1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is your computer slow?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jeremycollins, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ramram

ramram Peon

Best Answers:
    It was fast when I bought it, but slowed like a dotard now

ramram, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  2. RagekiJohn

RagekiJohn Peon

Best Answers:
    No, he's always running out of virtual memory which means he doesn't have enough RAM. Even if you increase the virtual memory, it'll run a lot slower than running on physical memory. If you can afford a new computer, you should definitely get one. Celeron is old and a new dual core computer with 2GB RAM is pretty cheap nowadays. If I were to build one, I believe it would only cost me around $300. Anyways, here's what you need to do.

Download Lavasoft Ad-Aware. The free version should be enough. Just conduct a full scan. There is a chance that your computer is infected with adware and spyware. It is definitely recommended to clean out all that junk because it could be slowing down your computer.

Download a good Anti-Virus solution. Don't get some fancy with tons of features. You just need somewith with anti-virus protection and a firewall. I'm currently running Nod32 and I like it. It doesn't consume a lot of system resources but other anti-virus solutions are good as well. Just tell me what your running and I'll be able to figure out whether you'll be fine keeping it or you need a new one.

Disable some programs in the background. Run MSConfig and disable whatever junk you don't need. If there's a lot of icons running in your task bar next to your clock, that's a sign. You definitely need to clean out some of that junk and disable it from constantly booting up with your computer. Your computer isn't fast and it isn't mean to handle all those programs running at once. You should also go to run and type services.msc. There are a ton of services there that aren't required and you could disable for system resources. If you aren't using Wifi, then I would definitely recommend disabling that.

There might be some features such as shadows that you wouldn't require. Disable those as well. Your computer isn't mean to handle fancy features, it's just mean to run. Defragment your computer every month or so. Whenever you do, make sure you aren't doing anything at all except defragmenting so your computer can do it properly. If your running Windows Vista Basic, uninstall it right away. Your computer can't handle Vista and you should definitely downgrade back to Windows XP.

There might be some other stuff that I left out but try all those solutions and if you need anymore help, just feel free to contact me via IM, email, or this thread. You don't have to format it like the others have said, but it will definitely be a lot of work fixing your computer if you don't format.

RagekiJohn, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  3. Proximity

Proximity Banned

Best Answers:
    My computer is not slow at all.

I think you need to format and install only necessary software.

Proximity, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  4. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Reformatting the PC is the best solution for you...

Increasing the ram is also a very good option. Do both and you will be riding on a refreshed horse !

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  5. jeremycollins

jeremycollins Peon

Best Answers:
    How would I reinstall XP? I have two disks, from Dell, and they are:

"OPERATING SYSTEM" Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell tm computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.
    For distribution only with a new Dell computer.

and

"DRIVERS AND USER DOCUMENTATION" Dell tm E207WFP LCD Monitor

Will these two disks reinstall the entire os?

If so, how would I go about doing it? What about old drivers that I don't have installation disks for?

jeremycollins, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  6. RagekiJohn

RagekiJohn Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are already running Windows XP, you do not have to reinstall. However, if you want to format, then get yourself a copy of Windows XP from Microsoft, not Dell. Then just stick it into your CD Rom drive and reboot the computer. It'll take you to the Windows XP installation screen. There you can just do a quick format or a full format(quick format should be enough.) and format your drive. Afterwards, you can just install XP from scratch.

@RightMan The OP has already stated that his computer is maxed out on RAM. His only alternative would be to get a new computer.

7. jeremycollins

jeremycollins Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't really have the money to buy xp again! I bought it with my computer a few years back (btw I am still paying for this thing too...) so buying a new comp is out of choice unless I can get one for $400, which would be in a few months!

jeremycollins, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  8. YSeo

YSeo Peon

Best Answers:
    My computer works just fine . I used to have vista , switched to xp , works just fine.

YSeo, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  9. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    justinlorder, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  10. gods4me

gods4me Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey,
    My computer runs pretty quickly. Altho if i had XP on it instead of Vista i think it would be much faster, i really hate vista :(

gods4me, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  11. Chrissy17

Chrissy17 Peon

Best Answers:
    Does it become slow only when you're surfing, or also while playing games, and working on other programs?

Chrissy17, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  12. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah format it and reinstall everything, may be its full of virus, or else go for assembled PC with high configuration.
    Just purchased my DELL XPS desktop and Laptop. running like lightning fast, of course they are highly well configured.

Oranges, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  13. flyingfishwang

flyingfishwang Guest

Best Answers:
    extremely slow, I also want some advices. I guess I can finish double of my work if i have a new one.

flyingfishwang, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  14. RagekiJohn

RagekiJohn Peon

Best Answers:
    You could try borrowing a Windows XP CD from a friend. Just reuse the CD Key that came with your Dell. If you can't reformat because you can't find a disc, then just use the guide I wrote up at the top. You should also be able to get some help at www.tweakxp.com. Also, what model number is your Dell? I'll look it up to see if your computer is able to run the Intel Application Accelerator. Supposedly, that should increase the performance of your computer by 10% if your computer is able to run it.

15. I'mPossible

I'mPossible Banned

Best Answers:
    May be your computer , infected from viruses .

I'mPossible, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  16. CyberWorldJobs

CyberWorldJobs Peon

Best Answers:
    Better spend some money and get some good hardware, or format ur total hard drive install Xp freshly,once in a month defragment your drive and every day clean ur junk files like temp files use ccleaner

CyberWorldJobs, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  17. SEO.Guru

SEO.Guru Banned

Best Answers:
    You dont have to buy Windows XP Again .. if you already Purchased a Licensed Windows XP with your Computer Just Reinstall System with Reinstall CD it will Automatically Install your System with Complete Data Backup. After you installed you Windows just Run Drivers CD and Install All Driver if Need ...

SEO.Guru, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  18. Ganon

Ganon Member

Best Answers:
    And the most important thing, use a good internet navigator.. that's the key to stop spyware and other crap to mess your PC.

Ganon, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  19. davcheong

davcheong Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If not mistaken, according to your processor specs, it can at least having 533mhz, and for sure the motherboard that you are having, are able to support not just 768MB, at least 1GB+. Try putting 512MB x 2 for dual channel. Otherwise, try look for a Intel Processor which is not Celeron. Celeron run slower, but it is also depends on what type of application that you are running. If you are running XP, it shouldn't have much problem. Try check your startup files, which I suspect, there are some other unneccessaries application running once your windows starts.

davcheong, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  20. jeremycollins

jeremycollins Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I am running XP, and I have already cleared out unnecessary start up files. So, I should remove some of my ram, say a 512mb, and replace it with a higher stick?

jeremycollins, Dec 30, 2008 IP