1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's o.k. to make $5.35/hr with Google Adsense!

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by LOLMOM, Aug 25, 2006.

I found this really cool article about making money with Adsense and I thought some of you would find it informative. It's not about "how" to do it, but more about how to put the fact that you're not making thousands of dollars a month like others are into perspective.

I placed the link here:

http://howtomakeinternetmoney.blogspot.com

Oh...I must say that I'm not anywhere near making this much either. LOL!:)

LOLMOM, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  2. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    tyggemannen, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  3. Simon1987

Simon1987 Guest

Best Answers:
    I dont want to sign up to read a story :(

Simon1987, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  4. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Why dont you post the story here mate, instead of making us go to ur site ;/ we wont click your ads...

Seiya, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  5. bobisawsome7

bobisawsome7 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think he made that blog with a PR3 XD

bobisawsome7, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  6. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    Here is the story:

I fear for all the newbies who may get skewed expectations (OK, even worsely skewed than they walked in with) by reading this forum. People everywhere seem to be making thousands of dollars a month, Markus makes millions per year, and... so you must be an utter dolt if you're sitting there staring at your $105 check for last month.
    Maybe not.

Like most web distributions of everything, there's a power law effect for people going after AdSense income. In other words, a few people (and you can bet they post to let us know who they are!) are going to make the lion's share of the money, some larger number of people are going to make OK money, and a whole lot of us are going to make, well, not really very good money at all.

Of course, the whole lynchpin of the winner-take-all society is the way that our insane belief that we'll be one of the lucky few helps us keep plugging away for a pittance. The large number of ghetto kids who are certain they're going to be NBA stars have a lot in common with AdSense slave-workers who are convinced they're going to be the next Markus-like Millionaire.

But let's run some numbers anyway, even though everyone who thinks the numbers couldn't apply to them will keep thinking that way. It won't change anyone's behavior, but maybe seeing some numbers that actually match your own experience (as opposed to making you ashamed of your own experience) might be a pleasant change.

Scenario

There's a million ways to skin the AdSense cat, but certainly the straight-shooter, white-hat, Build Good Content and Good Advertisers Will Come approach is used by a whole lot of new AdSensers. Practically speaking, if you're just now embarking on a black-hat, get-rich-quick scheme, then you're so far behind the old-timers (and Google) that the odds against you are even crueller anyway.

So here's the scenario: You're going to make your AdSense gold by building good content and getting ads, and over time the dollars will just keep mounting up.

Assigning Numbers

Of course, AdSense income varies very widely by topic and by what SmartPricing thinks of you this week. But still, I think it's possible to arrive at some plausible guesses for some average income.

One oft-quoted guesstimate claims that people in the AdSense content business make roughly $10/page per year. But I'm going to say a more realistic estimate is $5/page per year. That's probably better than you're going to make off a joke-of-the-day type of content, but probably plausible for anyone who does a modest amount of investigation about where likely good income topics lie.

I know, if you're a newbie you're thinking "oh, I'm pretty sure I can beat $10/page per year". I know, you're special, but remember that this set of numbers is aimed at what's going to happen to most newbie AdSensers, not really smart people like you, to whom the odds do not apply.

Also keep in mind that a number of things conspire against the new AdSenser. If you got few pages, it's harder to get natural inbound links. It's harder to get PR and harder to rank highly for popular terms. Think of AdSense like one of those online games where you have to spend the first part of the game being a toady and doing a grunt work to get enough gold/skills/whatever to actually have any fun (and to avoid being wiped out by the first opponent you look at funny).

So yes, however improbably low you think it, let's go with $5/page per year.

Next, of course, is how fast can you write pages? As always, there's a trade-off here. Two sentences per page is going to let you crank a lot out quickly -- but lower the odds that they'll actually do you any good. And, if you just write crap, you greatly lower the odds you'll get any of those "natural", one-way, inbound links from authority sites.

Google is not magic, but if you think they have not managed to achieve at least a rough correlation between rankings and actual website quality/usefulness, then why are you investing time in this business anyway?

Also, you ain't gonna live off the income from your initial 10-page AdSense site, so you've probably got to spend some time elsewhere making a living. You probably can't work 10-hour days on nothing but creating content. And, many people have actual families or other frivolous pursuits that keep them from working 7-day weeks. And remember, we're looking for numbers that describe what's going to happen to most newbie AdSensers who embark on this expedition.

I want to go with a number of 2 hours per page, and 4 hours per day. And I'll assume you work on this project 5 days per week, and 50 weeks per year.

Multiplication!

Now comes the fun part. You plug away at this AdSense thing for a year, and where do you think you (the imaginary "average" AdSenser) will be?

Well, after a year, you've got 50 weeks * 5 days/week * 2 pages/day = 500 pages. Wow! Let's hope you picked a topic that you could actually write that much about! (What was the most number of pages you ever wrote for a term paper? Hmmmmmm...)

Now how much yearly income will your website make you at that point? Well, 500 pages * 5 dollars/page/year = $2500/year = $208/month.

Is it Worth It?

