1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Wordpress best program for making websites these days?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Captainkirk91, May 1, 2017.

1. oday

oday Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi, the answer actually depend on what is the purpose of your site, if it just for blogging so WordPress is the best, if you wanna a e commerce of other full function website with a lot of coding on it you can't use it.

oday, Aug 4, 2017 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You failed to note Wikepedia.

And I bet @locals has NEVER donated to ANY cause because it is not "worthwhile" according to him. And I bet that at some time in the history of ALL of those sites you listed, that they were not "worthwhile" to donate to, although they "are worthwhile" to donate to today according to him.

He uses the "worthwhile" excuse to get off of the hook for donating to sites that do not seem worthwhile to him, YET NOW THAT THE SITES ARE WORTHWHILE BY HIS STANDARDS HE STILL DOES NOT DONATE TO THEM. Talk about a HYPOCRITE! And then people like him USE SITES like that for FREE and complain that they have bugs WHEN THOSE PEOPLE HAVE DONE NOTHING TO HELP FIX THE BUGS.

mmerlinn, Aug 4, 2017 IP
  3. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please explain your reasoning behind any of these statements you just made... Lol oh, you can't. Because they are all as shitty as your website

locals, Aug 5, 2017 IP
  4. badger_

badger_ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is simple if you just want to spit a bloated and broken website. You'll lose a lot of time updating and fixing it... if it was so easy there would not be so many search results asking how to fix problems with it.

I've used it during years and I recommend you to avoid it, as any other prebuilt CMS. I have tried tons, being Joomla! possibly the worst of them. I've replaced it for a custom made static site generator in PHP and plain text files, my site is fast, secure and accessible and now I can invest my time into making content instead of struggling with Wordpress.

badger_, Aug 5, 2017 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  5. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LoL nice try, the errors are related to plugins not WordPress

WordPress itself is actually rather flawless

locals, Aug 5, 2017 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Only further proving you have NO ***ing clue what you are talking about. The code it outputs out of the box by default is trash -- and that's the HTML alone. Pretty much every skin you see for it is inaccessible broken slow loading trash that tells large swaths of users to f*** off failing to meet even the most BASIC of WCAG minimums.

For anything more complex than a blog for grandma, Wordpress is out of the box one of the biggest slagheaps of ignorant halfwit GARBAGE out there!

It is about as far away from flawless as you are at having a clue.

deathshadow, Aug 5, 2017 IP
  7. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress could operate your site just fine if not better... and take a fraction of the time that it took you to "build" your site to setup

Once again, you are not attacking the core of WordPress, your statement once again is in regards to the default themes, which nobody uses... because they don't want their site to look like yours and @mmerlinns

locals, Aug 5, 2017 IP
  8. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So much crap in this thread.. He asked about wordpress and every "code geek" gave their two cents on the internal code....... So yes of course WordPress isn't programmed to the standard of many hardcore (or so they want you to believe) programming geeks... but reality is it does the job and it does it well. There has been high traffic blogging sites launched with WordPress and there has been high profit WordPress sites launched... regardless of whether or not you think you could program it better it doesn't matter. It has a great end user experience and it's simple to use. It may very well be the best blogging platform out there (even though it isn't the best written code).

With that said... and off topic but since it was brought up.... aside from being bloated (and pretty much unnoticeable by the visitor) there's nothing wrong with using Bootstrap, Jquery etc. A LOT of web sites big & small and poor & rich use these tools. And while some of the dorks here think the internet should jump in a time machine and go back to the days when web sites were black and white with bullets and headings these tools serve their purpose and enhance the viewing experience.

NetStar, Aug 5, 2017 IP
    locals likes this.
  9. badger_

badger_ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is far from a great user experience, specially if you mix it with jQuery and Bootstrap. There are lots of people that disable Javascript with Noscript, uMatrix and other programs for different reasons like security, removing annoyances and/or web loading speed. You should read these links: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/what-are-the-top-web-design-trends-in-2017.2810042/#post-19490842

In some countries like Spain there is a law about web accessibility. Do you know that Iberia was fined with 30.000 euro because their website was not accessible? https://www.efe.com/efe/espana/sociedad/sanidad-sanciona-a-iberia-con-30-000-euros-por-la-inaccesibilidad-de-su-web/10004-2678063

Programs like Wordpress are helping to make the web less useful.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    badger_, Aug 6, 2017 IP
    deathshadow and mmerlinn like this.
  10. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Except where I am, repeatedly... hence phrases like "out of box"

Except where I'm not, hence saying things like "pretty much every skin"

I've not seen a template for Wordpress I'd allow on a website from an accessibility or usability standpoint -- made all the worse by the fact that many sites SHOULD be fined or sued for failing to meet such norms.

See whatever dipshits made the mess I'm helping to clean up at a banking group right now, where they are now being fined $15K/day in the UK because some twaddle thought the banking front-end should have been slopped together with a mix of turdpress and angular.js -- Naturally providing no scripting off fallbacks, using illegible colour contrasts, scripting that when blocked breaks the ability to even SCROLL (kind of like some of your pages), what few links that were visible in the massive sea of pointless unrelated presentational images used as whitespace filler failing to actually do what the text said they should do (kind of like that domain site of yours)

Oh and as to your saying I'm only talking about the default template -- most templates use it as their starting point for adding appearance; if you knew the first damned thing about the underlying code you'd huffing know that -- and it's WHY so many templates for it are inaccessible broken trash.

... since if the product out of box can't even manage to have an accessible well written baseline for others to work from -- the EASIEST part of building a site -- how the *** is anyone supposed to trust that the back end is worth a flying purple fish?!?

deathshadow, Aug 6, 2017 IP
  11. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Which makes me think we have a different definition of the word "well" -- given I've NEVER seen a site built with it that didn't tell large swaths of visitors to go **** themselves. All it does is DELUDE people into THINKING they have a good website because its "so easy" on the back end -- but like most "false simplicty" that comes at the cost of a front-end that is utter and complete trash pissing on user-experience (again for visitors) and accessibility from so on high, you'd think the almighty just got back from a kegger!

... and a LOT of that is just exacerbated when mouth-breathing idiotic halfwit NONSENSE like:

To piss off users with non-graceful degrading sites, sites that take 30 seconds to two minutes to first-load and 15 seconds plus to render resulting in high bounce, failure to meet accessibility minimums, which is why EVERY time that type of asshattery gets used on any serious site that might be expected to actually meet minimums, simply using those tools can land you in court! Be it for fines from the government the site is deployed in, civil litigation from people who need access to your content but are denied it thanks to those tools, or as the developer who slopped that crap together in the first place.

No, that's just what you want to THINK we're saying. Not saying you can't have the fancy stuff, just don't crap on user-experience and make the site less useful by doing so! It's not rocket science.

Semantic markup -- aka use HTML to say what things ARE, NOT what you want them to look like so that non-visual users and user-agents have something to work with. [o](it's extremely difficult to convince turdpress to even do this -- even if you get the skin to do it, the content just goes to shit thanks to the internal "easier' editor)[/i]

CSS to say what you want things to look like with an accessible elastic semi-fluid responsive layout. That means EM for fonts, EM for most measurements, EM for queries not related to images, a max-width on flow content to prevent long lines from becoming unwieldy. It means legible colour contrasts that meet the guidelines for that. It means avoiding serif fonts, thin-glyph fonts, and excessively narrow fonts on screen media.

JavaScript to ENHANCE the page in a manner that gracefully degrades so that every important task the user wants to do can be done without scripting. It's NOT actually that hard to do it's just too many halfwits dive for rubbish like jQuery before they even know enough about HTML or accessibility to even be ADDING scripttardery to their bloody sites!

Progressive enhancement so the page gracefully degrades and remains accessible to ALL users, not just the magical fantasy land of everyone being 20/20 vision on a desktop computer connected to a 10gpbs fiber on the same backbone as the hosting.

I've NEVER seen a turdpress based site accomplish that. It's a cute toy for personal sites for people who can't be bothered to do even the simplest of things correctly out of ignorance and apathy. It most certainly shouldn't be used for anything business related.

ADMITTEDLY I specialize in bailing out companies and organizations who get ROYALLY SCREWED by all these technologies I mention, either for AGAIN being dragged through the legal system for the shortcomings, or simply having their site be a money-pit thanks to over the top hosting costs and painfully high bounce rates with low conversions. When I encounter these technologies "in the wild" it is at their worst in terms of shoddy methodologies and half-assed implementations.

Which is a shame in a lot of cases as often their layout concepts are salvageable, it's just the implementation that's killing them.... But then there are the sites that have nothing on screen but a stock placeholder image unrelated to their project, an illegible menu due to the background image being too close to the text colour, and one giant link saying "Learn More" as the only content, that instead of taking you to text where you learn more, it scripttard scrolls down to the price/product features without explaining a damned thing... at which point why not instead of wasting an entire screen on a single "learn more" link, just show the damned price list?

NOT that I'm referring to any particular site -- not at all.

kk5st likes this.
  12. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow it's clear you do not keep up with the times. You are still living in 1990 with your programming habits. You would be unemployable. I've follow your postings for years.. your views on how things should be done force you to reinvent the wheel and extend developing time by 10-15 times. You can offer some great valuable information here but half the time you are going off on offtopic rants that are irrelevant to the original posters question. Sometimes you have to take your personal feelings and opinion and put it aside. Frameworks, Bootstrap, Jquery... these are all tools that make development faster and enhance the visitors viewing experience. I couldn't careless how many superior programmers come along and voice their opinion on how these items are poorly designed. The truth is for most web sites (big and small) the performance difference goes unnoticed for the visitor. And they don't care that you used some sort of framework that deathshadow and some other geek thinks is poorly designed. There are a TON of companies out there using these tools and are able to financially benefit from them. If I can get a project up and running to make profit in 4 weeks using Bootstrap and Laravel I'm going to do that everytime instead of spending 5 months focusing on creating what is already created. You're mentality will leave you unemployable.

NetStar, Aug 6, 2017 IP
    locals likes this.
  13. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow You say it's such a bad program because people can do this and that to it, however when you tried to do this and that to my website you failed LOL and got locked out

locals, Aug 6, 2017 IP
  14. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL you are referencing the hooks that must be used in all templates - you sir are a turd, not wordpress

locals, Aug 6, 2017 IP
  15. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Here is PROOF that @locals has NO clue how to make a WORKING webpage:

Shitpage4.JPG Shitpage3.JPG Shitpage2.JPG Shitpage1.JPG As we can all see, his site is TRASH! Content on TOP of other content? Wow. Trash. Illegible text. Wow. Trash. Clipped images. Wow. Trash.

How about his contact us page?
    Shitpage5.JPG
    Proof positive that TURDPRESS is really a TURD!

mmerlinn, Aug 6, 2017 IP
  16. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LMMuthafuckinAO

YOU DONKEY... What kind of operating system were you viewing that on??

OH WAIT here's all your information

WINXP RELEASED IN 2001 and FIREFOX 3.6 RELEASE DATES OUTDATED AS OF 2014

GTFOH YOU CORNBALL

YOU ARE A PATHETIC INDIVIDUAL LMMUTHAFUCKINAO - just look at your site with a current version, an old version... any version, your site is shit!

Also, as you can see in your last image where you forgot to skew the size of my website, everything works fine... including the menu bar and navigation LOL proof once again you are a pathetic excuse for a human being.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    locals, Aug 6, 2017 IP
  17. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Not my fault you are internet-challenged. My site WORKS on EVERY platform I have tried. YOURS DOES NOT! By that yardstick ALONE, my site is BETTER than yours. Since mine is FASTER than yours, mine is ALSO BETTER than yours using that yardstick. I can't prove it, but I bet my site is also more SEO friendly and does better in the SERPs than yours. Laugh all you want, but my site gives me a good HONEST living while yours APPEARS to be based on LIES and DECEIT.

Sooner or later I will find a platform my site will not work on, but by then I probably won't care as I will either be dead or retired. It has paid my bills for decades and continues to do so REGARDLESS of your high opinion of the site. I see NO point in fixing what is NOT broken.

