1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Vbulletin $160 better than phpBB?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Roze, May 21, 2005.

1. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry - I cant trust a software platform that is hacked often, the company's SERVER gets hacked, and when I go to their website, they have a bunch of red 'x's -- (saw this a few weeks ago when I went to look)

Everything surrounding PHPbb screams "We Dont Have A Clue!!"

I havent seen PHPbb 3.0, so I cant comment on that, but they need to work on their image IMO.

joeychgo, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'll have to disagree with you, Joey.

Again, to my mind it's just not a "better or worse" thing. It's a matter of preference. If you buy a Lincoln and I buy a Jeep, is your vehicle better or worse than mine? It's neither, of course -- it depends on personal preferences and driving habits.

I will admit that I'm considering switching one of my forums to vBulletin. But that won't be because of security or "don't have a clue" issues -- it will be because I'm starting to like one or two features of vBulletin and, at least for one of the forums, I think it might suit my needs better.

minstrel, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Wait until you see the backend AdminCP (if you haven't seen it in vB before), you will switch all your forums. :)

To be honest, besides price, I'm not sure what the advantage(s)of phpBB are. In truth, I had setup phpBB before vBulletin because phpBB was free, and on the surface, the differences didn't look like that much (it was before vBulletin 3). I ended up going with vBulletin when 3.0 came out though, and after seeing the backend at that point, I was kicking myself for not using it sooner.

For phpBB administrators that have never administrated a vBulletin forum, I would definitely recommend you do the admin demo, because the best parts about vBulletin are stuff end users can't see:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

digitalpoint, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  4. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Amen to that. Forums are about community, not which forum software powers them. And forum admins have much more to share with each other than debating which software product is "the best".

DigitalPoint would still be DigitalPoint even if it was running on phpBB. It's the people, people.

The Sandman, Jun 17, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that URL, Shawn... that's actually very useful. I'll explore it at greater length this weekend.

6. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Just write the damn check.

noppid, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    LMAO!

I don't like making snap decisions unless I have too (and I already have to make too many of those). :D

Besides, my next step was to hit you up for the purchase price :eek: