1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this a good idea for drumming up work?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by MyWriterGirl, Feb 6, 2014.

Is it a good idea to send thank you notes to clients after the work is completed, or with the completed work? And is it a good idea to message those clients of you have not heard from them since you delivered their order, just to say hello and let them know you offering a special for past clients and then spell out the promotional gift idea you have? End it with a thanks, and have a nice day?

Thanks for responding!;)

MyWriterGirl, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's always a good idea to touch base with clients especially if you have a polite amicable personality. Just avoid going overboard and making a nuisance of yourself.
    It demonstrates motivation and a certain ambition that could be lost on the client, if you were to hide in the corner like an under achieving little mouse.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  3. MyWriterGirl

MyWriterGirl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Clever, words for a clear visual picture. Thanks.

MyWriterGirl, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  4. 会成功的

会成功的 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's always good to send them personalised holiday greetings, but with no offers or references to the work, this way they'll remember you.
    Customise it to mention their name, possibly what you did for them, try to build up a real relationship.

(If you know he has a wife and children - don't be creepy - maybe he's mentioned it)

If you see a customer has gotten married on facebook or somewhere, send them a congratulatory message.

Also it's good to contact them a while after delivering a product or service to make sure it worked out well for them.

Remember, the value is on the offer, not the delivery. Most people wont act on the existing sale, but they will remember you and possibly contact you back if they need something new.

I try to avoid promoting my products as much as possible in these messages so they feel it as a more personal relationship and not just a marketing ploy.

No one ever thinks it was sweet or kind of Google sending them a coupon in the mail.

Try and keep it short and simple. They will appreciate a message, but also wont want to read an essay about it.

会成功的, Feb 6, 2014 IP
  5. bananamonkey

bananamonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    I think sending thank you notes are a great idea, in many situations, it would be great to send them to a previous customer, just to touch base and ask how they are doing and how they like the product/service. This can be applied in any field IMO, after an interview, it always helps (never hurts) to shoot the employers a message touching base and thanking them! just my 2 cents

bananamonkey, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  6. bordello

bordello Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not a good idea, being a client my self I know why sellers approach all the time, does not matter if you are trying to sell something or not.
    If you did your job pretty well first time, Clients will definitlely come back to you again

bordello, Feb 9, 2014 IP
  7. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. It's common for me to see clients regularly return. Delivering good work to clients who appreciate quality always pays off!

awundrin, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  8. Sean DeSilva

Sean DeSilva Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Did you know that almost every single day of the year has some kind of holiday associated with it?

And wouldn't it just be great if you could put together a handful of the lesser-known ones, and take a couple days a month to send out some informative and humorous cards that pertain to those unusual holidays.

Unlike Christmas and Thanksgiving, probably none of your competition is sending out similar cards. in a way you would be demoing your creative and unique side during times that are typically lulls of the month. (hint hint)

Sean DeSilva, Feb 18, 2014 IP
  9. malcolmlon

malcolmlon Peon

Best Answers:
    I think keeping in touch with clients is no bad thing, as long as it's not too often. I deal with so many people each day its nice to get a reminder of a job well done.

malcolmlon, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  10. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree with Bordello and Awundrin. At least on the point that it's a bad thing to touch base with clients. While I do agree that good work should stand for itself, people are busy and can forget or neglect.

Further, if you're in business, you can't get too uppity about getting sales contacts. That's how we wal make money and there's nothing wrong with a former contractor touching base at see how we are, or us doing that to clients.

it shows initiative and dispalys interest. you don't have to hard sell, but to say that it's a bad idea I think is a bit short sighted.

SCookAAM, Feb 23, 2014 IP
  11. Penny44

Penny44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good work will stand on it's own, but I don't think that it is a bad idea to keep in touch with clients as long as it isn't too often. I think letting past clients know when you have a special promotion running is a good idea too just don't bug them by sending messages all of the time.

Penny44, Feb 24, 2014 IP
  12. GoFISH

GoFISH Peon

Best Answers:
    Quite often after signing 'ANY' product off to a customer, I always call back up (generally 2-4 weeks later not to make them feel I am 'too eager') to ask, "Hey, how did your customers respond to your new website?", or, "Just been looking through some stuff and thought you might like this...". Generally I find a lot of my clients ask for additional work responding with, "Was just thinking of ringing you, blah blah blah", and reeling off some requirements they have and timescale. I like to work with clients while they're warm, and by this I mean still biting for more work. They often give us feedback saying how they feel we care about them, and that they appreciate a follow up call.

