1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by NewComputer, Jun 24, 2004.

While using the keyword tracker here, I see daily fluctuations of as high as 9000+. It seems to correct itself over time, but that seems odd. Is Googles database updating that regularily for my search phrases? Is it just timing for me?

NewComputer, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I get the same too...

It seems to be when a search terms either enters or exits the first 200 (or whatever you set it to) results...

I think...

SEbasic, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a peculiarity of Shawns program. The program default is only to look for a term in the first 100 places. You can adjust this to look as deep as the first 200 places. However when the term enters or leaves this level -- in other words goes from #99 to #101 -- Shawn reports that it has disappeared. And because Google displays 10,000 pages in any search he reports it has dropped by 10,000 pages less its prior place.

He does this because the system does not search deeper than 100 or 200 and so he has no idea where the page actually is.

compar, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  4. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does that mean that I have been dropped from Google for this term or just out of the top 100 or 200. All three of these options seem a little harsh to be happening daily.

5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It means you are out of the top however deep you have the keyword setup to look (you can check under Edit Preferences).

digitalpoint, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But does it make sense that it could jump up and down 100 to 200 to 9999 positions in one day. A few of the searched I check are routinely rising and falling in an extreme manner.

7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    It's common for a new site to jump and drop extremely in the serps. So if you're site is new, yes, it's normal.

And as DigitalPoint & Compar explained, your keywords arn't actually dropping to #9999, they are just below #200 (could be that they only dropped to #201 and the KW Tracker will report it as #9999).

:D

ViciousSummer, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  8. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Im beginning to think nothing is hotter than a girl who talks about SERPs. ;) lol

schlottke, Jun 24, 2004 IP