1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I've never been submitted to DMOZ, Why is it so hard?!?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by XTP605, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    After numberous tries on all my websites, I can never get accepted to DMOZ. Out of 4 websites, I've never once received a email stating whether or not I can be accepted or denied. Is there something I need to do?

XTP605, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  2. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    And you never will, :), editors don't normally contact any submitter. Why should they? Your site is either one they need to make the category a good resource for the web surfer, or it isn't.

The Directory doesn't offer a listing service for submitters, and you have no right to be listed. Editors build categories of (in their opinion) useful sites for web surfers who are looking for specific information about a particular topic or geographic area.

What the Directory does do, is to allow the public (yourself), an opportunity to help editors do that by suggesting what they(you) consider are good sites. The editor can look at those suggestions if they want to, but they are not required to. Editors can find good sites to list very easily from many other sources. :)

So, the best thing to do is to make your suggestion once (as you agree to do when submitting) and then forget about it. The Directory appreciates your suggestion, but nothing else is needed or wanted from you, go away, ;).

crowbar, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  3. XTP605

XTP605 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yea makes sense, ok then.

XTP605, Jul 23, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  4. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    * try to find an editor and pay to him
    * make a spam web site. i know spam web site which is listed over 2 years (i have also reported that spam web site 2 times. but it's currently listed on 2 different category)

trichnosis, Jul 23, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. Thrushwood

Thrushwood Peon

Best Answers:
    You could always try becoming an DMOZ editor yourself.

Thrushwood, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  6. The_Guvnour

The_Guvnour Peon

Best Answers:
    I currently have 3 sites in dmoz one of which is a site which design is not yet complete but has the content, this site made it in within 24 hours, i also no of a friend who got a maternity site into DMOZ within a week.

Just try to acoid building sites for spammy niches

The_Guvnour, Jul 24, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  7. whiteguy

whiteguy Banned

Best Answers:
    I have 1 site in dmoz, think it is possible ... just need quality content and an editor in the area :p

whiteguy, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, try reading the guidelines!

You have submitted more then once, something that is against the guidelines. You expect an email, which its stated in the guidelines as something that is not going to happen... so that leads me to believe you've not bothered with them at all. Heh, not that reading them will help all that much in many cases, but it's certainly a start. Read them, then come back and complain ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  9. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    Basically...

1. You either know/ are an editor at DMOZ

2. You are ready to pay an editor to get your site in there.

Its one directory... all I did was submit and hopefully in a few years it'll be in there :)

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You forgot number three...

3. Your site is found to be worthy by an editor and they added it of their own accord (this would include finding a site through the submission process).

Yes it does happen.

Qryztufre, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  11. aftab1003

aftab1003 Banned

Best Answers:
    i have tried only one site to dmoz that was
    alams.com.pk
    is my company profile
    and the first try, i ever made, thay accept my with some error title.
    then i request them to rectifie it, and its done again just 4 days.

aftab1003, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    There are thousands and thousands of small categories that have no named editors. The reason for that is a lack of honest volunteers to man every single one of them, and also because good editors are moved up from those small categories to higher categories.

Think of editing permissions like a pyramid. Editors start out in a small category at the bottom level and are limited to one block. They can either request more blocks on that bottom level, or they can request to be moved higher.

Let's say they are given the privlege to edit in the third layer of blocks. That means they can edit in that third layer, but also in eveything beneath that, in layers one and two.

A meta editor would be at the very top of the pyramid, and there are many editors at different levels of the pyramid. The Directory is made up of many, many pyramids and depending on the interests of the editor, an editor could request to work in any pyramids they are interested in. (they would not have access to the other pyramids)

That's a kind of simplified explanation, but if an editor only edits in one block, or 3 or 4 small blocks, he can usually keep them pretty up to date, and is more likely to spot and be more interested in any site suggestions made to them.

An editor who is higher on the pyramid, may have hundreds or thousands of blocks beneath him, so it's quite impossible to keep them all in good order, and looking at what gets suggested to them is really a very low priority, other than trying to move the misplaced sites to the correct block.

These editors that are higher up (mid level) have so many other responsibilities to attend to (like structural and organizational work) that they really have a hard time concentrating for long on any one thing, there are just too many things to choose from.

A meta editor at the top of the pyramid has double the work and responsibility.

Why don't we have more editors?

Because the Directory has to be careful not to let the wolves in, and because there are very few honest people that are willing to work for free. A lot who apply have their own agenda in mind, like how they can help themselves. Real givers are a little scarce.

One other reason. The Directory really sucks at advertising itself and recruiting. These new AOL Staff dudes were supposed to change that. So far, they suck big time at it, so much for a college education, I'm glad I don't have one.

crowbar, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  13. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    crowbar is correct and if you noticed, the category that your site was added to is very small and it also has very few in unreview.

Also, when you submit an update notice to a site that is currently listed in a category, these are flagged and are a priority so get attended to much more quickly. :)

jjwill, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  14. ak2ae

ak2ae Member

Best Answers:
    submitted about four sites to DMOZ over last year and none were accepted its impossible

ak2ae, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  15. Steupz

Steupz Peon

Best Answers:
    submitted a site and waited two years ...nothing!
    that site is now replaced by another site of mine I started 4 months ago. I submitted within a month... nothing!

And my site is/was a pretty good site; updated daily, traffic in the low thousands, lots of comments and looks nice.
    I don't know what the heck those Editors are doing. Maybe they have all 1 trillion URL's to approve. :rolleyes:cool::

Steupz, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  16. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    do not waste your time with dmoz.

you can only see good word from the dmoz editors like crowbar.

read reply 4 or reply 9

trichnosis, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  17. whiteguy

whiteguy Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm no dmoz editor, but I had one site accepted in the index few years ago. I guess it's a matter of being lucky too.

whiteguy, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Most of the time, it's not because there's anything wrong with a site, it's because there are too many site suggestions and not enough honest editors to review them all, and to be perfectly honest, we could give a rats behind about site owners, you are not our customers.

The only people we serve are the information seekers (web surfers), and our job is to build good categories of useful sites for them, not listing 50 sites with the same information. Why the hell would an information seeker need to see the same information 50 times? Put something on your site that is different than the other 49 sites, and you're in business. But, even then, an editor will have to wade through all 50 sites to find yours, so it might take some time, ;).

The fact that all 50 sites have different owners, doesn't mean squat. So what? You have no rights to be listed, none, nada. You get listed if we need your site to better the category, period, and it will get done when we have the time to get to it.

We are in no particular hurry, we do it as a hobby in our spare time, and our time is our own, to spend as we see fit, just as your free time is yours. If you don't like it, then join us as editors and do 20,000+ edits yourself, glad to have anyone who can edit honestly, but they seem to be a little rare, :D.

crowbar, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  19. bs1

bs1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh that's a joke. DMOZ is a racket. They have a high PR so everyone wants a link there, but don't be fooled into thinking that in the editors' infinite wisdom they only approve quality sites.

Bull.

Take a look at any category on DMOZ. A good percentage of the resources are nothing but scammy, spammy template sites.

Anyone who thinks the editors of DMOZ "know better" than we do what qualifies as a good resource for readers is terribly uninformed.

bs1, Aug 7, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  20. oldschool99

oldschool99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly, it really depends on the category you are trying to get listed in. Some categories have very active editors who go through each submission pretty fast, while some categories are barely touched for months. In either case, DMOZ will not e-mail you as to whether your site was accepted or not.

oldschool99, Aug 8, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.