1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this copyright infringement?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Amiko, Oct 26, 2011.

Hey everyone,

I recently started up a site for top 10s, and also some other assorted posts. One of the more popular ones are the "Gallery" posts of girls/celebs/models which people like. What I do is just pick a bunch from google images and put them together.

Here's an example: http://www.hitting10.com/marisa-miller-gallery/

My question is, is this infringing copyright in some way? Can I get into trouble for doing this and if so, what are some ways around it and how do I solve any potential future problems, I really want to keep this up because it's getting good traffic and proved to be successful.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Amiko, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  2. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    If you decide to use google images you have to link the picture to the location where you got it. This means every picture should be clickable. It's only fair. However if you don't want to make the image clickable then you should place the link to the source at the bottom of the posting.

People can get upset with you when you use their pictures without their permission. Be sure to also include a way people can contact you if they want their pictures removed. It's always nice to give them the option and people seem to respect a website much more when they provide that option. Good luck with your website.

sweetcrabhoney18, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  3. Orangine

Orangine Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    is it illegal? most likely. are you going to get punished? very unlikely. unles you start making serious $$$ out of your site nobody will care

Orangine, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  4. conspicuous

conspicuous Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the copyright holders have the ability to come after you and shut you down. If you're making money, they could come after you and sue you for damages.

Is that likely? Your such a small fish with small traffic right now that it is unlikely. But could it happen? Yes.

conspicuous, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  5. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dave Zan, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  6. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    TRy asking this in the legal section. Its a COPYRIGHT issue, not COPYWRITING

contentboss, Oct 26, 2011 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong forum and yes, it is against copyright law. Linking back does not magically grant you usage rights, although many authors and photographers will settle for that.

YMC, Oct 27, 2011 IP