1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is .ws bad for SEO ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by FireStorM, Feb 9, 2006.

Very often while searching for domains before buying , i find that only .ws is left ..

I want to know if .ws is a bad extention for SERPS and the others are better than it .

thx

FireStorM, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Of course they aren't. Why would a search engine discriminate against a certain contry's TLD?

T0PS3O, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Not bad at all. I have a .ws site that produces very well and ranks very well in yahoo/msn for some extremely competitive terms. Still sandboxed (or whatever flavor the term is used today) with google.

Treat it like you would any other site with good content, good seo and good backlinks and it will reward you well.

I'm in the process of setting up some additional keyword rich .ws sites as well.

GTech, Feb 9, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  4. FireStorM

FireStorM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok then , thx .. I thought .com is better than .ws

FireStorM, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  5. HalfAgain

HalfAgain Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using .info's primarily now. But here's a quick test I did to see which domains google may like better. Look up any term in google and check out the tld's in the top 10. Which appears the most?

Not that this is a fullproof test by any means, but it's just one way to look at it

HalfAgain, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  6. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    .coms have been around longer and also nobody develops a serious website with a .info extension, that's the big part of it.

I don't know of any major companies or websites with a .info, .ws, .ca etc. domain name. Also, most people "assume" websites all have a .com extension - hence another reason major companies usually go with a .com

Theirs no seo advantage reguardless of the extension, only good marketing strategies to lean towards a .com

mdvaldosta, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  7. jontra_volta

jontra_volta Peon

Best Answers:
    i asked a similar question at askdavetaylor and here is what he replied:

sorry but i still cant post links, that's why i quoted.

jontra_volta, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  8. HalfAgain

HalfAgain Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post and interesting answer. If most people and companies give more weight to .coms, only putting trust in these and hence companies putting their "serious" sites on them, if I were google I'd weight them higher specifically because of this.

HalfAgain, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  9. FireStorM

FireStorM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well i have come to the conclusion that all the extentions have same value ... .com is not more valuable then .net or .net is not more than .ws

If for example i am targetting a specific keyword , i will buy keyword.ws if only .ws is left .. i will not buy bestkeyword.com instead

FireStorM, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  10. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    i find it that it is the users that discriminate on the extensions, for example if I myself see a .ws extension id click on the .com

Seiya, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  11. jontra_volta

jontra_volta Peon

Best Answers:
    that's true, i always go for dot com before some other, but even i bought .cc because it was easier to remember belgrade. cc than for example belgradeinsideout. com (my previous address) in case i tell it to a person directly...
    only problem is that according to this answer search engines see it as less valuable than .com , but it's still not sure.

jontra_volta, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  12. NameWolf

NameWolf Guest

Best Answers:
    I was thinking about the same thing previously and missed out on some great .ws names because of that misconception.

NameWolf, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  13. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    .ws is good enough. Not good for branding perposes as most people dont remember it well, but for online linking and such will do the job.

guru-seo, Feb 10, 2006 IP
    Crazy_Zap likes this.