I have seen way too many PROSPEROUS companies (internet & brick and mortar) fix what is not broken, then go bankrupt. My biggest worldwide competitor with over 20 storefronts worldwide is one of the latest to walk away with NOTHING after 40 years in business. I DO NOT PLAN TO JOIN THEM.

At the rate you are going, more likely sooner than later, you will join those that had no clue and lost everything. Worst part is that you will blame OTHERS instead of yourself for YOUR failures.

Finally, I never skewed ANYTHING. I did print screen, then cropped to fit the paint program. You see EXACTLY what I saw - Total trash.

When people show me an error on my site, I FIX THE PROBLEM, I don't blame the USER. You blame EVERYONE and EVERYTHING except YOURSELF. Aren't you a little old to be AVOIDING RESPONSIBILITY for your OWN actions? Or am I wrong and you are still living at home letting your parents take responsibility for your actions?

mmerlinn, Aug 6, 2017 IP
  18. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you're referring to, since the most complex thing I've tried to do to your site is see if /login was public facing on http, and do a normal site evaluation with the networking tab of Firefox's in-build developer tools. The former was a laugh "yeah, it's there", the latter found that for some reason your site is returning "not available" non status codes on images making FF unable to give me a TOTAL site size -- so all I can see is the HTML, CSS, and Scripting. (that's probably just hotlink protection breaking the developer tool -- which IS a smart move... or would be if you had static assets worth protecting instead of stock photos unrelated to your content)

Oh, and @mmerlin isn't skewing shit; I see the same broken shit here in Vivaldi on Win10. You have content that breaks the layout forcing it to wider than the viewport width, meaning any responsive code is either broken or not working. Given that it is slopped together with inaccessible PIXEL based metrics -- a hallmark of developer ineptitude and incompetance -- OF COURSE it breaks like that.

... and if you're going to blame his using WinXP, then you need a wakeup call or just don't deal with mainstream America enough, PARTICULARLY when it comes to businesses. XP is still around 6% of the market -- that's three times linux deskop penetration, double the number of desktop MacOS users.

Of course if your site wasn't shitting out megabytes of code to not even do 100k's job, EVEN WITHOUT changing what it looks like or what it does -- it would probably be a lot less fragile than the hack upon hack upon hack of off the shelf solutions you've piled to the ceiling like a full torso vaporous apparition. More so if it had it been designed with even the SLIGHTEST awareness of the web content accessibility guidelines.

But since you likely don't even know what's wrong with #FFF over #89B, we might as well be talking Greek to you. Here's a tip:
    http://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

Plug in the approximate background colour of your pointless bandwidth wasting stock blue image as the background (#8899BB is 'close enough') and your white text colour as foreground, and look at that... FAIL/FAIL/FAIL/FAIL. Does not meet WCAG accessibility minimums. If you did that for a REAL business, you'd end up in court!!!

Seriously, if your site colours cannot even pass WCAG 2.0 AA "Large", you have NO business telling other people their sites are "ugly" since yours is USELESS to large swaths of users! Even your logo doesn't pass accessibility norms. /FAIL/ hard.

Of course if you think either of these looks "dated" or "like crap":
    http://www.elementalsjs.com/
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/

I hate to hear what you think of facebook, google plus, google drive, androids ENTIRE UI standard - Which are all pretty much the same general concept... though Facepuke does tell a LOT of users to go screw themselves with px fonts and a fragile layout that goes bits-up face-down when zoomed. Hell I'm a little shocked you can stomach these forums. (though admittedly, I have to neuter the **** out of the scripting with tampermonkey and override a lot of style with stylish to even APPROACH making this mess usable)

Seriously, if you can take your broken inaccessible illegible slow loading (again minute and a half+ here) rubbish site seriously, and call either of those ugly, you're just delusional or intentionally trolling... I suspect the former as every one of your statements CLEARLY shows you don't know the first damned thing about websites!

19. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    blah blah blah... my site works great for 96% of desktop users and ALL CELL PHONES/TABLETS/ and MOBILE DEVICES.

mean while some peoples site looks like an excel file that was created for the halloween business party of '89 or built on dreamweaver... you figure out which site yours is of the two

Also, I never said I built that theme, LMAO you guys act like I am the developer of that theme... Just like I said in the past, I chose that theme because I felt that it looked GREAT on all the devices I have ever checked it on... however I do not go back to archaic times to see what people that have no clue of current trends are doing

Once again, going to back the ORIGINAL POSTERS QUESTION - I wrote that I believed wordpress IS THE BEST OPTION for making websites these days, because... I was like you at one point, when WORDPRESS DID SUCK BALLS, however, it has come along way and I would not use anything else... PERIOD

I would not hire you to create something for 15K when I can download and install wordpress and then find a plugin i like and tweak it...

then check it on CURRENT operating platforms... the end get over it, wordpress is better than you, they have more people and better people than you working on it each and every day.

locals, Aug 6, 2017 IP
  20. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Other than nnGroup articles, court cases involving accessibility failures, specification changes, and usability studies...

Other that the fact that not even counting the size of the frameworks against the framework based solutions, I'm STILL writing 1/3rd the markup and a fraction the CSS and JavaScript. How ANYONE can claim forcing themselves to write 60k of HTML to do 15k's job was 'easier', or 'faster', or 'reduced development time' is simply beyond my comprehension. It's bullshit pure and simple! When it's a slow loading inaccessible broken steaming pile, that's NOT "enhancing the vistiors experience' by a long shot. It's telling large swaths of visitors -- in no uncertain terms -- to go **** themselves.

I've dealt time and time again with clients who have been utterly and completely SCREWED by these technologies to the point the entire sites had to be thrown away to either approach financial viability, or simply fix it so they don't keep getting dragged before the magistrate. The ignorance of accessibility norms, over-reliance on off the shelf technologies they barely know enough to implement much less have a valid opinion of the worth of, etc, etc... it just keeps resulting in businesses making the same mistakes over and over again.

Except that it completely is -- again I suspect you live in one of those magical fantasy lands where bandwidth caps, crappy connections, and nobody being able to afford a new phone every three months are basically unheard of. You'll hear it time and time again "well it's fast here for me" -- well lah-dee-huffing-dah for YOU! Doesn't mean jack **** if it doesn't play in Peoria.. We have NUMBERS that can be used to say yay or nay on the speed of a site, REGARDLESS of how fast it is for YOU or ME personally. File counts, file sizes... counts in particular being why techniques like CSS 'sprites' even exist and why "hey look there's 20 scripts included in the document" is nothing more than developer incompetence telling visitors to **** off!

Which is why multi-megabyte shit-storms vomited up by slopping frameworks together end up a bounce for many visitors -- like myself -- before they even finish LOADING -- and ALLEGEDLY I have a 45mbps connection. (though since it went from Time Warner to the even sleazier dirtbags at Spectrum... hello half second latency per direction!). Most of my neighbors would probably close the tab/window before there was even an indication many of these sites actually even EXIST.

Again though, ADMITTEDLY I live in a county where 3g coverage is "they claim it exists, yeah right" and 4g is "what's that then?!?"... being restricted to GSM frequencies only can colour your view.

Actually it gives me a steady and good audience, dragging me out of retirement as one of the few people TRUSTED to fix situations created by people with your mentality. Nobody gives it a second thought until they get served by the courts.

BULLSHIT... either that or we have WIDELY divergent hardware norms and connections; or are talking about two entirely different sites entirely. Your typical mid-range android phone your site is going to chew 5% of the battery just trying to load the damned thing -- much less the batshit memory footprint. Christmas on a cracker loading your site in Vivaldi or Chrome makes the fan for the i7 in my laptop come on... something that on said unit (MSI Ge70) only otherwise happens if gaming or running a stress test like Prime95!

ASSUMING anyone is willing to wait around with their thumb up their arse the minute PLUS it takes to load cache-empty. (which on any phone with a gig or less RAM is typically the default state... not like you want to burn out the flash putting cache there and not like mobile OS actually release memory all that freely from running apps)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    mmerlinn likes this.