1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Wordpress best program for making websites these days?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Captainkirk91, May 1, 2017.

Hey guys quick question. I have noticed a lot of sites are going with wordpress actually a ton these days. I really like how it looks and how simple it is. Are there programs out there that are better than wordpress?? or is wordpress the way to go.

Captainkirk91, May 1, 2017 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Turdpress, Bootcrap, jQueery, and all the rest of the crap out there is burying the web in a pile of bloated garbage. If you don't believe me, try validating ANY site made with ANY CMS and look at the errors being propagated across the net. Typically, those programs crap out page code often TEN times larger than needed. That all costs bandwidth (MONEY) for anyone viewing those pages. ANYONE using them is STEALING from the user.

And contrary to popular belief, they are NOT easier to use. Yes, they will easily spit out a page with tons of errors. Then you spend the rest of your life fixing the fixes of the fixes of fixed errors, which turns into a never ending job, sucking more money from the builder of the site.

Better to learn to use your favorite text editor and DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME so you can forget about it and go on to the next project. Yes, there is an upfront learning curve, but the result is that you NEVER need to fix any errors time after time after time. And you NEVER need to spend all of the rest of your life swatting bugs, like you need to do with Turdpress, et alia.

One of the best people here to learn from, assuming you do NOT have a thin skin, is @deathshadow. Visit his website to learn how to code without tearing your hair out. He has probably forgotten more than 99% of DPers will ever learn. And when you need help, ask him. He WILL tell you what is wrong in VERY COLORFUL IN-YOUR-FACE language. Just do not take it personally - learn from him.

mmerlinn, May 1, 2017 IP
    JEET, MrKing01 and PoPSiCLe like this.
  3. Shivani Shrivastav

Shivani Shrivastav Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Rather than writing a lengthy reply here, I'll just keep it short with bullet points

I hope these points will help you to decide whether to go for WordPress or not.
    1. It is free of cost - You don't have to splurge money on WordPress.
    2. Plugins - WordPress has got thousands of plugins ranging from google analytics to SEO to social media and what not. This helps even the person who has no knowledge of coding help to create magnificent websites on their own
    3. Templates - WordPress has got plenty of templates to choose from. They can be free of cost or have a price attached to it.
    4. A little bit of coding requirement - WordPress though requires no coder to make a website, but sometimes it requires PHP and MySQL coding. But don't worry, you've got google to help you out (All you've got to do is, google your requirement. There are tons of websites to learn basic coding from)
    5. Content Management System (CMS) - With WordPress built-in CMS software, you can manage your content very easily.
    6. SEO friendly - Most important, WordPress is SEO friendly. Hence, you see a lot of people using WordPress
    7. Blog - Creating your own blog on WordPress and connecting it to your website is simple.
    8. Community Development - With WordPress having a big community worldwide, you get to connect with bloggers in your niche easily. Your reach starts growing.

Personally, WordPress is simple to use and I have made a lot of websites using WordPress.

Shivani Shrivastav, May 1, 2017 IP
  4. Tabassum - m

Tabassum - m Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, It is because this CMS will ensure any SEO or technological update automatically with the plugin updates.
    One more reason would be that Yoast SEO, as it ease webmasters to optimise website effectively and quickly.

Tabassum - m, May 2, 2017 IP
  5. Rokis

Rokis Member

Best Answers:
    It's a best way to make a mess but not a properly working website. Period.

Rokis, May 2, 2017 IP
    JEET, deathshadow and mmerlinn like this.
  6. Salmanahmad

Salmanahmad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i think wordpress not good

Salmanahmad, May 3, 2017 IP
  7. machinist_911

machinist_911 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think WordPress has been a revolution for Internet Users enabling them to create a website without any prior knowledge of coding skills.
    Overall, a lot of good has been done to overall Internet Community with WordPress.

machinist_911, May 3, 2017 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You need to decide what you mean. Because the first statement cancels out the last one, and vice versa.

PoPSiCLe, May 4, 2017 IP
    JEET likes this.
  9. machinist_911

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How come? I just want to say that WordPress has brought Internet in the reach of many people.

machinist_911, May 4, 2017 IP
  10. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wordpress is pretty good choice as you get lots of help to learn , secure and use wordpress.
    Its pretty simple than most of the CMS , its free and been well developed from many years.

webhost.uk.net, May 4, 2017 IP
  11. GameO.Over

GameO.Over Active Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress gives the misconception that anyone without any coding/technical knowledge can build a website. I guess in some cases it's true.. You can buy any old £3 cPanel package, install WordPress with 1 click, install plugins and themes with a few other clicks.

