1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is vBulletin Really the Best forum script?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Professional Dude, Jul 27, 2009.

1. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't exist. No such thing for any forum software.

I used VB and don't recommend it. You can get the same results from a free forum. You'll end up asking the same questions and you can make the same forum seo adjustments no matter what forum software you use.

My MYBB forum has 1 million posts with plenty of pages indexed. Don't believe the VB hype.

What's your biggest forum? The ones in your sig don't appear to be doing that well.

To OP: Never listen to anyone that doesn't have success under their belt. Most people talk out of their butts.

RectangleMan, Aug 6, 2009 IP
    Professional Dude likes this.
  2. andyba

andyba Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you compare vBulletin with phpbb3 here is what vBulletin has and phpbb3 doesn't:

WYSIWYG Editor
    TrashBin Forum
    Rating/Karma System

Almost all of these features can be installed on phpbb3 via mods.

andyba, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think that bretthexum pretty much covers that...

The key being HOPE, lol. vB pretty much sold out, it's now up in the air whether or not they will continue to be a leader in the industry or just BLOAT the ever-living-use outta their software.

Qryztufre, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  4. d3wlin

d3wlin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can recommend Vanilla forum software, its very simple and clean. It greatly suits forums where targeted auditory is not that tech-savvy and needs some simple solution. Vanilla powers few such forums I started recently, Anti-cellulite Forum & Diet Forums, for example. Seems that Google loves Vanilla as well, as it has valid and semantically correct code.

d3wlin, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  5. abdobasha2004

abdobasha2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not at all
    you need a sitemap
    valid with no errors

abdobasha2004, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  6. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    "Best script" is subjective. However I can talk about my experience with other forum scripts before I finally made the switch to vBulletin.

This forum was originally in phpBB2 when it first started out in 2002. Even though it had good PR, it still ranked poorly in the SERPs and most of the post URLs were not indexed. Plus, we had problem with spambots which almost always managed to post their crap in the threads. Then I found out about SMF, so the forum was switched to that. It performed a little better in the sense that spambots were greatly reduced, but the forum still faced the issue of bad SERP rankings and poor indexing in Google.

In mid-July, I finally made the official switch to vBulletin and vBSEO after I got both for a bargain price here on DP. The effect was tremendous. The forum posts were getting indexed and search engine spiders visit the forum almost every single day. Registrations of real users have increased as well. There is the issue of spam bot users, but it is minor and still under control.

vBulletin really does what others claim that it can do. I am very satisfied with it, although I admit that the price is on the expensive side, its really something that no forum owner should go without. Should I want to start a forum, I would probably start off with an open-source forum script first, and then eventually switch to vBulletin at a later stage once the forum picks up the pace.

Ibn Juferi, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  7. netlayer

netlayer Peon

Best Answers:
    I love the concept of being indexed through this forum, but how do you get indexed or use keywords in getting indexed?

Does blogger have a quality, let alone have a sitemap that google and other sites can use?

netlayer, Sep 11, 2009 IP
  8. wallace0205

wallace0205 Peon

Best Answers:
    i would not say Vbulletin is the best, but at least it's the most powerful forum software right now.

wallace0205, Sep 11, 2009 IP
  9. policywala

policywala Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am using it and seen it on very big boards. Its very easy and customer support is best. So I would say best.

policywala, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  10. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have just started using vBulletin for my football forum, I used PHPbb for the first few weeks. I like vBulletin mainly because of the add-ons. If you are aiming to run a small forum, go for a free script.

Brian1970, Sep 30, 2009 IP