1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Wookie a copyrighted word?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by sabian1982, Jan 5, 2007.

Ive come up with a wicked domain name for a product/service im looking to launch in the future... the last part of the domain uses the word Wookie (a cool sounding word i got from StarWars).

The site has nothing to do with StarWars or Wookiee and according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wookiee the correct spelling is Wookiee (with 2 e's).

Presumably there are no legal implecations of me using the word in my domain name as it is not the same spelling and the content of the site relates in no shape or form to StarWars?

sabian1982, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  2. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Presumably. :)

There are plenty of decisions, especially UDRPs, for domain names that differ
    from the trademark by just one character. The one below is an example:

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2005/d2005-0681.html

There was a dissenting opinion in that one. But it didn't change the outcome.

And things aren't made any easier by your revealing where you got the idea
    from. ;)

I don't know if there's anyone who's in the process of establishing trademark
    rights to the term in the UK. But a quick check at the USPTO shows there is.

Dave Zan, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  3. slipxaway

slipxaway Active Member

Best Answers:
    But in the case you cite there can be an easy correlation established between TM and products being offered on the infringing site. In the Wookie case, I dont think it has so much to do with the mispelling as it does usage, because if it is in no way related to Star Wars, then it SHOULD be fine. You never know what crazy thing George Lucas is going to do next though :) Hopefully he won't be making any more crappy movies. (I'm a big fan of the classic Star Wars btw).

slipxaway, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  4. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks - thats a bit more what i was looking for. As i see it, its not the same spelling, it in no way relates, if it was trade marked it would trademarked as Wookiee not Wookie, so i don't see why it would be an issue. Anyways ill still take on board what others say.

sabian1982, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  5. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I looked at USPTO.gov and Wookiee is trademark Lucasfilms LTD.

I'd go there and read that to see what all it covers.

As an aside, I looked up Wookies, and there's a trademark for a company that makes nuts. So, if your usage isn't covered in their trademark and you are not using any references (implied or otherwise) to the trademarked name, you should be in the clear.

Dropping the last E won't exempt you from legal issues though.

As always, find a good intellectual property lawyer. While you are in the UK, a trademark dispute can still cancel your domain.

Oh and as to the crappy SW movies, I'm a fan too and of the last 3, I enjoyed the last one. I thought SW I was so so and I actually fell asleep the first time I watched SW II. :)

marketjunction, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  6. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    Here's a potential problem, though: wookiee is a made-up word. Such words
    stand the best chance of being afforded trademark protection, especially if it's
    very famous.

Wookiee probably isn't as famous as kodak or xerox. But it's still unique in its
    own right, especially since it's referring to a "famous" Star Wars character.

(On the side, I hated that Star Wars novel where Chewbacca was killed.)

You'd have to be very very lucky to be able to develop the word you intended
    into its own brand in its own right without hearing from George. I've read of a
    few people getting letters from him.

Among the 1st and 2nd of their respective trilogies, I liked the 3rd the most of
    each one. :D

Dave Zan, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  7. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    Not to get off on a Star Wars rant here, but I want to see what happens after Return of the Jedi.

I could have done without the before. It was nice, but I really want the last 3.

8. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure I read a while ago that George Lucas has written or is in the process of writing another 3 sequels. Also, I guess there's going to be a Star Wars TV show coming out in '09, my graduation year!

Austars, Jan 5, 2007 IP
  9. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    I heard that the last 3 were written before. They are actually locked in a safe somewhere.

I hope that greedy SoB doesn't die before they get made. I remember hearing Fox or someone offered him a bunch of cash to do them, but he wanted to wait until later on.

10. sabian1982

Best Answers:
    Hmmm i definately need to do a bit of research then as this project/business that im looking to start in the future, which has the word 'wookie' in the title could potentially be very popular and make quite a bit of money... why are things never simple :p

sabian1982, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  11. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    bochgoch, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  12. sabian1982

Best Answers:
    Hmm so for me to put another word infront of wookie (eg. housewookie.com) that might be acceptable as it has nothing to do with Starwars, George, etc... although i will still need to look into it before going any further...

sabian1982, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  13. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    Just because some other site is "getting away with it," doesn't mean you will. For all you know, there's some agreement going on.

Let's see if that site stay online after LucasFilms LTD is notified of its existence. :)

While they dropped the last E, they are profiting off the Star Wars brand and profiting from misspellings of Wookiee.

marketjunction, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  14. sabian1982

Best Answers:
    Does anyone have Georges email address? perhaps i could email him, im sure he has a bit more free time to answer emails what with him having completed the Starwars films...

sabian1982, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  15. chamatkaribaba

chamatkaribaba Peon

Best Answers:
    In word, there is no question of Copyright. As a matter of de minimis copyright will not be granted on them but these small words will have trademarks over these if they are in commercial use. U can use this word for another type of business like not in movie but say garments and that does not infringement trademarks.

chamatkaribaba, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  16. sabian1982

Best Answers:
    The usage for the domain and the meaning of the domain for which the word wookie will be used will have absolutely no connection to Starwars what so ever... the content isnt even remotely connected!

sabian1982, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  17. chamatkaribaba

chamatkaribaba Peon

Best Answers:
    Good then i guess u need not be in any panic, Best of luck.

chamatkaribaba, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  18. sabian1982

Best Answers:
    Right - well thanks to everyone who gave an opinion... i've bought the domain(s) for my site...

http://www.jobwookie.co.uk + .com with a redirect :D

sabian1982, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  19. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    LOL! Good luck with the site, then. :)

Dave Zan, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  20. sabian1982

Best Answers:
    Ok, what sort of laughing was that? mocking laughing indicating you think im a fool for starting a site callled jobwookie... or because i made the decision to go ahead??? :p

sabian1982, Jan 19, 2007 IP