I've been destroyed by google

Discussion in 'Websites' started by The King of Spain, Jun 21, 2005.

I run a website called cricket20, the site, www.thetwenty20cup.co.uk is dedicated to Twenty20 cricket from around the world, last Monday I had 8,000 plus unique hits last Monday but yesterday thanks to google getting drunk I had 1,300.

I'm stunned, angered and f**ked off, the site as got 75,000 plus backlinks (according to google) 4,000 plus pages and is spidered every day, for Twenty20 cricket there is my site, and well thats it.

Thanks to google getting drunk I can only be found now for searches limited to Twenty20, Twenty20 cricket, Twenty20 Cup and 20 20 Cricket. Every other keywords I've disapered for Twenty20 Fixtures, Twenty20 Betting, Twenty20 Tickets, Surrey 20 20 fixtures etc etc.

My site as been destroyed and to make matter worse the Twenty20 Cup starts tommorrow, so thanks to google instead of getting 8,000+ unique hits each day Im going to be luckly to break 1,500+.

Im number one on Yahoo and MSM for every thing to do with Twenty20 cricket but in the UK nobody uses these search engines, its 95% google.

Google as killed my site, Im suposed top be traveliing around the country, reporting on differant games, running competitions, buying adverising space, this was going to happen through advertising money from clients, thanks to google this is in trouble and Im going to lose big bucks.

I hope google is happy, whilst they are sitting at Google HQ counting all of thier money I hope they are thinking about the people they have ruined, the poeple who have spent two plu years getting sites to number one only to be f**ed by google.

The King of Spain, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  2. Yukio

Yukio Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, that sucks... that's obvious.

I think sites need to account for instances such as this and don't become reliant on search results but rather develop their sites for stickiness as well... a form of leverage... so if the search changes, then you're not left in the dark.

Everything changes sooner or later... if it didn't happen today... it would have happened tomorrow. Make sure your site has more than one means of traffic.

Yukio, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  3. rushy

rushy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry to hear about that. Especially after 2 years worth of work. Give it some time before you write it off completely though. I had a site drop out of top positions for 26 keywords about a month ago. Having not done any drastic changes to my site, they all eventually returned. Give it a couple of weeks, mate.

And this should be a good test for you and your business model though, as it shows just how volatile a business model that revolves around the almighty G can be. Good luck though, and fingers crossed things will return to normal in no time.

rushy, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Blaming Google is the easy thing to do. Have you scrutinized what you did?

T0PS3O, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  5. jbw

jbw Peon

Best Answers:
    Live by the google, die by the google.

jbw, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    That's a whole big bag of suck man.

Google did this to one of my sites for about a month recently.

I was angry.

The back luck of it happening during the one week when your site gets the most user traffic makes it so much worse.

Unfortunately, all you can do is drink until it doesn't hurt quite so much anymore.

Will.Spencer, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  7. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I think cricket sucks. Just so you know how painful it was for me to look.

It seems to me that the problem you have rests in the way you title your pages. If you search Google for Twenty20 Cup, your site is listed at #1. Even if a search is performed for Twenty20, you are #1.

However, if I search for Twenty20 Fixtures, your site is nowhere to be found, certainly not in the top 50 anyway.

Having a look at your site, I find that your page title for Twenty20 Fixtures comprises of the following:
    "cricket20 :: Twenty20 Cup - 05 Fixtures and Results", (here)

whereas the site listed as number #1 has;
    "Fixtures and Results : Twenty20 : Northamptonshire County Cricket Club" (here).

The big Google will be placing emphasis on the second word of the keyword phrase when it comes to searching for that term.

The competition for this particular phrase is next to nothing @ 41,100 so you should be able to get placed without much difficulty but I think you will have to switch around a few words in your page titles:

e.g. "cricket20 :: Twenty20 Cup - 05 Fixtures and Results" to "Fixtures and Results for Twenty20 Cricket - 05 Season".

I also noticed you are trying to rank for "cricket20". If you actually include that phrase in the page text, you will probably get a boost.

mcfox, Jun 21, 2005 IP
    Dirkjan likes this.
  8. willie50

willie50 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all I have just joined this great forum, I did a search in google for "site ban" and this forum came up.

I need help badly.

I have a 5 year old small site about 200 pages, last July we had a PR 5, with about 80 backlinks, then at around October it went down to a PR 4 with the same amount of backlinks, and in January it went down again to a PR 3, at the start of last month it vanished completly from Google, and NO backlinks and NO PR or shall I say a PR 0.

I have posted at another forum trying to get some answers of the "why" but really no one has pointed out anything. I have tried to contact google but there's no one home.

My question is:

Is the site completly ban from google? and if it is (the million dollar question) why???

I don't know if I can post the URL, but it looks like everyone is doing it, so the URL is http://www.fortune2000net.com

Thank you and I hope that someone can figure out what's going on, I have savings for 1 more month, after that back to my old job.

willie50

willie50, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  9. Intsecure

Intsecure Peon

Best Answers:
    I got dropped by Google and about a month and a half later they are finally relisting my site. The sad thing is I get way more hits from Yahoo now. I've learned that patience is the key to the SEO game. You win some you lose some

Intsecure, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  10. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Well, I can say for sure that you're not listed in Google. Looking at www.archive.org, I see you were listed there right up until November 2004 when all of a sudden the site vanishes - i.e. no listings for 2005.

So what's going on? Hard to say, really. It could be that your site is rather spammy and has been booted from Google, perhaps because of some of the sites it links to? I don't know.

Did you switch hosts, software, anything else you can think of, in Nov 2004?

I know I've looked at this site before. I can't remember where, exactly. On a forum asking for assistance for dropping serps or something similar? Dunno.

mcfox, Jun 24, 2005 IP