1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is using "my-space bulletin" agains Google Adsense tos?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by ST12, Jul 20, 2006.

Is using "my-space bulletin" agains Google Adsense tos?
    Thanks,
    st12

ST12, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  2. shenron

shenron Notable Member

Best Answers:
    AFAIK yes, and you can get banned for it. ;)

shenron, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  3. FIVE539

FIVE539 Peon

Best Answers:
    not that I know of

FIVE539, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  4. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do so at your own peril.

jackburton2006, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  5. shenron

shenron Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, yes, you're right, it's not against TOS, at least not written there, but as Jack said, you're on your own.

shenron, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  6. Endurer

Endurer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What exactly is my-space bulletin? I apologize for my ignorance.

Endurer, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  7. whitespider

whitespider Peon

Best Answers:
    In essence no its not (specifically) but you are not allowed to artificially inflate impressions or ask people to click your ads.

As that is what many people DO who use this method then it will (indirectly) be against TOS.

One previous poster (different thread) admitted sending a bulletin to over 200,000 people. If you send to that many using the "whoring" system and ask people to click your ads then there is a pretty high chance that at least 1 person will be an adwords advertiser who may report it.

whitespider, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  8. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Or an Adsense publisher could do the reporting. You wouldn't even have to ask anyone to click, as sending out 200,000 bulletins easily qualifies as spam.

9. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    True.. I think the key difference here is that there doesn't seem to be any real problem with sending a bulletin out to a number of people you expect to visit your site that isn't disproportionately out of line with traffic you'd normally receive, as well simply telling the people about the site, not asking them to click.

Say you normally get 1k uniques a day, but then send your bulletin out to 100k people, and expect a 10% return on that... so all of a sudden, your traffic jumps from 1k to 10k uniques, Google says hmm, and pulls the stop on your account. Add to that anything about "support this site by visiting our sponsors", and yep you've got a TOS violation there.

On the other hand, say you normally get 1k uniques a day, and send a bulletin out to a reasonable number of people expecting a 10% return...saying just "Hey, I just updated my site, come check out the new stuff on it" (without mention to click on ads sponsors or such). In this case, all that happens is that your traffic may jump by a bit, and all you've done is some basic advertising without violating the TOS.

I think the defining factor here is to be reasonable in advertising and not spam, or anything that could be loosely constructed as spam. Notifying a bunch of friends you've talked to and have interest in your site isn't spam; blasting a bulletin to 200,000 people you'll never talk to is.

At least, this is how I see it so far; I'm definitely open to correction or other interpretation from the TOS.

Telmari, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  10. whitespider

whitespider Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats a good point uncle

I'd sack the new make up girl though

whitespider, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  11. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    According the the adsense team, it is against the TOS...

Me:
    Adsense Team:
    Now, im my opinion, myspace bulletins aren't "unsolicited emails" or "unwanted advertisements", as people essentially opt-in when they become a myspace friend. But, nevertheless, Adsense doesn't like it. Therefore, I'd recommend staying away from doing it unless you get an OK from adsense. I guess it depends on if you want to risk losing your Adsense account.

mdvaldosta, Jul 20, 2006 IP
    whitespider likes this.
  12. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    When you send something out to 200,000 people that you don't know, that's SPAM, brother.

13. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Huh.. well.. there it is.. in black & green.. no bulletins for me!

Now.. what exactly is referrer-spam?!

Tearabite, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  14. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    You know, all those v*agra and p*rn sites showing up in your awstats logs as referrals, when there is no links to your site from theirs.

I've never done a myspace bulletin, nor have I ever sent mass email. Nevertheless though, I wouldn't think that opt-in emails would be considered SPAM by definition, although I do think it's spammy (if that makes sense) and unprofessional.

mdvaldosta, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  15. NoobieDoobieDo

NoobieDoobieDo Peon

Best Answers:
    If using myspace bulletins to bring traffic to your site is against the google TOS then I think google adsense is a POS

These people have more rules than the IRS.

Get real google !

NoobieDoobieDo, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  16. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    I post this bulletin every day on myspace (updated everyday of course) to about 1600 people, but I will probably add more people in the future, but I doubt I will ever get more than 10,00 if even that.. Would you consider this spam?

billabong7329, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  17. GLD

GLD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    billabong - I'd personally qualify that as spam as the promotion of your site takes up a lot more space than the actual quote does. I think the link at the top would suffice.

OUt of interest, how many uniques do you get for each bulletin you post?

GLD, Jul 20, 2006 IP
  18. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    well do you think if I took out the link at the bottom and maybe the banner, that it would seem less spam like?

Also, I'm not really sure. I use statcounter.com to track my stats, but it bases all the stats on the last 100 users, and sometimes not even that many. But I would say I probably get about 50 unique visitors a day from myspace, whether it be from my bulletin, my profile, or one of my threads on two of the myspace forums (literature and philosophy)

Is there a better way to track stats?

19. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your host should have their own server logs. Always better than these free ones.

20. billabong7329

billabong7329 Peon

Best Answers:
    my host is sitesled and it doesn't offer any kind of logs. I'm sure once I'm ready to get a paid host it will have one.

like I said I'm using statcounter right now, but its pretty lame . .but its free so I shouldn't complain.

I was just looking at some inks on sitesled and they link to www.wecounthits.com . Anyone ever try this out?