1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is writing articles and then selling them profitable?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Cuatrofb, Aug 1, 2008.

1. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Kiteguy. Try to determine first if the articles you want to write has a demand in the market. You can also write articles and try to look for publications, not only websites that may be interested in publishing your article.

The money you make from an article depends on how well you write, how interesting your article is and contacting the right person who would be willing to buy and publish it.

Good luck!

cd928, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  2. Internet Solutions

Internet Solutions Banned

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't waste my time with Associated Content. It's tedious, the pay is low, and I really don't see the point.

Internet Solutions, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  3. RACER

RACER Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know how profitable it is on a consistant basis, but I have seen people post pre-written original "bundled" articles, and they often get a healthy volume of response.

RACER, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  4. navi

navi Peon

Best Answers:
    Nobody buys a book because it's well written. They buy it because they are interested in the subject. Besides writing well you have to have a niche or expertise in something in order to be able to make it as a writer.

navi, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  5. articles.niches

articles.niches Banned

Best Answers:
    I have been thinking about doing this for a long time as well.
    Usually, I used to write articles for clients, on their specifications, but I soon realized that the job was giving me only the money, and no pleasure at all.
    Soon, even the money didn't seem to matter and at one point of time, I thought of quitting writing altogether.

But now, I write articles on subjects I have interest in, and any recent topics/happenings etc., and they sell like hot cakes!

The sole launch of iPhone made me quite a few $$.

articles.niches, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  6. ArticleScholar

ArticleScholar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.. there are two contrasting opinions, how can you agree on both sides? O_O

ArticleScholar, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are a number of writers who are writing a handful of articles on a given topic, building a "mini-site" around them and selling the site here on the forums. Sites on the right topic with truly original content can do quite well.

Seems like you could do much better than $6 an article and if the site doesn't sell, you can always throw some ads on it and make some money that way. You'll probably have to put ads on the site to prove it isn't banned from Adsense anyway.

YMC, Oct 1, 2008 IP
  8. webmarketjournal

webmarketjournal Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you explain what you mean? Who do you need to prove this to?

webmarketjournal, Oct 1, 2008 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many of the people who buy content sites will use Adsense and other revenue programs to monetize them. It's my understanding that if you break Google's terms of service both the site and the publisher account can be banned from the program. Many who buy sites would consider one that has been banned from Adsense as worthless, regardless of the quality of the content.

Putting ads on the site is the easiest way to prove to a potential buyer that the site has not been banned. It also shows the buyer if the ads are relevant and likely to be clicked by site visitors. Many buyers on DP simply will not bid on a site without ads.

YMC, Oct 1, 2008 IP
    Jenna Appleseed likes this.
  10. webmarketjournal

webmarketjournal Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, YMC...I thought that was what you meant, but wasn't sure if there were other reasons you were talking about.

webmarketjournal, Oct 1, 2008 IP
  11. SimonRiver1

SimonRiver1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's profitable. There's so much competition with PLR articles, I think I've seen a package with 1,000 articles for $10. That's ridiculously cheap and definitely not worth the time.

Instead just write your articles to generate traffic for your sites. Even if you only use adsense, you'll make way more than $10 per 1,000 articles.

SimonRiver1, Oct 1, 2008 IP
  12. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    if you are going to write articles use them to promote a business or product it will make you more money

"quoting the book rich dad" would you rather carry buckets of water to the village day after day making 100% profit but working slow or invest in a water pipline to the village to supply it on a huge scale?

selling your article will make short gain profits but writing them to promote can give you long term profits and free advertising.

Use them to promote your business or product

ErikJ, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  13. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    There are so many factors that go into deciding whether or not it is profitable to sell pre-written articles and while there are people who manage to turn a nice profit in doing so, there are just as many who will tell you that the real money is in writing custom articles for clients. The thing you need to ask yourself is what you feel the most comfortable doing. If you don't want to get stuck writing about topics you'd rather not write about, the pre-written article sale might be a better option for you, especially if your hope is to make it into periodicals. If, however, you prefer to let someone else tell you what to write, then you will be better off finding clients who are in need to content.

Remember, the true profit of your work comes from how well you market it and yourself!

snarke, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  14. expiringdomains

expiringdomains Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I would say a definitely YES, I just sold a pack of Ten Unique Articles (copyscape passed) written on Weight Loss for US$ 35.00

I have many more such articles on Acne, Diabetes, Pregnancy and Weight Loss and wold say it is as good as you spend time and the content you could manage to put in it.

expiringdomains, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  15. KornheisersCartel

KornheisersCartel Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree, I buy books by authors that I know are good writers...

KornheisersCartel, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  16. trvoy

trvoy Peon

Best Answers:
    That's good.
    I think it's a good idea for earning!

trvoy, Oct 3, 2008 IP
  17. articles.niches

articles.niches Banned

Best Answers:
    Are you giving an advice or marketting your services ??
    :D

articles.niches, Oct 4, 2008 IP
  18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $3.50 a piece for unique articles in one of the hottest and most profitable Adsense niches? Seems like you would do much better selling a mini site or using the articles on a site of your own. Assuming your articles are even halfway decent, you are really selling too low.

Do you really think your customers are only planning on making $35 from your work?

Too many of the low cost writers fail to recognize that the cheap article buyers are taking those pieces and making a great deal of money with them.

YMC, Oct 4, 2008 IP
  19. Loves Learning

Loves Learning Peon

Best Answers:
    It is true that using good articles to promote a business or product is the best way to make money with them. However this is a long term strategy as even if your first article leads to sales it will be weeks and possibly months before you get the cash in your bank account.

If you need cash now writing articles could be the way to go.

There s a rough calculation you might like to do which would give you a guide to whether writing article pack or writing for clients is the way to go.

How much could you consistently make for writing articles to order? How many of these articles can you write in an hour? What is your hourly rate? This will need to include research time.
    For example if I was writing articles to order, I believe that I could consistently make at least $0.2 per word. I could write 1-3, so lets say 2 articles per hour. Hourly rate (assuming 500 word articles) $20.

How much could you consistently make writing article packs? How many of these articles can you write in an hour? What is your hourly rate?
    For example – as I would know these subjects better and need a lot les time to research, learn and write subjects I already know about: I could make $0.01 per word, I could write 4-6, so lets say 5 articles per hour. Hourly rate (assuming 500 word articles) $25.

So for me – writing pack looks a lot better in terms of hourly rate. Please note, I am not thinking of writing beautifully crafted article that could sell to major magazines! I am talking about articles that would make good web content or be good for article marketing.

You must research where you could sell your writing, and what returns you could expect for the niches you can write for.

I hope that this is helpful – and good luck with your endeavours.

Loves Learning, Oct 11, 2008 IP
    Cuatrofb likes this.
  20. lissie

lissie Peon

Best Answers:
    0.015c / word is rubbish - Id expect around $15/500 words for an article check out constant content - they allow you to fix your own rate and I usually charge $35 there to allow for their commission! If you undervalue yourself so will everyone else - if you selling writing you are selling your time and that has to be at a decent price. BTW I am turning away work because I am too busy!

lissie, Oct 12, 2008 IP