1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's coming 2007/2008!!!!

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by Nick..., Sep 29, 2007.

1. warman2442

warman2442 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agree, change the domain name, make it unique with no other companies even close to it. Like Shanktard or something lol

warman2442, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  2. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I think I would start out small, knock off a few smaller ones, Mamma, alexa, work my way up to MSN and Yahoo and then go for the gold and kill Google. :)

adacprogramming, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  3. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    thats a pretty serious goal, but it took google years to even approach market dominance..there is no way that sluuurp or whatever it is called will be able to knock off google from the top in a short period of time..too many people rely on google to bother switching to an other search engine.

mark123456, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The market leader ISP down in New Zealand had an alliance with MSN and then Yahoo and the default home page for their users is the alliance homepage with Yahoo search. Most people don't know how to change their homepage so they go along with it - and use Yahoo to search as a consequence.

If you can get some relationships like that going it will be a big help - but you'll need account managers to handle the relationships while you concentrate on coding --- or you'll need coders while you concentrate on selling.

sarahk, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  5. firmaterra

firmaterra Peon

Best Answers:
    I wish you the best with this.

What kind of backend are you using? We're currently working on one in JAVA, written from the ground up, we're nearly finished too. I don't say this to hijack your thread in any way, just after nearly going bald from the process I'm intrigued to see what you've done! I tip my hat to you if you can finish 80% of the content for early 2008 (you had 20% done in your first post in september!).
    The actually spidering is kids play, compared to the parsing and sorting of the data. It can be a real headwrecker if you haven't got a plan for the processing - One thing we found invaluable was to paint a huge chart on the wall with the flow process of the webpage, from obtaining the link, spidering, storing, parsing and back around to grabbing the links and starting the process all over again.
    As Rob said, I hope its not PHP and SQL you are utilising for the backend. PHP may have the capabilities to to actually spider and crawl the internet, but SQL certainly does not have the scale capabilities required. For the volume you're talking about (could be over 120 Billion pages to parse - even at 30KB for pure text storage, without any duplicate records -->you do the maths!). For this type of data you have to get a close as possible to the storage and processing, and that means JAVA or C++ or some low level language. (We're even dubious about JAVA's capabilities for such a volume! )For storage you'll have to minimise disk seeks and writes, which is another reason sql would be a pure nightmare. I suspect, your harddrive would blow up before you'd completed 2 trawls of the internet! In addition you'll find very quickly that the open source engines out there are something akin to phpBB - they can be spammed very quickly and easily by anyone, and no matter how you tweak the Algo, it's still running off the basic Algo that was built into it.
    Anyhow, I'd be happy to chat to compare ideas if that interested you.

firmaterra, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  6. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am optamistic about new ideas including this one but I would post when it is finished. Just an idea. But anyways let me know when its done. I would like to take a look at it.

worldman, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  7. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    and even with all of those deals with ISPs, these search engines struggle to compete with Google. Yes, I know that Yahoo has a higher Alexa rank, but this is due to the huge variety of services they provide. Google focuses primarily on search, and is the world's number one search engine, despite having very few of those ISP homepage deals. Even if sluuurp manages to get these deals (which they will have to pay a sizeable sum for), they will still have difficulty unseating google.

mark123456, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  8. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you do a different approach to it you can. For instance instead of trying to get deals you could instead market it for information. Thus you would be able to attract viewers plus advertisers.

worldman, Oct 9, 2007 IP