1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's a trap! Don't be caught by this when paying for hosting. Has it happened to you?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by DKMTT, Feb 10, 2015.

Hey all,

I thought it would be a good to share this with the newbie in mind because it can cause a shock.
    I registered my domain and through a recommendation used Bluehost. Their shared hosting payment plan for 3 years is exceptional, working out at $4 a month and comes with a friendly and very competent customer service.

However, when I proceeded to pay and was redirected to the confirmation page I realised I had been charged for the 36 months upfront. The way it was promoted was $4/month for 36 months, so being a newb I thought it was automatically a payment plan. Has this ever happened to you?

Bright side is it upped my commitment to be successful online, I can register unlimited domain and as previously stated, their customer support rocks.

Hope this helps :)

DKMTT, Feb 10, 2015 IP
  2. gigapros

gigapros Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's how EVERY hosting company works out there. By paying upfront, they are assured that you will remain with them for 3 yrs. And in return, they give you the benefit for low cost. That's how a win-win situation works.

gigapros, Feb 10, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch and Teedager like this.
  3. uand.eye

uand.eye Active Member

Best Answers:
    This isn't a trap, they tell you how much it will cost before taking any money. You have to confirm and authorise any payment.

I suspect that this could be someone promoting Bluehost... How do you know that their service is so good if you have just signed up?

uand.eye, Feb 11, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    How is this a shock? First of all - if it "works out to $4 a month for 3 years" then the total is $144 - which is a droplet in the sea. And if that (that they charge for the complete period up front) is a "shock" then you really haven't done much online, or research beforehand. Bah. I'm agreeing - Bluehost peddler

PoPSiCLe, Feb 11, 2015 IP
  5. DKMTT

DKMTT Peon

Best Answers:
    @gigapros I never saw that I was going to be charged in one lump sum, maybe I missed it as I was also packing to go the airport and I think with hostgator you can do a monthly plan... I am new at this. @uand.eye I know because I hosted a domain with them, when I input the registered domain I mispelled, called them up and it was sorted that same day. @PoPSiCLe It may be a droplet in the sea for some, I am new to internet marketing and on a shoestring budget.

What am I doing that deserves an accusation of promoting a company? It is just an experience I have gone through and have shared it so no other newbie does...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    DKMTT, Feb 12, 2015 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, like HostGator, many other hosts do offer monthly plans. However the pricing on those is usually more expensive (especially if you look at it long-term) and might have other costs (like setup fee) which are waived on an yearly plan. I agree that almost all hosts charge upfront for 1 and more years of hosting and the final amount that would be charged should appear in your order before submitting. It does seem like a case of a lack of knowledge but you will surely learn from that experience, which is good.

Don't feel bad and take it personally if someone expressed doubts of the truthfulness of your case. Its nothing against you personally, its just that many forums, including this one, are really dominated by affiliates who use any chance of advertising the host that pays them, even without having personal experience. And this is especially true for the hosts which are operated from one large company - EIG. BlueHost, HostGator, iPage and at least 30-40 more are all EIG and they are heavily advertised over the web. They do have a ton of money so they can afford paying big comissions to affiliates, Top XX sites, directories etc. Word on their quality is very much different though - once acquired by EIG those hosts seem to decline both in performance and in customer support. Its just looking at things objectively.

If you really are a BH customer and happy with it - great for you, really. Hope it continues to be that way as you have tied a long-term contract with them and it will be a pity if problems start soon...

Rado_ch, Feb 12, 2015 IP
    paullopez likes this.
  7. dustoff3210

dustoff3210 Member

Best Answers:
    Actually hostmonster will refund your money if you leave them. and they have an annual plan. I am pretty sure that's the way they work. But always check for yourself. I know it's time consuming to read all the rules,but you minimize surprises when you do.

dustoff3210, Feb 13, 2015 IP
  8. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes with BlueHost and HostMonster, originally sister brands, and now both are under EIG, you can get a pro-rated refund should you decide to cancel your hosting plan. So 36 month payments to get the lowest price works out with web hosting companies that offer pro-rated refunds, since you are able to get the remaining balance on your plan back if you cancel.

micksss, Feb 22, 2015 IP