1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this Secure?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by mani, Dec 22, 2006.

Hello
    I have purchased a hosting account on hostgator with my father's credit card, but they are asking me for a scanned copy of his Credit Card,

I buy domains and other stuff without any trouble then why they are asking...

Is this secure if i send them an image of credit card???

Please guide...

Thanks

mani, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  2. mani

mani Peon

Best Answers:
    could anyone help me???

mani, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No it's not secure.

However, they are probably trying to protect themselves from fraud. If you don't want to do it, I would tell them that you aren't comfortable with scanning your card and sending it to them as it is not a secure method of transferring it. Ask them if there is something else you can do to verify the card or yourself, or ask them if they have a secure method to get it to them. It would need to be a secure SSL uploading system or something similar. You could also ZIP the file and password protect it, but I'm not sure how secure that method is.

jestep, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  4. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    With you using your father's card - they are probably trying to verify the transaction i.e. do you have your father's permission, etc?

The should not ask you for a scanned back back if it is Visa / Mastercard. AmEx has their 4-digit code on the front and that should not be transmitted either

Corey Bryant, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  5. jjoshua

jjoshua Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should inquire and ask why do they want to get a scanned copy of your credit card. And, who requested for the scanned image? Was it an email by hostgator? Could be a fake cover-up. Check Hostgator's policies or inquire the actual admin.

jjoshua, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  6. evirtualcard

evirtualcard Peon

Best Answers:
    Take caution because of phishing mails around, they can be easily identified by leaving the mouse over the link, than look below.
    Never reply to an email, just do a thing:
    give them a phone call and ask them about this issue, that is safer.
    Never send credit card data with non-secure email.
    See you soon. :D

evirtualcard, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  7. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is a standard fraud screening procedure with many web hosts. Hostgator isn't an unheard-of web host for that matter. Don't worry about it.

eXe, Dec 24, 2006 IP
  8. Renegade

Renegade Peon

Best Answers:
    Sending a scanned image inside of a ZIP file is secure if there are no other files in the ZIP file and the password is long or complex.

ZIP 2.0 encryption is classified as weak because if you send a password protected ZIP with a file that a potential cracker has, they can get into the file using the file that they already know the contents of to decrypt it. So, as long as you know that the files in the password protected ZIP aren't available to anyone other than yourself and in the ZIP file, the contents are secure.

Renegade, Dec 26, 2006 IP