1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is using cracked or pirated software really a viable option?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Content Maestro, Feb 18, 2015.

?

What would you choose?

1. I would pay for the software.

87.5%
  2. I would use a cracked or pirated or a hacked version.

12.5%
    The question doesn't need any explanation.

My stand:
    Just because others are doing it and the internet is flooded with torrents and file-sharing sites facilitating cracks for almost any software, it DOESN'T mean you should also do it. It's a GRAVE misconception that you can save money by using these cracked versions and just get off with it.
    1) Most of the cracks are usually very unstable and heavily eat your system's hardware and/or software resources. Consequently, your system crashes or freezes constantly. It's performance is severely deteriorated and it wears out much earlier than expected.
    2) Another problem with cracks is they don't get updated automatically. Whenever a new version of the program is out, you need to download the new crack again and install it for use. Frequent or constant installation-and-uninstallation causes a lot of problems to your hard disk as well as your OS.
    3) Most of these so-called harmless cracks are filled with malwares, spywares and various kinds of viruses. You don't even know how they get inside your system and start infecting it! Haven't you ever noticed something queer - like your default browser's home page has changed automatically and all of a sudden!!?? It's not only limited to this, but your confidentiality and privacy are also at a big risk! If your storage contains sensitive personal data such as important passwords and credit/debit card numbers, there are great chances that this information will be stolen and misused.
    4) Normally when you download, install and use cracks, you are redirected through a pool of insecure websites that leave harmful cookies in your browser. Your browsing history is stealthily monitored and preferences are changed. More often than not, you start noticing strange and unwanted popups as a result!
    5) The most important point is when you use cracks, you're violating the copyrights involved and breaking the law. Not only can you get sued for copyright infringement as a result, you also subject yourself to various liabilities (which can be light or severe, depending on the nature of breach).

These are points that just occurred to me on the fly. For sure, there are many other risks involved.

What do you say? (Poll above)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Content Maestro, Feb 18, 2015 IP
    TB Ann, Hungryforsuccess and jrbiz like this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Nice compilation, @Content Maestro. You also generally have to provide at least an email address and that, of course, opens this email address up to spamming, phishing, etc.

jrbiz, Feb 18, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  3. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's mostly a case with file-hosting/sharing services. Torrents generally, as per my knowledge, don't require you to submit your email. But uploading, sharing and downloading cracked software versions via torrents is illegal - at least that's what the law says. But how many really care?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. pactive

pactive Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have two reasons that I don't use cracked/pirated software.

1. Using it is like the lotto. You never know when you're going to hit it and download a cracked/pirated version with a keylogger, adware, or malware. Virustotal is not always right, it doesn't always flag malware, and even flags legit stuff.

2. Most businesses offer a free trial of their software that you can download to see if it will fit your needs. If it does, then they should really be compensated for their work.

pactive, Feb 18, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and jrbiz like this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Let me expand on the above #2, a bit. If this is a useful tool for you, surely you want to pay a fair share to the developer so that s/he can continue to support and enhance the tool. It is in your best interest to do this if the tool is important to you.

jrbiz, Feb 18, 2015 IP
  6. MyPcGadget.com

MyPcGadget.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, absolutely prefer to buy the software but I sometimes "tried the software" to see if it´s useful to me.

MyPcGadget.com, Feb 18, 2015 IP
    Hungryforsuccess likes this.
  7. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    No problem with testing the software at all. Almost every company releases a 'trial' or 'limited' copy of the main software so that interested users can download it legally and check whether it suits them.

However, if you're downloading, installing and using a cracked version of the fully-functional copy, you're not only laying yourself on the line but it shows a contemptuous disregard towards the developer's/manufacturer's efforts.
    @jrbiz, I think the point you made in another thread applies here equally.
    The question was -

jrbiz likes this.
  8. nard

nard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Downloading cracks for software you need can be quite risky if your daily activities involve staying on the internet and managing everything online. By getting and installing pirated software you are exposing your computer to malware that could cause system vulnerability. It ultimately exposes you to different threats and if you handle financial transactions online (which I’m sure you do) you will be risking having important information stolen. Despite these, I can’t really blame why people resort to downloading cracked and pirated software, given the amount you have to shed of each software it’s really not easy to buy everything.

nard, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  9. 1234nasir

1234nasir Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Usually we used crack for windows installation, not for other softwares and doesn't face any problem.

1234nasir, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  10. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I couldn't really get what you're trying to say, but are you implying that you use a cracked version of a software only when you need to use it on a Windows platform, and not on any other non-Win platform such as Linux or Mac? Anyway, using cracks causes a lot of problems whether you're aware of it or not.

