Guy

HHI Golf Guy Guest

Best Answers:
    HHI Golf Guy, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  20. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    "Respect My authoritah!" - Google

aeiouy, Oct 29, 2005 IP