1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is WritersMarket the Best Place to Write Informative/Educational Content?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by iElectrify, Dec 9, 2014.

Hello fellow copywriters :)

I've been going back and forth on joining WritersMarket to help find some good-paying, fill-in work that will help me improve my skills and hopefully get some additional exposure. It seems like the site is more for fiction writers and novelists rather than bloggers or content publishers, is that right?

Is anyone here a member who might be able to fill me in?

Thanks so much!
    Sherice

Solved! View solution.
    iElectrify, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    WritersMarket.com has nonfiction and fiction markets. It's more commonly used by magazine writers than bloggers though. And personally, I don't consider it the best resource out there (though, disclosure, I also run a writer's market directory -- a free one).

Instead of that, I'd look to media directories that PR people use. You'll find far more media outlets listed in them than what WM includes, and you'll have far less competition from other writers (too many rely on WM and the listings included there). Some are very expensive, though they easily pay for themselves with a gig or two. There are free options available too, though you might have to dig a bit more. For example, check your library. Some have online access to media directories like the one from Gale (newspapers, magazines, and even broadcast outlets that can use writers occasionally -- and most newspapers and mags these days have online versions you can pitch as well).

There's no harm in signing up for WM if you want to check it out. But if you want alternatives, here's a post listing some options including MondoTimes and the Internet Public Library: http://allindiewriters.com/quick-tip-use-media-directories-to-find-freelance-writing-clients/

If your interest is more blogs than traditional publications, consider browsing blog directories too, finding ones that accept outside contributors.

jhmattern, Dec 9, 2014 IP
    Alex Toll likes this.
  3. iElectrify

iElectrify Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much! I definitely have more experience with blog content/articles and website content than traditional magazine pieces, although I do write the occasional press release from time to time. The thing about most blog directories is that they're either out of date or the blog owners want to pay $1 an article. Are there any particular blog directories worth looking at?

iElectrify, Dec 9, 2014 IP
    I don't know of any blog directories that specialize in high-paying blogs. It's really a matter of specializing, getting to know the blogs in your specialty area, and building relationships. Some bloggers hire those they know or people who are referred to them without ever advertising that they're willing to pay bloggers. It's like any other kind of freelance market. Either you build your own visibility and reputation so clients can find you and come to you, or you have to dig in, do research, and pitch them directly.

I did compile a list earlier this year with 35 websites and blogs paying $100 or more per post. I don't want to come across as spamming by posting another link to my site, but if you visit the site I mentioned earlier and search there you can find it (plus those markets are in my market directory there). There are other sites that offer similar lists. BeAFreelanceBlogger.com from Sophie Lizard has one with blogs paying $50 or more I believe. Those kinds of lists are the closest you'll probably find to blog directories specializing in paid contributions.

jhmattern, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  5. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are a skilled writer and enjoy blogging, one way to generate income is to create a blog in a specific niche. Take the time to nurture and naturally grow the blog and social media accounts. Get noticed. People will find you and want to have their posts appear on your blog, want to purchase an ad spot etc. A blog is just another source of income. Grow social media accounts too. Not only can you find clients, you can generate income from social media accounts.

TextServices, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  6. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Sherice,
    You may want to give DotWriter.com a look. We hand select the very best of writers and provide them with recurring writing tasks for our managed services, so this looks like something you'd be interested into. Good writers would always get a fair chance at writing as much they can.

Best,
    Peter

goscript, Jan 6, 2015 IP