1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Yahoo stripping directories from its SERPS?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Old Welsh Guy, Jul 26, 2004.

Simple question, is Yahoo doing this? It certainly seems to be doing it. Has anyone else had directories just disappear from Y!

I had two directories, nothing untoward going on with them, they have been in there for months, sites added daily to them. No cross linking or anything, just honest directories going about their business.

A client mailed me today to tell me that he could not find the directory pages. I checked and yes it has gone, checked the second one, that had gone also. There is absolutely no link connection between these two directories, they are about different subjects, different areas, with not a single link between them.

The only real connection, is that they both use the same script, and they both have a link back to my site in the footer. My site that I have linked back to is fine, just the two directories that have gone.

It really doesn't worry me anyhow from a business POV, as no one has paid for inclusion (despite them being a PR5)! I am just curious as to this being a trend.

Wierd!

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 26, 2004 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The last update did seem to strip two obvious directories (DMOZ and the Google directory) from the link: query. Whether or not it was a one-time update fluke or just stripped out for cosmetic reasons, it's hard to say.

digitalpoint, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  3. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Y! does say that they do not accept sites that are in effect links to other sites (which is obviously what a directory is ) but I can't see them doing it en bloc. There are a lot of good directories out there, it would be a shame to see it happen.

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Considering that Yahoo is very obviously deeply into training for the Stupid event at the upcoming Olympics, nothing surprises.

Owlcroft, Jul 26, 2004 IP
  5. Jenny Barclay

Jenny Barclay Peon

Best Answers:
    We have several directories that enjoy No.1 for a considerable number of their entries, and this situation has not changed in the last 12 months.

Jenny Barclay, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  6. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Slightly different question, but has anyone seen an increase in Google directory categories listed amongst the results in Google search?

DarrenC, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  7. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree with you on this ..... I think stripping directories from SERPs would be pretty good (if it is, in fact happening) for users using the search engines. After all, when you search for a keyword, say "Olympics", you would want to get some sites that have stuff about the Olympics, and not sites that have links to sites that have stuff about Olympics! :) Taking directories out of SERPs takes users one step closer to relevant sites.

BUT, I do think that it would make good sense to use the directories as a source of info, links etc. when compiling the SERPs.

dfsweb, Sep 16, 2004 IP