1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's official Google has opened up a can of whoop ass on directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Nora

Nora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Am I really the only person who thinks its a good thing?
    Who wants to see directories when they're searching using Google.. I know I'd get annoyed.

Nora, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Directory owners would likely want to see it up there, especially for the directory name.

However, I think that google is finally putting the directory in between link farm & paid links, as in many ways that is where most of them go. I think that one of the things that did them in was Google Analytics which is likely watched by Google as well it is by the average webmaster. With that the Big G could likely see that it was the same folks that went to them all, and that most of those that did go only went once (to submit sites).

Qryztufre, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  3. Nora

Nora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know directory owners would.. but people searching wouldn't.
    I'm really happy that Google is penalizing them. Most directories only offer a bunch of links and no real quality/content.. why should they be ranked higher than good results?

Nora, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  4. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Only just saw this thread, and I'm seeing number of drops for some big directories :0

terryuk, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  5. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    some people hurry to make conclusion that Google penalizing directories, there are still many quality directories keep their SERP. any explanation for it?

check this for the Google attitude towards directory:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=457790

for those people who don't like directories, my suggestion: just ignore them. There are also many sites I don't like in Google search result.

xc06, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  6. Nora

Nora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Explanation for it.. quality ;)
    Sadly 99% of all directories seem to miss that.

Nora, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  7. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Your right Nora, in my opinion directories used as an add on to a business are fine.

www.businessservicesuk.com offer many services including a directory, the site is full of unique content and added to regularly. It can't be that bad, Logoworks like it and they have just been bought out by HP.

As for stand alone directories, they do struggle with the content issue, one that is very difficult to get round. They also make crucial SEO errors, something I pointed out in a previous thread. I guess they were seen as good money earners, time will tell if they survive.

Business Services, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  8. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    smub, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  9. abhishekdaaga

abhishekdaaga Guest

Best Answers:
    My directory seem to have not been beaten up by google.. it is showing nice results... & also is indexing new pages/articles & my blogging on the same dir.. :) I think i m lucky... But i m not blessed with enough submissions :(

abhishekdaaga, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  10. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't anyone tell you...it is not enough to be a quality directory. You need High PageRank to get submissions. :cool:.

sachin410, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  11. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Nope you are certainly not the only one. But who is to blame? Why do we allow unscrupulous directory owners to dominate this section of the industry? Why do we sit it out and wait for Google to clean up?

Just wait until the dust settles. They will be back strutting and crowing and looking as clever as they can. Its time we took the initiative and offered the market an alternative point of view.

workshop, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  12. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    not really. it helps but isnt vital

mikey1090, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  13. LanceT22

LanceT22 Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't think PR is "VITAL", especially with everything at Google being up in the air. I do think that a well run, well promoted directory with links and advertising strategically placed can do well also. Traffic is just as important as PR for a NEW directory.. Afterall, you can't have high PR overnight and isn't the goal of a quality directory to provide targetted traffic to more than just webmasters?

If PR is "vital" , then no directory would ever get anywhere. Only webmasters care about PR, general businesses want traffic, and shouldn't the goal of a successfully run directory be to become a resource to end-users and sites that aren't exclusively directories?

I agree it helps, and wish I had some. But finding ways to generate strategic traffic and interested end - users is also important for a new directory.

Lance

LanceT22, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  14. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post Lance

It is a little like link building, no one wants to exchange links with a low ranked site, however people fall over themselves to exchange when a site is built up.

Everything takes time and with all internet businesses its about conversion rates. A site that gets 5 visitors a day but converts 2 into paying customers can be a very successful business.

15. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the problems I noticed with directories in particular is they lack unique content and the description meta tags are the same throughout the whole site, very poor for sites with 1000's of pages.

16. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess one thing everyone is forgeting is that there is also no logic to dropping popular, well indexed, well linked directories in the SERP's. If I type in the keywords 'web directory' I am sure gooogle still wants to show me the most relevant results, same if I typed in the keywords 'peach juice'.

If gooogle ever decides to partially discount directory listings or something of the sort I don't think they would start by moving popular directories down in the SERPs.

I think this is a normal fluctuation and they might be tweaking their algorythms but I seriously doubt they are on a 'witch hunt' for directoreis.

jg123, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    LanceT22 and Instigator like this.
  17. LanceT22

LanceT22 Peon

Best Answers:

I also have to agree here, although I am no Google expert by any means. It seems odd to me that Google would target such a small industry as Directories. Especially with the numbers that fail or just disappear. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to go after MFA sites instead?

I just have a hard time believing that Google would decide that Directories are a huge problem for them. I mean, I honestly don't know many people (excluding directory owners) that think... hmmmm.... I think I'll search for "Bid For Position Directories" today...

I could be wrong.. have been many times in my life.. :)

Lance

LanceT22, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  18. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LanceT22 I think your train of thought is correct. Even if paid links were considered a big thorn in G's side I can't see them spending much resources on 'punishing' paid directories. There are many bigger problems out there which are causing them much more ebarassment and trouble.

jg123, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  19. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Didn't anyone tell you that this is the mentallity that's causing all the problems with Google! :rolleyes: PR chasers are like alcoholics, they are in denial, so sad.

The Pheonix, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    wildweb likes this.
  20. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but that is a fact.

If Alive or Aviva or other big directories were offering only no-follow links, they would lose majority of their business.

No matter how much directory owners deny it, most directories are about link juice and not about traffic.

www.gii.in gives free links with no-follow.

If it was only about traffic or advertising, why are webmasters paying to get listed in gii.in?

sachin410, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.