I always prepare myself for bad news however whenever I do this, and if there's a problem, and it's our fault, we rectify it, assuring the customer they should of rang us straight away. This gives us good rapor with the customer, as everyone makes mistakes, but it's the ones who uphold their word and deliver a quality product whom get the REPEAT CUSTOM, which is why you SHOULD do a follow up call. Obviously there are different scenarios where you wouldn't do this e.g. someone purchases a small items such as something less than £100.

I think it also depends on the service provided too. Ask yourself, "Is this feedback necessary?" if it's not, you're wasting your time. Also ask yourself, "If I were the customer, would I want an aftersales call, and if not, would I appreciate one?". Worse case scenario is the customer requests you do not bother them again (it does happen), be polite and simply apologise and uphold your promise (that's the important bit, integrity, they WILL ALWAYS remember). Good luck!

GoFISH, Feb 27, 2014 IP
    SCookAAM likes this.
  13. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very good points, GoFish, I totally agree. Any successful business person ALWAYS follows up with customers when you're in a service business. Anyone who doesn't, or who thinks you shouldn't, will probably either not be very successful or find that they have to continually work very hard to get business.

Referral work is the best payoff. It comes from providing qualift work and by being respectfully attentive.

SCookAAM, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  14. TDI India

TDI India Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody can say that saying thank you is a bad idea, nobody in business, nobody in personal life. A "thank you" is not just a display of etiquette but also a wonderful way of appreciating the effort on the client's part (oh yes, don't think for even a minute that you were the only one doing the actual work :p). And communicating new offers for a past client can never be a bad idea (there wouldn't be a huge industry called advertising otherwise), but I would just prefer it better if the "special" offers are replaced with customized offers. I mean, you have worked for him and you know his requirements. Use up that knowledge!

TDI India, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  15. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Saying "thank you" is great. Once.

Double this for me: it's extremely annoying and works in the opposite direction to the one desired. When I have freelancers who keep contacting me to say hello and check in, I end up sending them an email that bluntly states I will contact them when I have work.

The exception to this, IMHO, is with larger companies. When they've got a dozen projects on the go at any one time, it's worth popping a note in occasionally, but I would definitely avoid trying to make friends. That just stinks of false emotion, much like parroting "Have a nice day!" to everyone.

No, it wouldn't. As if "secretarys' day", "managers' day" and "someone else in the company who might possibly feel undervalued even though they get paid regularly day" weren't enough. Ugh. :(

TIEro, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  16. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Hello. I've been checking out work at home positions, and I keep finding opportunities for writers. Here's several I found on the WAHM forum.

http://www.wahm.com/jobs.html

On this page scroll down to the middle, where it says: "Added: 3/18/14"..."Added: 3/17/14"..."Added: 3/14/14"..."Added: 3/13/14"... etc. They list new jobs almost every day. I can't vouch for any, as I haven't worked for these companies. I just thought this might be helpful if someone is looking for work.

Earlier I saw one that paid $40 an article. I just hit the back button because it's not the job I want, and later it occurred to me that I should have shared it. Anyway, if I find any more interesting job offers I may post them here.

p.s. Oh. Here's one to write about copywriting.
    http://jobs.problogger.net/view/8141
    Again, you'll want to research the company as I haven't worked for them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Rebecca, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  17. TDI India

TDI India Active Member

Best Answers:
    Now why do I feel that there MUST be a better place for this? :p but yeah, they will definitely be of help.

TDI India, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  18. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    LOL. I thought the same, but I wasn't sure where. :) As far as freelancing, I love photography. It's just been hard to make enough money. Now I'm adding transcription as an "egg in my basket" and WAHM has been extremely helpful in finding jobs.

Rebecca, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  19. TDI India

TDI India Active Member

Best Answers:
    (Sigh) Sometimes I feel that there is some form of higher regulation which makes us work harder for money if we are doing something for the love of it! hehe

TDI India, Mar 20, 2014 IP
    Rebecca likes this.
  20. itsMrsWhite2

itsMrsWhite2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I will send a thank you note to one of my clients with the invoice I send but I do have a more friendly relationship with her. I contacted her just last night as I hadn't heard anything, not because I wanted more work but just to see if all was okay.

I think there is nothing wrong with thanking them for hiring you but I agree that you should not go overboard with it.

itsMrsWhite2, Mar 22, 2014 IP