1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Isn't it hard finding jobs that allow you to write on your favorite subjects?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by DreamingBig, Jul 3, 2010.

Hey,

I do a lot of content writing for clients, or blog posts. Most of them I don't mind but sometimes they give me keywords that might be really difficult and take up a lot of time to research yet expect to get paid the regular amount regardless. Wouldn't it be great having or finding a job that would allow you to write whatever you want, or either let you write on the niches that you might be good at and then they pay you extra for other detailed work? I love the following topics:

• Weight Loss
    • SEO
    • How To Save Money Tips
    • Childcare tips
    • Animals
    • Dating and Relationships
    You would think that those would be very easy topics and that you would be able to get jobs on them right away but it turns out that people generally ask for other niches. Believe it or not, another thing I enjoy doing is just writing whatever comes to mind....I can do some high quality posts that way but most don't ask for them.

Do you get frustrated at the keywords given to you? Are you REALLY happy with the subjects that you have to write about??

Kari

DreamingBig, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  2. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well in my case I often write SEO articles, and when the keywords or phrases suck, in terms of result, I try to convince the client. If he or she won't listen and I know in advance the results will be crap, I will simply refuse the assignment.

I am the expert and that is why they hire me. If they won't listen they don't need a SEO expert, they need a monkey and should hire one.

Kraven2, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  3. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Refusal of the assignment is sometimes what you have to do, more so if they have hard keyword topics and not offering very much for it in return ...still many take those kinds of jobs because they need $$$ so the client (or ex client?) continues to offer the prices without learning anything.

DreamingBig, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  4. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    On the other hand those are the clients that keep popping up in BST complaining about how they always ended up with crap.

Gee wonder why..... :p

Kraven2, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  5. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    *shrugs shoulders* No. Just go to the sources, magazines, newspapers, portals...that are on those subjects.

And for the seo, all the articles need are a few keywords here and there in the first few paragraphs.

It's the readers whom link into the site, the page(s) that does it.

Perry Rose, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  6. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Finding jobs writing in magazines and newspapers is a whole lot easier than landing these jobs. Sure they pay tons more than you will ever get paid here on DP, but you are probably going to have to write the same articles a few times before it gets accepted. But, they make it worth it. But, with some determination you will get there.

In the mean time stick to what you know best. Writing web content is a lot easier than writing print content. This of course is my opinion.

And SEO is not just a few keywords placed in a the first paragraph. Maybe you need to learn something about it before you start posting crap.

gvannorman, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  7. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is quite hard to get jobs that allow you to write on your favourite subjects. Try to enjoy what you get or write articles on your favorite subjects, put them on your own websites and monetize them.

lightless, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  8. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's a matter of need, compromise and opportuniation (I'm trademarking this).

Need: As in, you need the cash, so you can't be picky

Compromise: As in, you're willing to settle for any topics as long as the rewards is justified.

Opportuniation (Repeat: I'm trademarking this): Hunting for the topics you like and not compromising on it.

I guess, in a way, it's a matter of progression. The better you get, the more established you become, the easier it becomes to find topics that are close to your heart.

atreides, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  9. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    One way to do it is just write a set of say 10 500 word articles of your choice and then sell them on BST. May not get you the jackpot for the articles, but you will be writing about what you love ;)

Kraven2, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  10. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    Do you think that every subject has a buyer?

gvannorman, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  11. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes I do. And do keep in mind that DP is by far not the only place one can sell of the articles. If they are technically correct(Grammar, style, etc..) You could also submit them to constant content where buyers can pick them up.

I tried that a month or two ago, with two articles on using Adsense. They went at $ 27 each at constant content.

Kraven2, Jul 4, 2010 IP
    gvannorman likes this.
  12. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    Really, I have never used Constant Content. I will have to check it out.

Thanks

13. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should, it is one of the highest paying places for writers I know.

Kraven2, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  14. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreaming Big You have a minor distraction that you must solve immediately.

From this moment forward, think of yourself as a business person..... an account executive. That is what separates writers easy, their self perception. Do you picture writing as a career or a job. You cannot achieve satisfaction until you treat writing as a career.

Do you have a boss? Yes, the toughest one imaginable.... yourself. That means you are running a business. Not someone walking around with a big sign stating, "for Hire, offer me anything."

Third step. So now you are a business person running your own business, how are your clients going to be found. Remember YOU have to decide, simply: Do you want them to be the-get-rich-quick, pay a few bucks and make $50? Or do you want them to be professionals that work in the service sector.

Their income depends on finding new clients to use their services. However instead of a sale being worth $50.00, it may be $1,000 or $10,000. Most wear similar underwear to you, they work hard, their sweat stinks, they just make more money.

However, they pay more. And once in the door, you could have a load of various writing work.

Those steps are easy, now this next one is not hard, but requires some thinking. Make a list of a full 25 items you would like to write about. Now what about weight loss. How much does a weight loss clinic make off a new client? How much does a fitness club make off of memberships? Are there any big nutrient distributors? It seems there you have a match. Now find the others that match.

There is a whole internet of people to help. Kraven can tell you how to join free professional groups in these areas. Still a little timid, and need a wading pool to start? Are there any laws about writing very well and stealing other people's clients?

Go to, for example, EzineArticles. Type in health clinics, or fitness clubs, or health distributors, or exercise machines. Now scan the article for two things. One the quality of the article, and second the website in the bio box. Can you write that article better? Is the site a professional business?

Kraven can show you how to score the article they have posted. (probably about a 70). With a few tips in structuring and SEO, let's say yours only scores 140. It is worth twice as much to the owner. Why would the owner not want to make more sales? This is the easiest way to double your income (at least), plus your new client already knows the power of articles. Now should not the original be on the website, and the second as content on the website? Boom another sale.

I am not an idol worshiper of everything in books. There is a famous book written with the key concept "I can." There is another one by I believe Ben Sweetland, but his message was different. Instead it was, "I Will." Which one do you choose?

dyadvisor, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  15. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thankfully I'm in a position to dismiss jobs which subjects don't like.

Mystique, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  16. DrewLondon

DrewLondon Guest

Best Answers:
    Not really. I feel if you look hard enough you can find the topics you want. I always find articles that I want to write about but some stuff are really boring.

DrewLondon, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  17. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    I have found myself getting a bit bored with anything. Sometimes even subjects that I like can be boring depending on how tired I am. But, knowing that this is business and in order for that business to succeed I must write my best work each time and every time. I write because I want to not because I have to.

18. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    "I must write my best work each time and every time"

Couldn't have put it any better, Norman.

atreides, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  19. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    The OP is referring to writing jobs not SEO work. It's not really your job as a writer to convince the client the keyword sucks. Obviously, if you have a big client base, then you can pick and choose your clients.

dcristo, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  20. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Writing for the purpose of SEO is still writing, and though my reasons for not accepting such an assignment may differ, the rest still very much applies to the OP's post.

And I agree it takes a comfortable client base to be financially able to do that.
    Seems obvious to me.

Yes it is. The client expects a certain result, and when I know upfront he or she will not be getting it, it is my job as the expert(After all they hire me because they lack the skill) to point that out.

Educating your client is a very important part actually.

Kraven2, Jul 5, 2010 IP