Let's suppose after that year of work, your website will produce as estimated for a while. Of course, you don't really make that $2500 in year 1, because your page count was slowly growing from zero during the first year. And some people are going to find that their website earnings on a "frozen" site go up, while many will find them going down sooner or later, due to competition or algorithm changes.

But to make the math easy, let's assume (conservatively I think), that your total earnings (even in the face of Google algorithm changes) from this website will be at least 3 * $2500 = $7500 -- even if you do no other work on it after the end of year one. One of the paybacks for doing true-blue, white-hat, decent content development should be that you're less likely to get "wiped out" completely by a Google algorithm change, though I would not expect the website to earn it's peak forever with no changes.

So, you made $7500 and all you invested was 50 * 7 * 4 = 1400 hours. That's right, you made $5.35/hour.

Sorry, you grossed $5.35/hour. You'll probably need to be paying taxes (and some Social Security in the U.S.) on that. But still, you had the pleasure of being your own boss, eh?

Conclusion

Disagree with my assumptions? Of course you do! But if you're an AdSense newbie, you should at least look at the numbers and then see whether your own estimates are panning out as you go.

After a couple of months of AdSense work, do you have more or less than the 80 pages of content I'm assuming the average AdSenser will have?

After a couple of months of AdSense work, are you making more or less than the $.14/page per day I've assumed here?

After a couple of months of AdSense work, do you have more or less than the 160 hours of invested time I guesstimated for this model?

Am I anywhere close in my estimation of what will happen to the average AdSenser? I don't know, but I suspect this flimsy model is a lot closer to reality than you'll get by reading posts by people who are on the sweet end of the power-law curve. People at the much more heavily populated end of the curve (that's the part that looks an awful lot like a flat line) rarely post their earnings experience.

Sometimes I wonder if those unrealistic expectations don't lead to more cases of outright fraud, as people decide that must be what "everyone else" is doing, since "everyone else" seems to be striking it rich with AdSense.

Am I telling people not to try to make AdSense? No. But I'm telling people to not do AdSense instead of getting an education, to not quit their job to do AdSense, to not forego relationships to work more on AdSense. And if you're here to tell me that you did all those things and you're now the NBA star equivalent of AdSense, well, just remember that one bad injury can take you out of the game forever.

tyggemannen, Aug 26, 2006 IP
    delrivo likes this.
  7. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True, but the minority use Adsense for a living, and if they make that amount, they are not stupid to depend on Adsense only.

infonote, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  8. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, great information, however I would never attempt to live on AdSense earnings no matter how good they were, id use it as a bonus

bacanze, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  9. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I like these lines. Really true.

jimkarter, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  10. sebastya

sebastya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sebastya, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  11. LOLMOM

LOLMOM Peon

Best Answers:
    I am very new here and must need to get a thicker skin or something. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

tyggemannen:

:eek:

How unkind! I merely thought to share a really good Adsense article!

I noticed that I could have just have likely placed the information here, but since it is someone else's information, I don't usually do that without crediting that person. I am not allowed yet to have a live link here, but I'll remember to just post the actual article the next time (or the link to it).

:mad: You suck for trying to put down a beginners attempt to monetizing their blog. Remember where you came from as you were not born with the knowledge you now have!

Seiya - you too! :D
    Peace!

Liz

LOLMOM, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  12. emuut

emuut Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like to read long things.. stories that dont make me money :D

emuut, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  13. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey Lolmom, I love you too.

Who said I have knowledge ? :D Not me.

Just to clarify. Your blog is ugly to people like us who seek info on doing what you are doing on the blog. For making money the blog probably are beautiful. So I dont mean there are something wrong with your blog. Feeling better ?

14. LOLMOM

LOLMOM Peon

Best Answers:
    Making an awful criticism is an implication that you, my friend, must think you can do it better, thus the "knowledge." By all means, teach! I can take constructive criticism. I just hate hurtful, unkind words.

Anyway, I'm moving on to bigger and better things. I need to learn about how to do what I am "trying" to do using my blog to delineate how I have learned so far and what I plan on learning in the future.

I don't mean to bandy words about with you. I'm sure you are a fine person. May you have peace and goodwill wherever you go - just try to be a little kinder.

Liz

LOLMOM, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  15. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    Your site is a blogspot template with ads on it, if somebody should get hurt, me calling it terrible, its blogspot themself, not you, but I doubt they care about me.

Ok, by the way, here is a tip: ugly pages often converts better when it comes to adsense.
    With that in mind you will see that in this business ugly, terrible and awful might be positive words.

16. LOLMOM

LOLMOM Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL! Nicely put. It's funny how a little time away can put things into perspective. Have a wonderful rest of the weekend. It's all good here! Thanks for the clarification.

LOLMOM, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  17. bluefox21

bluefox21 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol....that's just for the U.S. or similar monetary value countries. I would be a king with $10 a day....

bluefox21, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  18. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    yup impressive ,loved reading the article

010081, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  19. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    that was good article thanks

trichnosis, Aug 27, 2006 IP
  20. Cage Rattler