Content Maestro, Apr 15, 2015 IP
  11. KatnissEverdeen

KatnissEverdeen Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont use or run any cracked copy of anything. In my opinion if you chose to run this type of program that you run it in Sandboxie. Which you can download for free at: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie=

That way you get the software/program that you want without the risk of any adware, malware, viruses, or RATs.

KatnissEverdeen, Apr 17, 2015 IP
  12. TB Ann

TB Ann Banned

Best Answers:
    Thus reason why there is Free Software Foundation. SO instead of using software that you cant afford such s photoshop. use GIMP instead.

TB Ann, Apr 17, 2015 IP
  13. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    What is Sandboxie?:confused:
    Exactly. There's a free alternative available for almost every need and I believe the Free Software Foundation is already working on developing new ones that are not in the market currently. Obviously, you'll not get from a free version everything a paid one offers, though there may be some exceptions.

Content Maestro, Apr 17, 2015 IP
  14. KatnissEverdeen

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer. The red arrows indicate changes flowing from a running program into your computer. The box labeled Hard disk (no sandbox) shows changes by a program running normally. The box labeled Hard disk (with sandbox)shows changes by a program running under Sandboxie. The animation illustrates that Sandboxie is able to intercept the changes and isolate them within a sandbox, depicted as a yellow rectangle. It also illustrates that grouping the changes together makes it easy to delete all of them at once.

It is just a program that allows you to run other programs in it so as you dont do any sort of damage to your PC.

15. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info @KatnissEverdeen.:) I think it's really a very good idea to have or dedicate a separate space for running programs that you think are suspicious. Do we have this thing for Linux or any alternative if not?

Content Maestro, Apr 17, 2015 IP
  16. KatnissEverdeen

Best Answers:
    I do not currently know of any other versions or types of this product and I dont believe that it is available for Linux. I will try to look into and get back to you. I am glad that I could get this information out to you and others. It is a good item to have on hand if you feel like you could possibly be running something that could potentially be malicious.

17. cashdash

cashdash Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree with this. Some software are just too ridiculously expensive and not worth the price. Photoshop for example. I heard it talked about everyday. People photoshopping this and that. I don't think I do not deserve the software just because I can't afford it. But selling it to other people is another story though. Don't let me get started with Windows.

None of you actually know a single thing about pirating and torrenting judging by your posts, no offense to anyone. Someone in this thread even mentioned that you need an email address to use torrents. Seriously? Better don't say anything about a topic if you have no idea what it is.

I actually save a huge deal of money torrenting, mind you. I have many PCs and I heard that when you purchase a license you can just install it for a few times before having to buy it again. That is not fair based on my standpoint. It seems that these greedy corporates want more money by restricting the number of times you can install the software.

And about viruses, any PC user (pirating or non-pirating) will acquire malware sooner or later. That's why antiviruses were invented. Malware is most commonly distributed in P2P sharing by hired anti-piracy organizations in a futile attempt to halt the piracy of the products of their employers. A good rule of thumb is to look at the trust of the user who uploaded the torrent.

I only buy a software/game once it gained my respect and wish to support the developers. If the developers are already filthy rich and ripping off their customers, then they can pray that I would pay for the software in the next century. I live in a third world country where anyone who doesn't know how to pirate are called retarded noobs. Sorry, I don't know about pirating in the US/UK because I heard the ISPs there will report to the authorities if you are caught.

But here, nope. We can download away. We have the ability to get nearly any digital item for free while others paid for it. Those corporations probably overused to "virus risk" to scare off people who are new to the tech world. If you live in the US/UK then sorry to say, you are restricted from doing what we do here.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    cashdash, May 4, 2015 IP
  18. cashdash

cashdash Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's called a virtual machine. Virtual machines are frequently used by avid torrenters and malware experts to keep viruses out. I so far found virtualbox to be very effective in this. But you need to install Windows in it first, which you can easily obtain via P2P. Another downside for those who don't pirate. :)

cashdash, May 4, 2015 IP
  19. KatnissEverdeen

Best Answers:
    I was talking about Sandboxie, a Program that you can download for FREE and does not required you to install Windows on it. You just run the questionable program in it safely.
    I mean you could just get a VM but you have to find one that you like, that works, is FREE or cost very little. Once you have that there is a lot of steps to go through. I have found VMs to be more of a pain. I would much rather just use Sandboxie.........

KatnissEverdeen, May 4, 2015 IP