However, this is just the tip of the iceberg.. if the site is not properly maintained it WILL get hacked. I have major concerns with installing plugins without fully understanding what it does, where it came from and how well it is coded. WP out of box is rubbish for SEO and can become slow incredibly fast.

I think WP is great for agencies and devs - they can quickly build CMS based sites for their clients, but it's the devs and agencies that should be maintaining the sites.

I don't like WPs design, in terms of coding and database design.

Everyone thinks WP is the answer to everything, it's not, not even close.. most people could live with static sites.

GameO.Over, May 5, 2017 IP
    JEET, kk5st, mmerlinn and 1 other person like this.
  12. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Correct. Some of us does not think that is such a good thing. This is a little like "semptember", many many yeas ago, when AOL-users got "free reign", and started the pollution of what we now recognize as the WWW.

PoPSiCLe, May 5, 2017 IP
  13. machinist_911

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think it's a matter of perspective. Good for some and not so good for me others. Nonetheless, we all have to agree that WordPress is indeed a major force.
    The other thing that works in its favour is the Open Source License making it free to use. Many many businesses (including mine) have revolved around this fact.

machinist_911, May 6, 2017 IP
  14. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Even blogging (WP's design purpose) can be easily done in a static site with your text editor. An E-commerce site will almost certainly benefit from a purpose built mid tier and database, but WP and its modules and themes get gawd-awful huge and vulnerable in a gawd-awful hurry.

gary

kk5st, May 6, 2017 IP
  15. Michael Amaral

Michael Amaral Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Most website creators using WordPress today run basic sites, those with static pages, a blog or news section, some sort of custom content, and a variety of common features like slideshows, contact forms, and more.
    WordPress plug-ins handle those features with no problems. It has the ability to create custom content and assign them your own fields and options. This helps when your content doesn’t fit into the default title and content options that WordPress offers for blog posts and static pages. Unless your theme comes with custom content by default, you will have to activate a few plug-ins and do some template coding to include custom content on your WordPress site.

Michael Amaral, May 29, 2017 IP
  16. hoadongtien

hoadongtien Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is not the only choice. If you do not know anything about coding or css, and want to simplify web building, you can opt for All-in-One Platforms. With All-in-One Platforms, you just drag and drop can build your website quickly. The cost is not much higher than using wordpress.

hoadongtien, May 29, 2017 IP
  17. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These people are looking at only one side of the coin. Wordpress is a good place to begin with, though they are bloated with unnecessary functions, their codes are up to date and some are highly advanced. Their database is highly flexible.

Don't let people influence your vision. I still keep learning several new things from Wordpress.

How comes a HTML request does all this.
    Can any one explain? Isn't that depends on how you write your code?

ketting00, Jun 1, 2017 IP
  18. gallitin

gallitin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends on what your trying to build. A blog? A static few page website? A fully custom web application? If so how complex?

Need more information before giving a good recommendation.

gallitin, Jun 2, 2017 IP
  19. BooTCaT

BooTCaT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have built some websites and run them for years with just wordpress and customizing it with plugins, themes and custom code.
    For a low traffic website, it almost has all features and worth investing.

BooTCaT, Jun 6, 2017 IP
  20. MrKing01

MrKing01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The only time that I would recommend anybody to use Wordpress is if the person in question has a tight time schedule and needs a website quickly. Otherwise I would recommend the person to invest some time on html and build a website from scratch. The main benefit with Wordpress is that it's easy to use. There are numerous templates to choose from and it's hard not to find a template suitable for your niche. If you run a restaurant you will certainly find a restaurant template that suits you. If you run a dental clinic you will also certainly find a dental template that suits you. Wordpress could also be advantageous because you don't have to be a coder to make a website.

But there are downsides. You should take into account what @mmerlinn is saying. You will encounter tons of errors. It will be like a vicious circle where you will chase one error after another. Also a website on Wordpress that is not properly maintained (a newbie will not even know the basics on how to maintain a site), is at risk of being hacked.

MrKing01, Jul 30, 2017 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.