1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's official Google has opened up a can of whoop ass on directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 2, 2007.

1. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread is sufficient evidence that the majority do.

With respect to all the capable directory operators here, its not really useful comparing any directory marketed in this forum with botw, Yahoo

I remember an interview given by the operator of botw,

The questioner asked him whether botw would start using rel="nofollow" as favoured by a certain Search engine,

He simply replied "no", botw would carry on its own business, its own way and the SE's basically could do as they wished

Perhaps we should all ask ourselves why we run a directory, and whether the money we might be about to invest in them beyond today , is money well spent

centime, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  2. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dave E, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    dave, the weekend is the cause for the alexa drop.

look at my directory, or even DP. all alexas have dropped...

mikey1090, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  4. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    If people grasped the basics of SEO why would they need to spend money. My directroy has made a fair amount and I have not spent anything on it or do I intend to.

Business Services, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  5. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    The directories which are unique some way or the others are still ranking high. GII because, it has tons and tons perhaps thousands of pages of original content on a variety of topics. Moreover he adds new articles every week.

There are some negative points to be noted about general paid web directories which came up in the past 1 year on DP and around which bother me a lot. i.e -

1. Almost all directories have 80% same set of pages which highly resemble each other in terms of URL, Title Tags and content. Example see the following pages All with same title, url, and content-

http://www.linkrain.com/Recreation/Audio/
    http://www.xwebdirectory.com/recreation/audio/
    http://www.arisedirectory.com/Recreation/Audio/
    http://www.romow.com/Recreation/Audio/
    http://www.bestofthewebs.com/recreation/audio/
    http://www.muffo.org/Recreation/Audio/
    http://www.allinfodir.com/Recreation/Audio/
    http://www.get-index.com/Recreation/Audio/
    http://www.centraldirectory.net/Recreation/Audio/

and about 2500 others . http://www.google.com/search?q=inur...&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enIN229IN229&start=70&sa=N

2. Most of the directories keep empty pages which have no content at all. Some pages have no listed sites and those pages which have sites listed are generally the web directory section only which also has copy paste descriptions making either no content or duplicate content.

3. Directories mostly are not beneficial to non web masters.

4. They have a submit page which is linked from all the pages and it has paid options which clearly gives a impression that its a pay to list directories.

Well well well.... i think some changes need to be made by the web directory owners to their directories if they want to stand the test of time. I dont know what things could be done, but i would out line the most important things here -

1. Content is king, your directory must provide some kind of content, not necessarily articles but something which is useful to the non webmaster community too.

2. The directory must be a directory. What is a directory ? people forget the basic definition. Its like a yellow pages. When i want to find out textile dealers in california, i would pick it up and browse the yellow pages to find california then textile dealers. Similarly when a person (non webmaster) is looking for information on football, he should be able to find good football related websites using your directory (by going to sports >>football). A directory must not merely be a tool to sell link juice to other webmasters, but must be a resource or a list of good sites useful to the community as a whole.

3. Let your directory see the world out of DigitalPoint Forums.

4. We earlier had free web directories, then paid web directoreis, then we had a concept of quality paid web directories where we laid down lot of standards like having unique templates, having lot of backlinks etc. The standards need to be upgraded. Just installing phpld with a unique theme and spending 5000 bucks on buying links from web directories doesnt make a good web directory. Links and unique theme is not the factor (that comes into play when you are doing juice business). Unique theme is good if you could afford it. Usefulness of the directory is the most important factor.

5. Spend time editing the directory. Add more links to the empty category to quality authority sites. Add articles and information, tools and resources, advertise on high traffic sites for traffic and not for juice.

6. Some sites display sitelinks in google when searched for their main names. (Example) This happened with some directories too like alive and aviva and some people termed it as "Authority Directories" which become a popular term on DP from quite a long time. Total bullshit. Its due to branding and nothing else. See the site i gave above in example. Zapak.com. Just 81 backlinks in google and only 1500 in yahoo still it shows sitelinks. Its due to branding and link popularity. And calling it authority is always a misleading term. Read this

regards
    Aditya

aditya_sfs, Sep 2, 2007 IP
    MTbiker, Agent47, carboncat and 2 others like this.
  6. WorldImpulse

WorldImpulse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You missed the traffic factor which G takes into account for authority (in addition to other factors) ;)

WorldImpulse, Sep 2, 2007 IP
    moneymakingguru likes this.
  7. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    exactly all the things i have been thinking. rep added.

edit. couldnt give rep:(

mikey1090, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  8. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    No-one likes to see someone get taken down like this but wasn't it pretty much going to happen? Let's not kid ourselves, Google ain't dull and can't be beaten. There's only two ways they can go to save face, either take down PR chasers or take away PR on its own. Which one do you think is more likely?

The Pheonix, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  9. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Apart from the homepage submissions why do people submit to directories anyway?

Are the submissions going to be read, nope

Will people get PR juice? Maybe a little from the very high ranked directories, however 90% have internal pages of 0PR and are not indexed.

Will millions of free submissions help SERPS? In Yahoo and MSN maybe, Google no.

So it begs the question why do people pay for submissions? The answer... They do not have a clue what they are doing, hence we design directories.

10. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I also think it's just a temporary Serp change, it should go back to normal in a few days or so

Jarodboy, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  11. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Free PR3 Business Directory" in your sig... is that yours?
    If so, are you on a 12 step program or something?

pctec, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  12. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Notice most of them who submit to new web directories are other directory owners themselves and some other kind of people. If i say more, i will be crucified here itself lol.

13. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, I may be new at all this, but when a website doesn't rank for it's own name, then that sounds more than just a 'fluctuation' in the SERPs.

If I was one of those site owners, telling me not to worry would not be comforting.

I would think it would be pretty easy for G to detect a bidding directory, and I wouldn't be surprised if G put the smack down on them.

Artifexus, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  14. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    If you type in www.(yoursite.com) into the google toolbar and your site is not number 1 you have been hit by a penalty.

Sometimes terminal sometimes temp, generally not good news

15. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes there is a huge directory industry based on this ignorance. There are is a huge group of directory owners who are advising, under the guise of seo advice, to submit to these pay for inclusion directories. The reality is that that google gives very little or no credence to being listed in the great majority of these directories. It is an industry build on smoke and mirrors.

nebuchadrezzar, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  16. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    dotcompals, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  17. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
  18. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

they did some targeting off thier own, nothing more..:p

If you have targeted keyword terms and they know you did seo
    purposely to gain serps then chances are youve been penalized..

Hence build for vistors not SEs...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  19. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure if anyone noticed this one too. Big Web Links not on the first page for its own name.

I am just throwing something out there to see what you think. Does it seem that the effects (if there are any) may be driven off a penalty to bidding directories? Or is it across the board?

You could say some of the effects that non bidding directories feel are from links they had from bidding directories..

swedal, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  20. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    How do you come to that conclusion? For example I typed in www.avivadirectory.com and of course it came up, then went to Google's homepage and typed in avivadirectory and nothing but spurious results which is what this whole topic is about? :confused:

The Pheonix, Sep 2, 2007 IP